Sign in to follow this  
bholio

Clearcoat on Lexan

I've used clearcoat to add a nice shiny layer to the paint on my Blackfoot. I also used clearcoat over the paint (actually primer) and decals of my Sonic fighter. In both cases the clearcoat made a big (positive) difference. I used automotive clearcoat, from a spray can, purchased at an auto parts store.

Now, I would like to clearcoat my lexan Madcap to seal the decals in place. The original owner of my Madcap did a pretty good job applying the decals and I would like to seal them on using the clearcoat.

The question is, if the Lexan bends, what happens to the clearcoat? Will it break off like non-lexan paint? Is there a better product to use to seal the decals?

I strictly recommend you don't use a clearcoat on lexan. Because I have painted thousands of bodies for customers, friends and myself during 21 years, I have of course always been on the outlook for products that could enhance the quality and ease the work. I have never seen a clearcoat product suitable for lexan, and if you use an automotive clearcoat, it will either etch the plastic, thereby ruining, or more likely, flake off, and most likely leave "scars". On a dark colour you could of course try PS31 Smoke, but the chance that dust would get caught in the paint is very large. Dust and particles is of course also a problem when using a clearcoat on opaque (hard plastic bodies), but will be much more visible on lexan bodies, and much harder to remove.

If anybody out there has any tips for a suitable clearcoat, I too would be delighted to know about it.

I painted a lexanbody once with clearcoat on the outside.

I used Glasurit automotive clear paint, and added much softener

in it. The softener is an additive we use when we paint plastic fenders and rubber spoilers om real cars. It worked great for me.

BUT I CANNOT GUARANTEE IT WILL WORK TO OTHER PEPOLE!. So now my back is free, and i can sleep at night[^]

Stian

Do not use clearcoat on the outside of lexan. Yes it will protect the stickers from lifting at the corners, but there's more likelihood that it will flake off when the lexan is bent or impacted (eg when you take it on/off). Very unsightly.

PS31 is a lexan paint, it dries matte and very rough. If you spray it on wet enough to leave a semigloss coat it will start running. It is also tinted so your stickers and underlying color will become darker.

If you are so scared of your stickers lifting, you could try to glue them down with superglue. Dab some under the corners with a pin.

Unlike most of the Tamiya PS lexan paint range, PS31 Smoke dries gloss, unless air humidity is exceptionally high. As I wrote in my first comment, being smoke coloured it would only be suitable as a "clearcoat" for dark colours.