Sign in to follow this  
bangstick

FG monster or is there another choice?

Due to mates losing limbs and just basically dying over the last 14 years of my biking life i have been toying with the idea of selling my zxr750 which should net me about a grand. Obviously anybody in their right mind would splash out and buy lots of rc stuff. Top of my list is some big 2 stroke beast and wanted opinions on what you guys recommend. The FG monster looks good, FG marder goes good with a 29cc engine in it, and now theres these new hpi cars in their range. Decisions decisions[:D]

I have the FG Monster Truck,I would have preffered the Marder to be honest as I always liked the look of it but at the time the MT wasn't much more expensive and the motto "bigger is better" was running through my head!

I have had a few problems with my FG,mainly cause it is a learning experience.

If you got on okay without threadlock on cars before be prepared for a shock,everything that is metal to metal contact needs it or it comes loose,trust me I know.

Nothing though beats the size and the sound,my FG sounds like a small motorbike when at full speed and the running on petrol as opposed to nitro is cheap to say the least,£20 a gallon for nitro as opposed to what,£5 for petrol.

Just be prepared to do maintainance though,it needs work for it to run okay,you cant just get it out run it put it away and run it next week without having to do or check something.

I did pre-order the HPI Baja 5 but got fed up with the delays.

Id go for the FG.

Ive had plenty of fun with my FG Monster truck, i put it away mucky and with fuel still in, and it will start after a couple of pulls a week later. Loads of power, great looks,great size. If you do buy one, buy a couple of spare spur gears though and a steel pinion as these 2 gears suffer from the power and any muck that gets inbetween the teeth. 

Any idea when these new FG's are coming out, im not known for my patience when money's in the bank[;)]. Those camo ones looks the dogs, i do like a bit of camo.

There's the new HPI Baja buggy that's 1:5 scale and looks like the old Kyosho buggies....

http://www.hpieurope.com/kit-info.php?part...601〈=en

I have the new Savage X and you need a pretty big open area to stretch it's legs. You could spend the grand on buying an X or a 4.6SS and hopping it up with big motor, aluminium parts, 3 speed box,  tuned pipe etc and have an unbelievably fast 1:8 basher!!! for well under £1K.......

If I would want a big scale off road I would also go for the HPI Baja Buggy, the FGs are basically an old outdated car from the early 90s with many shortcoming and problems that haven't really been improved since then, the HPI is a much newer and better design, also looks much nicer, like old Kyosho buggies as it was designed by an old Kyosho designer [H]

Cheers

FG Monster beetle every time,chuck some dosh at the drivetrain with Elcon bits.

The beetle is slightly shorter than the truck it steers quicker and takes the tumbles better because of the shape of the body,it might of been designed 20 years ago but still rocks.If you are going to race buy a Horemann HT1.

Hmmm,

It seems that no matter what car you run that isn't leccy its gonna be aggro whether its nitros not starting or cutting out or the 2 stroke ones rattling themselves to bits. I might go for a marder as they seem to fly and are loads cheaper. Bellys 29cc one is pure evil and sounds like a small motocrosser, not the most handsome machine but christ on a bike does it go![:P]