Sign in to follow this  
Tinno

RPM Monster claws fitting problem

http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/products/whee...es/crmonclz.htm

I have a set of these wheels.  The rear's are hex fitting, no problems, the fronts are for 2wd with bearings.

The problem that I have is that the monster claws wheel hub (erm the bit in the middle that the shaft goes through is narrower than thr original wheel hub of the rim on the mad bull.

getuserimage.asp?t=n&id=img6213_20032006123827_1.jpg

of course, on my exploded diagram it was the only bit that did not have a part number associated with it [:|]

if the thread were longer on the end, it would not be a problem (well actually I think that it may foul the steering at the back)

I guess I am looking for some way of shimming the shaft out (if that is the right term) I tried to do this with some old bearing that I had (plastic) but found that when you tighten up the wheel nut, the whell binds.  It seemed that there is s very small lip, right at the back of the joint that the internal part of the bearing contacts, but it does not contact the top part of the bearing (therefore spinning freely)

any ideas as to the best way forward. are there some other two wheel drive front "knuckles" (for want of a better description) that I could fit, butcher up to fit into my mad bull. or is there a way of filling out the slack space.

many thanks all.

Tinno

Try one or two of the smaller 5x8mm bushings as spacers.  They shouldn't bind up the bearings like the larger bushings do when used as spacers.

thanks for the advice Razer,

when you say bushings, do you mean the 580 bearings? or are the 5x8mm bushings something else?

cheers

Yes, that's what I meant.  Here in the US, what you call ballraces, we call bearings and what you call bearings, we call bushings.  It's a little trickier than tyres = tires, lol.

O.k now I'm really confused, and I thought that I had this sussed out.

Ballrace, and bearings, same thing = MB7 in the diagram. no problems wiht that, got it covered.

bearings = bushings, I am just plain confused.

on some of the old classic cars (circa 1960 /1970 1:1 ) a bushing was made of rubber, or even bronze (or that might be brass) in some instances and they were sort of designed to wear and be replaced to protect the more expensive parts of suspension / steering.

can you help me out a bit more, part number or picture perhaps.

I really appreciate the help (and I feel like such a dunce sometimes.)  :-)

cheers

Tamiya and apparently the UK calls these bearings:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...=LXGN37&P=7

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...=LXSK70&P=7

Here in the US, we call them bushings.  I didn't find any of the 5x8mm size from Tamiya on that website, but I have alot of Traxxas vehicles & they have several different thicknesses of them:

These are the sort I was talking about originally & I know Tamiya kits have them too.  I know the TA-01 & TA-02 cars have them in the gearboxes.  Here they are:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...=LXJK83&P=7

Traxxas also has some plastic ones in various thicknesses:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...=LXLR52&P=7

I usually have loads of these when I replace them with bearings/ballraces, & then I end up using them as spacers.

It would be alot easier if the English we speak & the English you speak were the same!  It should be easier to figure out with the pictures, but feel free to keep asking if I'm still not explaining it well enough.  I was always a better student than a teacher!

Cheers! [:D]

Neil

Afaik bushings are called the simple friction type bearings (bronze or plastic) while bearings can be either bushings or ball bearings, so to avoid misunderstandings the best is to use the terms, bushing, plastig bearing, bronze bearing or ball bearing.

Cheers

Thanks guys, thats made it much clearer.

I had never come across bushing before.

I'd seen plastic bearing in the kits, and these were all similar to the metal bearings that I replaced them with.

the bushings are just a solid material and are instead of bearings.

Perhaps, if this doesn't work, a replacement "knuckle" would be a better idea

So what cars can fit the wheels properly is perhaps the question I should be asking, then I can see if some parts can be used as replacements so that the wheels fit properly.