Sign in to follow this  
Biscuit

Lexan paint removal?

Hi, Does anybody know how to remove paint from inside a Lexan shell? besides sand paper. Will brake fluid do the job without harming the shell, any ideas would be most welcome.

Thanks

Steve.

there are tons of threads on this so you best bet is to use the search feature.

I used carex low acetone skin friendly nail varnish remover to strip the out side of my madcap shell as the last owner didnt like white so he/she sprayed it purple on the outside [8-)] . It worked a treat and doesnt seem to have effected the strength of the plastic yet . I just used a tough tooth brush and kept it wet with the remover and just made small circular motions on the paint. Took about 2 hours. The finished product isnt superb but will be great for a runner. Will try and get some pics up soon before and after.

Thanks Guys, If I could buy another  shell I would, but its a 959 in good nick just some of the paint is flaking here and there, but some of it looks like its on there to stay. I guess no one has found an easy way yet. I have a bead blaster at work and I have used that in the past with good effect as long as it is turned down low, but if the paints on good it will end up blowing a hole through it, as you try too hard to get it off. Can you get Re Pro stikers for the 959? could try the Kamtec shell but it dont look so nice. Any one got any other Ideas? Thanks for all the replies.[:)]

Steve.

there is a set nib rothmans decal kit on the bay @ 75 gbp, i do have ot say tho, it is over priced, as they are really only making 50 -55 gbp

if looking for a cheaper replacement try modelbuild as they do tend to have or can get repo stickers, for the kamtech tech.......cheapo and nasty

andy

Thanks used some nitro, 25% Duraglo, took me about 5 hours but its off. Had to use a scouring pad and a tooth brush messy job! It looks a bit foggy but i think it will be ok, might rough it up with some 600 wet and dry before painting. Got most of the stickers of with a hair dryer, put them on some backing paper, should be able to use them again, I have done it before. Thanks again for your help.