Sign in to follow this  
Japanscaledriver

The Dark Impact

I've got a question about the DI tyres.

I've noticed that on various internet shops you can buy a more expensive version of the kit tyres.

These are labelled "C" instead of "K" but otherwise look identical.

I'm assuming that they are a softer compound, more "race-worthy" than the kit tyres.

Has anybody tried this other compound, and if so what were they like ?

I'm guessing that as the kit tyres are quite a hard compound comapared to other racey tyres the alternate compound is softer.

No actual experience, just a guess.

Elliott.

Nope, car is still bullet proof. Hit many tree roots and logs a full speed without breaking.

I still love it.

Elliott.

My head hurts!  I've read as much of this thread as I can but still don't know the answer to a question - are the 3 Racing univerals a good fit?  I think I read somewhere that they were a touch too short?

Ta

Pete

Heres a couple of photos of my Dark Impact.

I gotta agree, easy enough build but I still hate circlips, nice layout and design. The front shock tower looks vulnerable, as you'll see I switched mine right off for an alloy one. Drive wise, not bad! The turning circle is a bit too wide but not intolerable. On our mostly astroturf track it grips forever, prefers to roll over than skid, drifts nicely on the dirt sections so gotta be ready to catch it there. I have a 16 turn hi torque motor installed and would still like to get a slightly larger pinion on it.

It gives my mates 2WD Associated RC10 B4 a badword of a run, higher acceleration thanks to the 4WD but a little less top speed and wider in turns but still makes up time on turns as its 4WD and a little slower through them, more controllable. The back end doesn't fly out on the astroturf like Pauls RC10.. With that larger pinion, Pauls gonna eat my dust!

IMGP0006.jpg

IMGP0020.jpg

My head hurts!  I've read as much of this thread as I can but still don't know the answer to a question - are the 3 Racing univerals a good fit?  I think I read somewhere that they were a touch too short?

Ta

Pete

I am not running my DI at this time due to the fact I have snapped and warped 2 brands of uni's.  I was forced to race expert mod 4wd (I ran with the $500 4wd's) at my local indoor track, and that is when my 3racing cvd's shredded (I only use cvd's in front) after 3 minutes in a qualifier.  2 weeks later I receive YeahRacing cvd's and in the A main I snapped the right cvd and the left was seriously warped- like a boomerang!  To answer your question, they (3racing) fit, but I think yeahracing's are stronger.  Also I heard some people going with Tamiya's DF-02 uni's.  I hope I helped some????

I back up Kowalski's post of BULLET PROOF..  I raced as hard as possible on a UNFORGIVING OFF-ROAD track, and not 1 peice of the stock parts ever broke- I did 3 cartwheels and other flips and I was expecting a snap from the A-arms-NEVER HAPPENED!  The only things I broke were aftermarket CVD's and a 3racing front carbon damper stay (cracked).

Gotta Love it, Rob

So, anyone having any issues or notable success?

Notable success, I won my 1st 3 Sportsman 19T 4wd races (winner got $'s).  Then I was moved by the Track owners Son to Expert MOD 4wd where I had problems with CVD's due to the Power increase (GTX and D6 11x2).  I would still be racing Xpert 4wd if I did not have the CVD issue..  Note: I ran against BJ4's, XX4's and XXX4's, Lazers, KX-5's, YOK BX's and 1 other - the 501X.  I gained a alot of Respect and so did my Dark Impact...  Rob

Unfortunately I haven't been so lucky.

I took my DI to the local 1/8 track, and within a few minutes a shock shaft on the rear bent.

I've broken two chassis, and a few weeks ago I managed to somehow break a rear arm.

For those who do not have them, the front and rear suspension arm braces (that hold the suspension pins in) are very handy.  When I broke the rear arm, the suspension pin didn't bend because of the brace.

Slipper clutch update....

Got to send the B4 gearbox to RW Racing tomorrow so he can see the

exact fitting on the B4 and thread length required.  He is looking

at getting the first ones done early to middle of next week as he has

had a few emails already.

Hey, sorry to bump this ancient post! But!

Re: B4 slipper mainshafts for DF03.

I've got one of these already, but people are now moaning about these mainshafts Tamiya make wearing out.

These ones were steel. There's obviously a market for them, just look at this guy: http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...53&id=20319

He refuses to run his buggy anymore because of the aluminum shaft.

I tried mailing RWracing again, but they did not reply.

Do you think you could have another batch done?

Hey, sorry to bump this ancient post! But!

Re: B4 slipper mainshafts for DF03.

I've got one of these already, but people are now moaning about these mainshafts Tamiya make wearing out.

These ones were steel. There's obviously a market for them, just look at this guy: http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...53&id=20319

I tried mailing RWracing again, but they did not reply.

Do you think you could have another batch done?

Why don't you contact Joe Anderson of Tamiya USA and see if he could get Tamiya Japan to release a steel one?

I wonder who that guy is ;)

If you see my last edit on the showroom entry there are steel ones available from Five Stars if you're able to find them for sale outside of Japan. FS-7038 for a regular mainshaft and the FS-7039 for the slipper type mainshaft. I have one of these in the black boxart Dark Impact in my showroom now, and it has not wornout to date. The black DI is only running a 27T Dirt Tuned though and not a brushless.

I've now worn out 9 of the Tamiya slipper shafts over 3 DF03 buggys.

Since buying the latest slipper mainshaft for the yellow MS (shaft #10), I've discovered another rather serious problem with the DF03 ball diffs. There is no thrust bearing on the cap screw. If the screw head jams for any reason in the diff joint, it winds the diff up tight (or undoes it) and snaps the very thin screw. I'm on my 3rd rear diff cap screw/nut set. And in true DF03 fashion for the spares, the lock nut is in one parts bag and the cap screw in another, so two bags are needed to repair with many useless spares left over from each bag. Becomes rather expensive to keep buying replacements.

Seriously... I've given up on it... The DF03MS sits on the shelf with the electrics removed. Am currently running my old Top Force chassis'd Blazing Star (if anyone seen my action photos from last weekend). And I have a HPI Cyber 10b on order. The Cyber is fully sealed (a must for me in my conditions), does have thrust bearings in the ball diffs and there's not an aluminium gear in sight. Lets hope it's as durable as my other four HPI models.

2 Thumbs down for the DF03 range from me! :lol:

I've done (what I think) an improved mainshaft for the DF-03. I've not tested the chassis yet, but when I've done that I'll make an tutorial. Hopefully it will solve the DF-03 problem.

I've done (what I think) an improved mainshaft for the DF-03. I've not tested the chassis yet, but when I've done that I'll make an tutorial. Hopefully it will solve the DF-03 problem.

I hope it's a fix that can be done without high end tools? :lol: I'm in the process of getting my RWD Low-Profile Dark Impact running, but I'm really worried the mainshaft just won't hold up. I'd love to make or buy something that will prevent these problems, but I don't have say a lathe to make something...

I hope it's a fix that can be done without high end tools? :lol: I'm in the process of getting my RWD Low-Profile Dark Impact running, but I'm really worried the mainshaft just won't hold up. I'd love to make or buy something that will prevent these problems, but I don't have say a lathe to make something...

Your Granny could do it! ;)

Your Granny could do it! ;)

I'll go and ask her to do it then - And I'll do the knitting from now on :lol: Perhaps you could give us a teaser on the mod? Pinions and a cut down Axle maybe? :) (A little like this mod I once made - actually on my DF03)