Sign in to follow this  
Japanscaledriver

The Dark Impact

Hi

Could make another one, would have to work out a cost, there is a bit of work in it.

Do you want the carbon as well ? if so I would have to get some more carbon from the UK first.

Regards

Gary

post-3-1145293560.jpg

Could you make it so the ballstuds are vertical and mounting off the alloy mounting block, even hung from underneath??

Hi

Could make another one, would have to work out a cost, there is a bit of work in it.

Do you want the carbon as well ? if so I would have to get some more carbon from the UK first.

Regards

Gary

Yeah if possible, it would save me from a bit of work. Just let me know how much time and Â£Â£ you need, it looks like a really nice solution for the front.

Have you looked into making a rear mount as well? It would be easier then at the front, just a straight on fit, even though it would mean moving the dampers to the other side of the wishbones. But somebody must already have planned this, since the same holes are available on that side as well... 

hey, guys, I read earlier in the thread that there is a one-way bearing in the rear gearbox center-shaft output (or atleast that's what I've gathered). is this true, or did I just put 2 and 2 together wrong? and with the diffs, how easy is it to assemble and mantain them? I've owned three and run two (outside at full clip, kinda like a maniac) vehicles with ball diffs (RC18T and Evader BX, the third is a old losi JRX2) and at minimum gotten into the diffs of those two, as well as ajusting them, but I have honestly never built a ball-diff from the ground up. for someone with my limited-at-best experience with ball diffs, would the DI's diffs pose much difficulty to me, or should would I have no troubles with it. the rest of the building should be no problem for me, as I have built one kit and tore-down and re-built a few others, so I know my way around them pretty well.

Dark Impact ball diffs will be some of the easiest you could ever build. The thrust bearings are 1 piece, which greatly simplifies things. Just remember to use plenty of ball diff grease. These diffs should last a long time with no problems.

Guys, if you have a look at the upcoming releases on the Tamiya USA site you'll see a few new bits listed for the DI

Slipper clutch

Shocks

Heatsink motor plate.

The slipper sounds like a worry to me, seems from the description that it will only fit Tamiyas 05 module spurs [:(]

I'm wondering about what difference there could be between the new shocks and the alloy DF02 ones (and I just got my set of DF02 shocks today!)

The heatsink sounds good - just as a few of us suggested, there are 3 heatsink beams which screw to the motor plate (similar to the Cat 2000 if anyone can remember).

Does anyone have anymore comments on bashing/track testing?

Have you brocken anything yet? Or worked anything loose?

Is there any slop or play in any of the suspension or steering pivots?

Does the motor overheat?

Elliott.

Does anyone have anymore comments on bashing/track testing?

Have you brocken anything yet? Or worked anything loose?

Is there any slop or play in any of the suspension or steering pivots?

Does the motor overheat?

Elliott.

I haven't began using mine yet, and I have built it with new top force universals both front and rear. The front ball bearings already have a considerable amount of slop in the front steering nuckles at this point and I even haven't used it yet..  apart from this it seems pretty solid.

Hi pUs

To make the alloy brace and the carbon tower cost would be $60.00 US

There is a lot of  work done by hand, it would not be worth my time to do it for less, need time to finish my car too.

I could do it at the weekend.

Let me know if you want one.

Regards

Gary

Hi,

I'm not sure about the suspension geometry. As you can see in the pictures the rear shafts are not parallels with the lower arms but they are like a diagonal inside the suspension degign. This could means that the rear arm pushed up bring the shaft head against the diff cup. I don't own the Dark Impact so cannot verify this. This could be the reason the rear shafts slops out the duff cups. Can someone tests this please?

Max

I just want to know if this thing is competitive offroad, I plan on racing mine at the club level, which has lots of Lazer ZX-5's, etc....

Is this Tamiya's run at the offroad racing market, again?

Rear shafts are angled back ever so slightly from the drive cups. It could possibly contribute to the shafts popping out. Biggest issue here is excessive suspention droop. Just build the shocks with internal spacers to limit droop so the dogbones just stay in. Regarding converting a slipper clutch; I have tried to convert a Kyosho hyper clutch set, with no luck. The gear shaft is just too short. With a longer gear shaft, it would work fine. I have grinded on my hyper plate untill there isnt much left to hold the drive pin, and it just isnt enough. Good news is, I have another plate set, so this clutch set isn't ruined. As per my pics, the Kyosho Dual Cap pro Shocks fit perfectly. Look nice too. My DI still has not seen action. Im trying to set it up with a clutch, and it needs a good servo, and I have my excuses!

No problem at all, very decent price. I know what work is involved and your damper mount adapter looked very well thought out. Just drop me an email at pus2@hotmail.com and we can arrange the payment with paypal at any time. Cheers!

Edit: If you have two extra hingepin braces, I'd very much like to get me those as well :) but it's ok if you don't have enough time to spare.

/Peter

Hi pUs

To make the alloy brace and the carbon tower cost would be $60.00 US

There is a lot of  work done by hand, it would not be worth my time to do it for less, need time to finish my car too.

I could do it at the weekend.

Let me know if you want one.

Regards

Gary

Hi all,

don't try to make an hand made clutch because Tamiya is releasing  the Hop Up Option clutch for the impact. Also new alloy dampers are ready to arrive, with 25T, 27T, 29T 0.5 module pinion gears. Will buy all soon with the car naturally.

Max

I think people just want to use readily available spur gears and

pinions rather than having to buy yet another set of spurs and pinions

for one car.

Hi

do you know if they are going to have smaller pinion gears, I have got some of the ones from the older cars but they are hard to get and a little high cost.

I still think I will make a slipper shaft to suit the B4 assembly.

Do you know how long untill spare parts are available.

Regards

Gary 

As much as I like the B4, why not wait to see what the Tamiya offering is like and maybe adapt that?

Hi

I will wait and see, the gear in the kit has a shape for the slipper disc so it my take a B4 gear and disc but the hole in the gear is different I think.

Regards

Gary

I am after information on this chassis as i might use it for a project that I have in mind. Firstly What is teh suspension travel like and is it even from front to rear? Also whats the exact wheelbase from hub to hub and the width?

Finally Are the gear boxes and suspension detachable like on a Tb01 or built in like a TT01?

cheers Ryck

Hi

I will wait and see, the gear in the kit has a shape for the slipper disc so it my take a B4 gear and disc but the hole in the gear is different I think.

Regards

Gary

Somewhere on these forums, someone put a link to the slipper clutch for the Dark Impact.  It is now listed on one of the Tamiya sites...

Just trying to be helpful

Steve

Finally got mine painted up last night (and yes, the wing IS painted).

http://academyracer.fotopic.net/c931633.html

Wow that is gorgeous.

Have to admit that I am a total convert to this buggy. I am normally of the opinion that modern buggies are lacking in character but there is something about this one that is different.

It's been said that Tamiya re-re'd some of the old buggies in order to grab the attention of us 30 somethings so that they could show us all the new stuff and how much better it is. Well I have to admit it is a policy that has worked on me. The D.I is high up on my wish list now!!

I raced my little beut tonight, and it was ace, on carpet with a wall

of death thing and that was on some DF-02 shocks I got sent and not had

time to setup to my liking.

For racing, I think it needs a little work, bit more travel on the

front end, a little less droop on the rear but otherwise outstanding.