Sign in to follow this  
Redseven

Gravel Hound 15t motor set up and noise?

Have just bought 2nd hand Gravel Hound which is very noisy (a kind of grating noise), anyone know if this the norm or should I re-grease both gearboxes?  Also, it currently has an Mtroniks RV sport ESC which I believe is capable of handling a 15t motor, can I just add the15t motor or does it need any upgrades, apparently it may need alloy prop shaft and full ballracing?  Don't really want to spend loads of cash on this one, just trying to see if I can get in going faster than my Mad Fighter for back garden driving at the moment it is significantly slower which surprised me!!  Was looking at the fireball 15t motors on ebay as these are cheap but are they cheerfull, anyone had experiences of them??

Redseven

Well if it doesn't have ball bearings already, do that first- it'll make a big difference. That's probably all you really need before adding the motor, as long as the ESC *is* capable of handling 15 turns...

With regards to the noise - try removing the main propshaft - that will at least allow you to work out if it the front gearbox or the rear...

Sounds like you might have a small foreign body in there or something. Best thing to do is strip it down and put it back together...

Cheers for that.  Will try removing propshaft this evening, think I should be able to get ballraces for about £7 so will make that my next purchase!!

Don't really want to strip gear box if I can help it....at least not until I can find some instructions on how to put it all back together!!!

Redseven

i can supply u a ball race kit mate, for just about any tamiya infact

on the grating noise, i often find the cause is a knackered motor.

replace it with ya other motor to find out for sure.

andy

Don't forget that the gearboxes are already ball-raced.  Just need the ones for the hubs.

Think you might have a point about the motor, no reason why the gearbox should be worn or out of grease.  I'll try it with my Sport Tuned motor as I know this is new.

How much for Ball Race kit then, I think there's 8 I need, as Lemming states it already has some as standard?

Redseven

8 is right (2 per wheel).  I would check mine for noise, but it is currently in pieces as all the blue alloy is coming off to put it back to standard ready for selling at Kidderminster.

Sorry mate

Steve

hey again

sorry for the delayed response, no work today so i got roaring drunk last night...lol

if all u require is 8 1150's then no problem

but, i do think u will require 4 more than that,

dont u need need 4 for the prop too??????

i can delivery 8 of those to the uk for the princely sum of 4.75 gbp

if that all ok, email me for payment options mate

andy

Obviously didn't drink enough if you are up at this time of the morning!!! [:)]

I'll try and find out exactly how many bearings are needed though this is unlikley to be before next weekend now due to work commitments.  I'll get back to you as soon as possible.  If I need extra bearings for propshaft I might as well replace propshaft (with alloy one) while I'm at it ......do you stock these?

Cheers

Redseven

hi again

i am sorry i dont carry any alloy props at the moment mate.

sorry.

andy

Just 8 for wheels req as the gearboxes and shft are fuly BR. The alloy shaft is a must as I have done this and it is so much better!

The plastic one just vibrates and flexes too much with a 15t. I am running a 15 quad in my gravel houd with just BR and alloy shaft! and it flys!

Also the shaft reduces the noise as well.

You will also need to run the lowest pin as well (16 or 17) as I found it too slow with the higher ratio.

Guest joelvardy

the person you got it off second hand has ripped you off because the standard kit comes with ball barings

2. the noise is probably where the dogbones meet the part of the wheel there will probably be severe rubbing marks

a way to test this easly is hold the car and try to rock the wheel up and dow if it is slopply then it is probably that

also the buggy has a chassis design falt where you put in the U bolt it will go through a part of th chassis and if you run at high speeds and high tention EG, have the suspention to tight this part of the chassis will probably break off  

or if you are not a very good driver and you run a 15t into a hard object this could cause slight defects

(I know whith a 10t and 19t pinion kirb stone)

the person you got it off second hand has ripped you off because the standard kit comes with ball barings

Not necessarily true...  Bought a brand new XB Pro myself and this comes with gearbox bearings and drive shaft bearings only (also horrid friction dampers). His could be an XB instead of the original (but I thought that didn't have ball bearings in the wheels either - been known to be wrong before [:)]).

Also, the noise can come from various sources, so a good check of all the drivetrain is required.  Just removed all the alloy from mine (including propshaft) and also changed back to the standard spur gear ready for selling.  It is now lots noisier than it was with the hop-ups fitted!  Seems to be related to the original spur gear.  Will be taking it apart again to see if there is anything else obvious - drive shafts can buckle easily on the front if you hit something on lock or the dog-bone jams.

I ran mine with all the alloy and a 17t set-up (28,000 rpm).  Never broke a thing, even when hitting a rock with the front left wheel whilst flat out (popped ball joints off but took it well) so recommend the alloy hop-ups.

If you are coming to Kidderminster, take a peek at the alloy bits I took off.  They are cheap enough to buy new and make a difference to strength (weight is probably more).  Going to be flogging mine, but no push on that as if they don't sell I won't be panicking.

Cheers

Steve

I am running a Novak Explorer II and a Orion Rush 15T in my Gravel Hound with no worries! I have bashed the **** out of it at the local track and still runs like a champ!

I stripped both gearboxes and gave them a quick clean out, I also changed the ProStock 19T motor for my Kyosho 18t stock motor and it seems a lot quiter and goes a lot better!!  Couldn't figure how to get the propshaft out though....didn't buy the car from new! 

Thinking of swapping/selling it if I can't raise enough cash from my Monster Beetle and buying something NIB to build.  Will continue to play with it for now though.

BTW, it does have metal bearings at either end of the propshaft already

Redseven

i have a freshly built rising storm that i got a novak super sport plus brushless system in. i have yet to drive it as its a project but upon putting in the brushless system and tring it out with no tires there was a lot of gear noise, i think exesive but ive never heard or seen a df02 run before. before i take it out on the maiden voyage though i will disassemble and check everything. maybe it just has loud gears or it reverbiates through the chassis. although i think its the same gears as the tt01 and my tt01 is no where near that loud!

thanks!

shaft has bearings as well as box. Wheels dont!

The shaft comes out from the bottom! I have also found the Spur wobbles a bit and my cover has worn where it sits over the shaft.

Alloy Shaft def better.

I kind of got used to the noise on the GH which improved after changing the motor and cleaning out the gearboxes, that said I have sold it and got a far better one now that is as quiet as a mouse....well, you get my drift!!! 

Redseven