Hibernaculum

Differences between originals and re-releases - a summary?

If anyone can list the main differences between...

- original Rough Rider vs Buggy Champ

- original Sand Scorcher vs re-release Sand Scorcher

...feel free to write or copy+paste the info here.

It would be easier to list the identical parts :)

The more of this info we keep in one place, the better. We really need a Wiki or something, hey. Imagine if there was a one-stop place you could go that listed every variation between each original and it's re-release...

cheers,

H.

Yes, it could be an extra tabpage in the models listing. I also pointed this out before, but the admins in here don't seem to care...

Maybe we need make an external wiki somewhere else, but I feel it really belongs on the tamiyaclub homepage.

The more of this info we keep in one place, the better. We really need a Wiki or something, hey. Imagine if there was a one-stop place you could go that listed every variation between each original and it's re-release...

This is something I could add to Tamiyabase.com, but I will need help from others on the technical details.

Let me know if it is interresting.

-Lars

• Like 1

This is something I could add to Tamiyabase.com, but I will need help from others on the technical details.

Let me know if it is interresting.

-Lars

Hi Lars

Yep I would be interested. An important step forward. Pity that TC don't see this as a priority. This was suggested years ago by Shodog but never implemented and the officials that run TC have not talked about this being done as far as I have seen here.

Best,

ARG

• Like 1

Thundershot and Firedragon re-res have re-enforced lower control arms, and revised (less fragile) rear hubs.

Interestingly, they ignored the two MAIN failure parts on this chassis, the A5 part and the steering hubs.

Thundershot and Firedragon re-res have re-enforced lower control arms, and revised (less fragile) rear hubs.

Interestingly, they ignored the two MAIN failure parts on this chassis, the A5 part and the steering hubs.

Actually re-enforced suspension arms were period upgrade for the chassis, Tamiya changed the design for Terra Scorcher and Fire Dragon. So they are sort of original in Fire Dragon re-re.

I just checked the parts and it seems thats the case with rear hubs aswell. So Thunder Shot and Thunder Dragon original design. Terra Scorcher, Fire Dragon and re-res improved desing.

Could i mention the Hotshot re issue differences? I won't be going into as much detail as some on here although the difference in material thickness of the roof has been reduced by some 0.06mm and contains 9% less Manganese! :o (i'm joking guys, i made that up!)

Not sure about the tyre material although either the re issues have got softer or my arms have got stronger?

The changes i have noticed, some being more obvious than others

-chassis

-roll cage

-roll cage netting

-drive shafts

-gear box joints and wheel axles

-prop shaft and prop joints

-rear stabilizer

-rear stabilizer threaded shaft

-no msc and fake heat sinks

-damper cylinders

-the colour of the Red plastic has been changed too, it is a lighter Red

-screws to Black

-screw pins

-thrust bearings

-ball connectors

-all brass pieces changed

-no battery post

-no Aluminium counter head screws

-'E' rings replace 'C' in some stages

-On a similar note to Loaded, the original Hotshot 2 chassis which the re issue takes its chassis from had 'made in Japan' on it also, this has been removed

:mellow:

I think one more change would be lower front suspension arms with circular hole instead of triangular, re-re uses similar design than HS2 and many other HS based cars.

All in all it appears that the Fire Dragon re-re is extremely close to the original. Even the decals are basicly the same since Fire Dragon did not have any real life sponsor stickers, original has "Warning hot" decal for resistor, re-re Tamiya decals and layout is bit different.

Original body has pre cutted hole for resistor. Basicly excluding the slight possible changes in plastic/rubber compounds the only real difference I have noticed is lack of mechanical speed control in re-re.

AHH a very familiar topic, Hotshot variants. Hi guys. So what’s the variation in the roll cage?

AHH a very familiar topic, Hotshot variants. Hi guys. So what’s the variation in the roll cage?

Additional vertical stay under the wing.

Hi, Just going back to the GRASSHOPPER/HORNET the hole in the rear axle at the hex end is smaller and they now have a stepped shaft between them.

This is the same on the re release PUMPKIN/LUNCH BOX but im not sure about the original ones.

So tell me:

Which of the Re-Re's come with blisters like the originals?

I'm aware of:

Rough Rider/Buggy Champ

Sand Scorcher

Avante

Any others?, like Hotshot, Boomerang etc?

Cheers

So tell me:

Which of the Re-Re's come with blisters like the originals?

I'm aware of:

Rough Rider/Buggy Champ

Sand Scorcher

Avante

Any others?, like Hotshot, Boomerang etc?

Cheers

Anyone?

IMG_1074.jpg

Just love the NIB look of old tamiya models :angry:

I have just made a new section at www.TamiyaBase.com where all reissues of the first 100 models will be listed with every detail known.

Please visit http://www.tamiyabase.com/Reissues/View-all-products.html and let me know all the differences you know of (use tha comment function).

If you are not a member, please register and comment any changes you know off. I will update each listing regularly.

-Lars

Could i mention the Hotshot re issue differences? I won't be going into as much detail as some on here although the difference in material thickness of the roof has been reduced by some 0.06mm and contains 9% less Manganese! :unsure: (i'm joking guys, i made that up!)

Not sure about the tyre material although either the re issues have got softer or my arms have got stronger?

The changes i have noticed, some being more obvious than others

-chassis

-roll cage

-roll cage netting

-drive shafts

-gear box joints and wheel axles

-prop shaft and prop joints

-rear stabilizer

-rear stabilizer threaded shaft

-no msc and fake heat sinks

-damper cylinders

-the colour of the Red plastic has been changed too, it is a lighter Red

-screws to Black

-screw pins

-thrust bearings

-ball connectors

-all brass pieces changed

-no battery post

-no Aluminium counter head screws

-'E' rings replace 'C' in some stages

-On a similar note to Loaded, the original Hotshot 2 chassis which the re issue takes its chassis from had 'made in Japan' on it also, this has been removed

;)

You also forgot that the gearbox casings themselves are different. The recesses into which the output joint shaft bearings go are slightly deeper, to accommodate the thicker E clips that holds the joint shafts in, rather than the tiny thin C clip.

There are also black zip ties that replace the enamel wire for attaching the window netting.

They include 2 sets of the original steering knuckles on 2 sets of D parts, but also give you the TA01 style steering knuckles to use.

The car also uses flanged screws instead of screws and washers for a couple of parts, eg attaching the bumper, steering servo, spotlights and dummy heatsinks.

- James

• Like 1

All,

I have updated the DataBase at www.TamiyaBase.com with a few more of the reissue models.

Check here: http://www.tamiyabase.com/Reissues/View-all-products.html

I need your help to identify all the changes and differences on each of the models.

• If you think there are no differences, let me know.
  • If you think what I have listed is either correct or wrong, let me know.

:(

Please use the commenting system at the bottom of each page (register in order to comment)

-Lars

• Like 1

Could somebody who has been working on both Avante and Avante 2011 list the differences in this thread?

I need new tires for my Avante so I'm thinking about buying a re-re set. Are they excatly the same (expect the possible slight change of compound)?

i just love these reissues of tamiya.

but in what category belong the not so obvious ones like

- rough rider mkI and mkII

- wild willy, swb (mkI), lwb (mkII) and Willy II (thats even more of a remake if you take the chassis)

can't think of more just now.

i just love these reissues of tamiya.

but in what category belong the not so obvious ones like

- rough rider mkI and mkII

- wild willy, swb (mkI), lwb (mkII) and Willy II (thats even more of a remake if you take the chassis)

can't think of more just now.

I think the period updates like Wild Willy wheelbase or Hot Shot bumper etc. belong to their respective cars, there are Hot Shot mk1 and mk2, they are both original Hot Shots, Tamiya just changed the design to improve strenght, make the production easier or for some other reason.

On the other hand I think the kits like new holiday buggy or Wild Willy 2 are not anything like re-res, more like a modern take of vintage car keeping still in the spirit of the original.

Thanks for the link Rosey, didn't notice that thread. Excellent picture comparison.

Tamiyadan: Yeah, I think the later cars are most similar, in some cases its almost continuing the production after a brief break like Clodbuster variants. Out of the kits that I have closely inspected the Thunder Shot and Fire Dragon seems to be most similar to their original designs, specially the Fire Dragon, its almost the same as the old one.

tamiyabase really needs to update that list.

Please help out with the differences using the comment function on TamiyaBase.com.

-Lars