Sign in to follow this  
carnage

Help me mod my stadium raider (im a 'rookie') :-(

Just wondering how to modify my stadium raider? just wanna beef it up a bit so it's got a bit more go in it. Just finished building it (my first Tamiya, woohooo!) Its all standard kit. I was thinking new ball bearings, need to scrap those xxxx plastic things and speed tuned gears and some decent shocks maybe a new engine??? Like i said it is buit from the box all standard 4wd tl-01 chassis. Any ideas please on what types of products to use would be greatly appreciated.

CARNAGE

Hi " Carnage "

Firsty, Please can you not use profanity as this is a family board.

Right, When you say " Engine " i assume you mean Motor, Before you can get a new motor, i reccomend an ESC ( Electronic Speed Control )that can handle the motor that you want to get. I Suggest a Sport Tuned from Tamiya as they're a bit quicker, but also kind to the novice.

Yes, Bearings will give you increased runtime and more speed. I recomend these.

Another option is " Tamiya Speed Tuned Gears " these give an overall different ratio for more speed.

Hollow Carbon Gearshafts and a Hollow Carbon Propshaft will all give you more runtime/higher speed

Lightweight Chassis will give you longer runtime/higher top speed/acceleration, but THIS IS PRONE TO BREAKAGE.

That's all i can think of now,

Have Fun,

Mike

Thanks Mike thats a good head start for me. the electronic speed controller I have is a teu-101bk. Will this be substantial enough to work with a tuned motor? if not could you or someone recommend one that will? Could anyone also suggest a motor which would suit my car? I currently have a standard 540.

What about new shocks the ones that come with the car look pretty rubbish, they sort of don't look practical. I would like to fit something more professional to it. any ideas on what shocks or dampers?

I would also like to apologise for my language I didn't realised I had written that.

Apologies to anyone offended by my first post it wont happen again.

Alright Again :)

YES, The TEU-101BK WILL work with the Tamiya Sport Tuned.

Yeah, you are better off upgrading to OIL DAMPERS, these remove the " bouncey " feel to the car and will make it handle alot better.

Not sure what length you will need, measure yours, then have a look on eBay.

Mike

Don't put on the Speed tuned gears, as this will only change the gear ratio unfavorably. The Stadium Raider already has problem with the bigger wheels, Speed tuned gears will only decrease the ratio and worsen this.

I'd stick with the ball bearings, oil damers, and perhaps a motor with high torque (27 turn stock? Tamiya Super Stock type TZ?), and the ESC which you have (or better, if required). Universal shafts in front are also recommended, and depending on use, locked diffs (crawling) or ball diffs (higher speed use). This is about all you'll ever need, carbon and lightweight parts are quite useless on a simple vehicle like this.

you will need another ESC for the super stock TZ, they are good motors though, i run one in my baja champ, its top for torque

im running a rs-540 at the moment with the teu-101bk seems to be working well. pretty **** quick actually!

Upgrade the esc to a Mtroniks for like £35 and get a 19 turn motor. Your truck will spit fire like those CORR racing trucks.

I emailed tamiya america and they said that the tev 101bk can only handle a 27 turn.

so does that mean i was right that the standard tamiya speed controller wont handle a TZ, it may handle it on low traction vehicles. ?

Correct, it may not be able to handle it, depending on vehicle, gearing, surface and driving style.

Cheers

I have good experience with the TEU-101. If you mount a good heat sink on it, it will be able to handle motors down to 17 turns. Gearing ratio must be standard or even lower than standard. I use cooler master heat sinks for small transistors of PC graphic cards (I am not talking about gpu heat sinks which are much larger). A set with 10 or 12 only costs around 5 EUR and even the adhesive tape is included to mount them onto your device.

ram chip coolers they are, i recently got some for my computer but i think the cars will get them instead ;o)

ran chip coolers they are, i recently got some for my computer but i think the cars will get them instead ;o)