Sign in to follow this  
MikeT

.: Scale 4x4 Crawler/Bogger Effort :.

Hiya,

Brief

Well, the plan was to make a crawler/mudder that was SCALE, so not after 90* articulation, just enough to be capable, and do some mudding and sedate crawling. This is also a secondary project so it is a bit of a budget one too ( Being 15 i can't afford to have two fully fledged projects on the go )

Phase I

Ant88 ( Great Bloke ) Contacted me on MSN and said that he is ordering some parts from... Somewhere ( not sure where ) and they had Juggernaut chassis rails ( i'd mentioned that i wanted the SILVER ones, because the blue ones and red ones were'nt as nice, IMHO ).

Today i recieved them and set to work, whilst talking to Mr_Pushrod on MSN, LOL. I used my junior hacksaw to cut a groove to allow the TLT's Spur gear to rotate without fouling the chassis, well the Jugg chassis plate won't mount without this groove. So, after that, i got some quick measurements, Jugg rails are 390mm long, TLT plates are 220mm long, after a quick deduction, of 390 - 220 i arrived at 170, this gives me the DIFFERENCE in length of the plates. 170/2 is 85mm, this is the length that i had to have each side of the TLT plate, so i measured 85mm from the end of one juggy rail, and checked the other end and scribed two lines.

Then, with the 2 chassis plates attatched with servo tape, i centre-popped a hole in the juggy chassis, through a pre-existing TLT chassis hole and then bolted them together with an m3 nut/bolt.

Whilst doing this, i also centre popped the juggy chassis for the holes to mount the transmission ( I'm using the TLT transmission, because as i said, this is a BUDGET crawler/bogger, and i'm not too bothered about 3" of motor height, with a 12" wheel base, i can't see it causing THAT much of a problem ) then i mounted the tranny into the TLT chassis, with the juggy plates on the OUTSIDE.

At the ends of the Juggy rails/plates i braced them with stock TLT braces.

An Insight

Phase II

Phase II will entail shock mounting positions and making up the M4 links for the suspension.

Phase III

Phase II will entail a custom made styrene truck body, not sure what type, but it will have the cab up-front and a wooden ( or alu ) flatbed and braced from the cab to the bed with angle alu.

Also, i will be using 2.2 wheels and tyres, IMEX G-Hawgs.  These will be adapted to a widening kit on my TLT axles, which WILL NOT be ball raced.

Right, Onto the pics;

http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/7248/pict0059small2uz.jpg

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/820/pict0060small5hp.jpg

http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/1023/pict0061small2bf.jpg

Thanks to Ant, this project was born :D

Mike

Well looks good so far, good documentation, wish I could do that.You

can check www.bruder.de for cheap truck shells. They make toy trucks

but they are very realistic looking. If you do a search on TC with

Bruder you will see some works of art that people have made. However I

have seen some incredible scratch built bodies as well.

Anyways nice start on your project, don't forget to lock the diffs.

Mike

I'll have a look at Bruder when i've posted this B)

All 3 diffs are locked up tighter than .. something very tight?

Mike

i will agree with you that ant is a great guy. looks like you've made a good start to the project, wish i could get past the paper stage. maybe something like an old landy trialer would look good

0150_2.jpg

or somethig like this

DSCF0693.JPG

emotion-42.gif

i'm waiting for someone to develop a LSD for scale crawlers, that would be great. if you decide you want a winch for the crawler, let me know emotion-5.gif

Heeeey Matt!

Hmm, that landy does look good, but i'm set on a truck for the minute, when i've got it all running, maybe i'll start on a landy body ;)

About Winches, do you have MSN?

"i'm waiting for someone to develop a LSD for scale crawlers"

Already been done, just lock it, with a very viscous substance ( Tamiya Anti-Wear Grease ) you can regulate how much you put in for the tightness of the diff, geddit?

Since i'm going the no-brainer ( Cheap B) ) way and using the TLT tranny, i've been scouring Scale 4x4 RC and have found that i CAN use Traxxas Sliding Shafts, i have to use Maxx Outdrives, drilled out to fit over the TLT outdrives, and secured with a set screw. And a steel yoke on the axle end.

I'll update as i go along,

Mike

sorry mike, i don't have MSN. if you like, i can make a build guide or we can go on the TC chat sometime

matt

Not a registered TC Member ( paid ) at the moment, so a build guide would be ace ;)

I'm hoping to get this finished within the next 3 months ( except body, not gonna rush it )

Also, the body will have a brazed brass rollcage.

Nothing much else to report, just a pic for size comparison with my SS.

post-9-1144957260.jpg