Sign in to follow this  
rhenbelz

Nikko Project

After successfully equipping my Alienator with a Traxxas Stinger, a Tazer ESC, Futaba servo and 27Mhz receiver for use with original transmitter, I'm wondering if anyone else has done something similar with a Nikko or is in the process.

Also if anyone's interested, I have an Aero Thunderbolt in excellent shape (same chassis) that I'd be willing to part with. These cars take about an hour to convert, and can easily be fitted with new wheels (front buggy wheels, standard bearing size, rear 2.2s with 5-point hubs).

I have a MRC Road Winner that has a circuit board type control system simular to the department store bought RC's. It does have a 540 size motor though. I am going to upgrade it some day. After all my 50 projects are done! [;)]

Let's see some pictures.

The Alienator is in pieces at the moment; The reason is that the Dynamite Tazer 19t ESC died (second one so far, don't buy one!) and one of the nice gold chrome 5-point 2.2 rims I put on the rear shattered due to an idiot driver. Here's some early pics of the Alienator with stock wheels, also since they were taken I've put Deans plugs on it and modified the steering linkage. Electronics cover isn't shown.

a75f52b9.jpg

228066c2.jpg

6b657921.jpg

9e7e5107.jpg

fb255a99.jpg

Future plans for the Alienator include new wheels/tires front and rear, a decent brushless system, a servo saver, and oil shocks front and rear.

Donations accepted [;)]

Your not gonna believe it, but that's another spinoff of the infamous

"Golden Arrow" chassis. My brother and I are currently restoring 

a Golden Arrow ourselves (check it out in my showroom).

It's built like a plow, but I think I'd prefer a Grasshopper ; ).

I beg to differ as to the spinoff comment; Radio Shack is a reseller. That's a pretty common chassis design.. It does appear to be the newer, longer chassis design and does have the exact same front suspension. The gearbox is probably slightly different though. Good luck on your project.

Update on my Alienator: I just fully ballraced the gearbox and front wheels, and I am planning to move my servo back and install a saver from a Mad Bull. I also found that a 32-pitch 15-tooth pinion is a perfect match and installed a Reedy Quad Mag Spec 19T motor with a Traxxas XL-10 ESC.

ADDED: FYI on gearboxes... if it swings on a shaft with pressed-on metal ends, then tap them out with a punch and light hammer, and once you put it back together, just tap the ends back on again. Much easier than using a die on the shafts and fitting nuts.

Does it have rolling suspension in the rear like the Hornet , or

Grasshopper-type rigid suspension? I would like to maintain that the

chassis and the front suspension are the same as the Golden Arrow, but

the gearbox  is probably different.

It's like the Grasshopper, with the whole gearbox swinging on a shaft. It's true that because of that it doesn't handle so well, but this car is a straight-line burner anyways [;)]

I've just finished reworking the steering setup. The servo is now mounted farther back in the chassis, eliminating a lot of problems, and it turns out the stock servo saver is a perfect fit for a standard servo horn from my parted-out Mad Bull. XL-10 ESC installed and connected to 19T QMS motor. Pics below.

4326077d.jpg

97ec1073.jpg

80224339.jpg

That's a really lethal looking buggy- it'll be a grasshopper killer!

Thanks!

Test run today went great until my friend driving it clipped a rock and it cartwheeled about 9 times. Broke a wheel hub adapter, but I have 4 spares. Never did get to try the 11-turn [:(]