Sign in to follow this  
eek!

-New- SRB rubber at good price

I´ve made a deal just now, just recently bid on a pair of Ranger tires that went for about the same. And this was a complete set of 4. Thanks for sharing eek!

I'm betting that they are from the Wild Ceptor, and made out of a HARDER rubber compound, and giving less traction.

I'm betting that they are from the Wild Ceptor, and

made out of a HARDER rubber compound, and giving less traction.

Interesting...I didn't know there were varying rubber versions of SRB tires.

I know with the 2.2" Blackfoot and Bruiser style tires there are

different compounds (my Bruiser rubber=heavier.  Blackfoot more

plastic vs. rubber?).  I weighed them.  All the Bruiser's

weighed the same, all the Blackfoot's were the same (with each

other).  Blackfoot's were all lighter and went flat when placed on

my Bruiser (w/4K battery).  I trust Stella's though, I would think

(if they knew) they would have said Wild Ceptor rather than SRB.

The funny thing is, you can buy the whole car on eBay for about $35 USD. Those cars are not very popular at all! You almost have to give them away....[:P]

I'm betting that they are from the Wild Ceptor, and made out of a HARDER rubber compound, and giving less traction.

I'll soon tell you...ordered a set a few days ago.

I already have had my sets of tyres arrive, (what an excuse to get me a Top Force!!). I have tried to compare the tyres to my original Brat, and although the compound may be harder, I wouldn't say it was too obvious??

So you can confirm that it IS a harder compound?

Come on tamiya, chuck us some Sand Blaster FRONTS! [:D]

Good, but do you have any originals to try them against?

Yep, certainly do. Vintage 1983, my first Tamiya ever.

Just had another look/feel. I can confirm that the compound is firmer. More than I first thought

We people from Hong Kong are so lucky because Tamiya product here is always the cheapest in the world. A NIB Wild Ceptor is selling for US$12 currently. Those tires are not much different from the original. Go ahead and get some for yourself, I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

I did! Got 4 sets!. They should last longer on my Brat runner

I grabbed 2 complete sets for the Ranger I'm restoring. The compound is a bit harder, but for a runner or even shelf queen, they are gonna do just fine.

It seems to me that not only Sand Blasters but all re-release tires are of different compound, as they also smell differently then the originals. I would also guess they are from the Wild Ceptor as otherwise they would have also wheels for them, except if Tamiya just did a limited batch of the tires for a special event like they usually do.

Cheers

It seems to me that not only Sand Blasters but all re-release tires are of different compound, as they also smell differently then the originals. I would also guess they are from the Wild Ceptor as otherwise they would have also wheels for them, except if Tamiya just did a limited batch of the tires for a special event like they usually do.

Cheers

Yes, and this is an issue that we may need to get to the bottom of.

What if, say, the orignal and re-release Buggy Spike Tyres differ? For the sake of pure originality, some people may wish to buy only the originals. But on eBay, how can one tell whether something is truly original when you can't touch or smell it?

If Tamiya have altered the recipe slightly, then I think they have done us (collectors) no favours [:|]

cheers,

H.

Cheers

Yes, and this is an issue that we may need to get to the bottom of.

What if, say, the orignal and re-release Buggy Spike Tyres differ? For the sake of pure originality, some people may wish to buy only the originals. But on eBay, how can one tell whether something is truly original when you can't touch or smell it?

If Tamiya have altered the recipe slightly, then I think they have done us (collectors) no favours [:|]

cheers,

H.

Yes, I even see some ebay seller putting an original tire box next to it. But judging by the price and quantity of them, i think they are selling the re-issue

I think that the Smoothee, Padlatrak, Buggy Spike are all the same " recipe " as the older ones. They smell awesome, and they are a soft compounds.

I think that the Smoothee, Padlatrak, Buggy Spike are all the same " recipe " as the older ones. They smell awesome, and they are a soft compounds.

Sorry but disagree, the original ones smell differently and much nicer, each time when I open a vintage NIB kit the smell is exactly like it was in the 80s and brings back the old memories, the re-releases don't smell like that, smelling sense is very precise and has a very strong connection to memories. [H] But softness is very similar, good idea, will measure it one day at work with our "Shore Meter"

Cheers

Got my 4tires yesterday (darn, thats fast delivery Stella!), and they are definetly of a harder compound than my original 20+ years old Sand Blaster tires. I´m still amazed that they can be so soft after so long time. And i remember my Brat tires back in 83 -84 were softer. The new ones apperas to be "blacker" also.

I´m happy anyway, dont think the harder tires will be worse in any case.

But as said earlier, it´s going to be hard to tell the difference from the old "genuine" ones from a photo, for those who want vintage tires for there vintage ride.

Sorry but disagree, the original ones smell differently and much nicer, each time when I open a vintage NIB kit the smell is exactly like it was in the 80s and brings back the old memories, the re-releases don't smell like that, smelling sense is very precise and has a very strong connection to memories. [H] But softness is very similar, good idea, will measure it one day at work with our "Shore Meter"

Cheers

Happy to be proved wrong mate, just thought they were the same. I've never had a vintage NiB Kit :)