Sign in to follow this  
Japanscaledriver

scorcher gearcase

There is a funny tab under the center of the bottom part of the gearcase on my new scorcher that I don't often see in other pics and is not on my SuperChamp. Also of interest is that I knew the SS had problems fitting other motors, but my SC accepted a sport tuned with no problems, the SS however did not. I mean the speed of the car is ok, I just wanted to put a fresh motor in there.

The plastic ballraces fell to pieces of course, first drive, must have been dead plastic, they seemed tight, the front end on it is tighter than my SC.

Thanks for listening.

Sounds very interesting... any chance of some pictures?, as I looked at my spare gearcase that is from an SRB but I am unclear as to exactly what you mean.

I noticed that my XLT gearcase was quite a tight fit even for the original RS-540S motor, but my spare SRB gearcase allows motors to fit which have a very slightly larger diameter and the RS-540S motor is not such a tight fit in it, however my spare SRB gearcase is a modified one i.e. the 2 internal motor location lugs have been Dremel'ed off and a single hole 3 mm diameter, threadless, has been drilled in it to hold modified motors into it. It's shown and described here ;-

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...53&sid=5475

...in fact my modified SRB gearcase may be from a SC ? I just don't know!

I'm always fascinated by the changes that Tamiya made to all these cars through their production runs and love hearing about any differences of this sort in other TC members' models.

Cheers,

Alistair G.

There is a funny tab under the center of the bottom part of the gearcase on my new scorcher

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about then it's normal, all the early version gearcases had the tab. Also, the bit where the motor slots in was modified over the years which is probably why the sport tuned will fit your S.C but not your S.S.

Yeah just checked the online SC manual and my 'modified' SRB gearcase is is not from from an SC since the 2 holes at the front of the casting for those big peg things are missing on mine.

Cheers,

Ali. G.

OK I did some quick and dirty image processing on your picture and I must say that I now see what you mean about the tab on the gearcase, very odd!

Anyone else got one like this?! I am very interested to know which SRB this came from!!

Cheers,

Alistair G.

Tobys_SRB_gearcase_with_tab.jp

Erm,  Red-Circle it someone please :)

I've also lightened it using Curves in PS.

post-4-1146775620.jpg

Hi...As I can see from the photos ,the gear case is from an early rr/ss production.I have two of these and came from two old RR's.Both have this funny tap underneath.Also notice the area were the rear cage is attached ,it is not solid as in later production gearcases.

Regards..[:)]

The tab looks like left over material from the flow ports in casting process.  Most of the time they broke them off flush.

NOW I SEE IT!!!! I think Jim is correct, it has broken off on most of them!

Zulu, well noticed about the Cage mounts!

There's nothing at all unusual about the tab, all the early version gearcases have it, later ones don't though.

thanks guys, just interested, as i can tell are a few others, anyone got a comparison shot of a gearcase from SS with the "solid" rear cage mount?