Sign in to follow this  
Shodog

Tamiya Sport-Tuned motor

anybody know the specifics about this motor? last weekend when my buddy bought his F201, the shop employee told him that the Tamiya Sport-Tuned motor had 19 turns. It was my understanding it is a 27 turn but with advanced timing. I looked on Martin's site http://www.geocities.com/martinjordt/resso...tors/motors.htm but his stats don't show the number of turns. Can anybody shed some light on this conundrum?

I dont think its a 19turn, I have one and its not that quick I thought also thought it was a 27 turn, its certainly a mabuchi motor.

Stupid question : what is advanced timing : is it refering to the brush position?

If so does it mean that this motor is a simple 540 engine with slightly more torque (plus beautifull design of course...)?

Raoul

quote:
Originally posted by raemin

Stupid question : what is advanced timing : is it refering to the brush position?

If so does it mean that this motor is a simple 540 engine with slightly more torque (plus beautifull design of course...)?

Raoul

id="quote">id="quote">

Yup, timing has to do with brush position, measured in degrees, with 0 being where the brushes and magnets centers are aligned.

Advancing timing will decrease torque, and increase RPM. A lot of the smaller cars can get away with the lower torque as they don't weigh much, and can use the higher rpm for an overall greater top end.

-Anthony

Guys,

I think you may all be mistaken. I have been researching Tamiya motors so as to make a decision on which one to buy as a hop up for my Blazing Star.

From what I have found the RS-540SH Sport-Tuned motor (53068) has in fact 23 turns, not 27.

Here are 4 sites which state this.

http://www.tamiya.nl/tamoptions/tam_53000_09.html

http://home.intekom.com/modelboats/car/cheat1.htm

http://www.goldstarstockists.com/tamiyaparts/tpx/motors.htm

http://www.rcbolide.com/acatalog/Page_D_ac...ssoires_33.html

So the hobby sales guy may have got it wrong...but it is a better motor than just the standard 540 type.

Anyone know of any good links/sites that explain motor turns and timing in great detail???

Thanks

I have checked in my Tamiya RC Perfect Album book, this has a list of most of the RC stuff Tamiya has ever made.

The Sport Tuned motor was 27 turns. it has 0.65mm wire.

The book is in Japanese so I can't read it to see if it has advanced timing, but I would say it has hence the name "sport tuned" when it is a 27T.

Tamiya has a Sport Tuned motor Hop-Up for AGES, so I wouldn't be surprised there are a few variations/modifictions made over time... [;)]

As far as I know the Sport Tuned is a 27 turn with advaced timing, but as said there might be other kinds of motor called the same. [:)]

The sport tuned motor is indeed 23 turn, slighly higher RPM than the silver can 27 turn version. However the brushes on the sport tuned motor are much softer and motor life is decreased considerably. Since the brushes are not replaceable, just like the silver can Johnsons and Mabuchis, the sport tuned motor is also a throw away.

Is there any difference between the Johnsons and Mabuchi motors in terms of performance? I know Mabuchi is Japanese but where are the Johnsons motors made?

There must be some confusion here because in the Tamiya book it clearly states that the Sport Tuned is a 27 turn motor.

Look here

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=5995&id=447

I don't know how to put this scan directly in the forums so I have put it in my showroom. Maybe you will have to save it and then view it enlarged to see but it says the Sport Tuned is 27 turns.

Was there another Sport Tuned motor released?

As far as I know us people in europe got 23 turn sport tuned motors and I assume the rest of the world got the 27 turn ones with advanced timing , etc. But they both produce about the same power and RPM. As u can see 0.65 gauge wire was used to create a 27 turn version, US and Asian countries and the european market got a 0.8 gauge 23 turn motor. Look at the description in that scan u made. clearly says 0.65X27T and 0.8X23T.

Thanx

Jimbo

:)

AAARRRR, that explains it then. I was getting quite confused about all of that.

Do you know how to tell the difference between these two types?

[:D]Other than breaking it and counting the wires!!...LOL[:D]

I haven't got a clue, but over time these motors have been shipped everywhere so u end up with european spec sport tuned motors in the US and US and Asian spec motors over here. Its all a bit weird. But I'm not sure if there are 2 kinds anymore, I think Tamiya only make the 27 turn sport tuned now and ship it world wide. Saves money and confusion.

Thanx

Jimbo

:)

Everyone-

I don't know about the rest of the world, but here in the U.S. we recieve 27-turn Sport Tuned motors. How do I know this? I cracked open one of my very used, but still relatively new, Sport Tuned motors and actually counted all of the turns. Tedious, but worth it to see this debate put to rest.

The answer to whether or not lesser-turn armatures are put into Japanese or Brit versions is up to the brave East Asian or British soul who will follow my lead...

-John (scienceguy)

Have acquired various SportTuneds from all the usual sources - eg new from OP68 box, from a GrpC car kit, from a friend at the pub. [:)] All say "CHINA" stamped on the bell, all perform pretty much the same. More power than a RS540SH but much less than a rebuildable stocker (which is also 27t).

quote:
Originally posted by spice

Is there any difference between the Johnsons and Mabuchi motors in terms of performance? I know Mabuchi is Japanese but where are the Johnsons motors made?

id="quote">id="quote">

Not a very scientific method - just twisting the rotor and feeling the resistance/pull - but I'm suspecting the magnets on the current lot of RS540SH and Johnson 05s ("small test") are weaker than before.

Batch of Johnsons with "big text" (batch number printed in ink) seemed to have stronger magnets than current, these are from about 5-6 yrs ago in TA03 and FF kits. Old plastic-endbells feel stronger still.

So in the end, the hobby shop boy was wrong. I am going to print this out and stuff it in his face[:P] Not really. it's good info to know though

Jim

reviving the old topic since I was looking for some info about the motor myself (just got one recently)

Part# 53068

"china" on the bell, red and black power leads.

magnets felt terribly weaker compared to the metal endcapped Johnson that came with my kit..(not sure if this is a good thing or not, it just spins very smoothly by hand compared to the old johnson). I guess I'll give this motor a try... I don't think Tamiya including the ST motor in 2 special FF01 chassis for no reason.

Many TCS racers prefer the Johnson motor over the Mabuchi ones, they claim they are a little faster. Infact Tamiya sells a Johnson motor as a hop-up option.

Mike.

Hi

From what I have been able to sort out there are two kind of sport tuned motors. One for US/Asia and one for Europe - Don't know why though [8)]

The US/Asia version is a 27 turn single, and the Europe version is 23 turn single...

Kind regards

Martin

By the way the link to my site is the old link. The new link (with this information [;)]) is:

http://home19.inet.tele.dk/martinjordt/res...tors/motors.htm

This looks like the place to ask this question, even-though the thread is dead. So I'll just bring it back to life......

My question is, "Does it make any difference to the sport tuned, as to where the wires are?" My sport tuned is disturbingly slow, it's either tired or the wires have been put on the wrong way by the previous owner. Positive being negative and vise versa. I say this because one of the terminals is missing, and it's had the other one broken too. There is just enough to solder the wires on. I tried running it in my Desert Gator, and it wouldn't pull the skin off a pea. I have a long shingle drive and it hardly moves the stones, where-as the standard 'silver can 540' moves it like it was not even there. I can't tell which direction it's supposed to run either, the sticker is missing.[8-)]

Any help, and/or pics of the back of the motor would be very helpful.

Cheers'

Del

I am not sure if i can answer you question directly: i have no experience of reversing the polarity of these motors.

The positive lead goes to the terminal marked with the white dot...

But i would bet on that motor being tired. In my experience, the performance of a Sport-Tuned drops off rapidly as the brushes wear. If you look at a new ST, the brushes have several deep "serrations", and as soon as those are worn away, the motor is past its best. If you overgear the motor, this happens very very quickly.

IMHO, the Sport-Tuned ends up in the long term being an expensive motor, due to the limited lifespan, and more expensive, rebuildable motors provide much better economy for those willing to replace brushes and cut comms...

Sounds like the motor is worn out. If it was wired up the wrong way

round the car will go backwards instead of forwards. To drive forwards

the motor has to turn the right way round. The only way it will go slow

by wiring the motor backwards is using an ESC with a low power reverse

and using it backwards, you can tell if it is wrong as it would go fast

backwards.

If the motor is old (no label and broken tags hint that it is) and it

has been abused the magnets will have died as they weaken over time

when used. The brushes and bearings also wear out both drastically

affect performance.

For racers Sport Tuned were considered disposable, after just a few

race meetings they were usually replaced as they can't be maintained

and the performance drops off a lot faster than with a 540.

Your Sport Tuned has had it's useful life and nothing you can do will get its performance back.