Sign in to follow this  
netsmithUK

Speeding up paint drying...

Any tips?

One colour bodies take lone enough, so when you start doing the ones that take lots of colours or worse still the drivers, which use about 5 colours each. Spraying a coat then waiting hours can make the whole process takes weeks.

Anyone got any tips for lexan or hard bodies which speeds this up a little?

Cheers

Chris

logo_member2.gif

Hi Chris...

A haidryer is what i sometimes use but i find airbrushing really helps the drying time. It seems to dry quicker.

Adam

logo_member2.gif

On a sunny day (it does happen), I put it behind a window in direct sunshine.

Otherwise, I put it in the airing cupboard - I figured real cars are put in giant ovens to dry them quicker.

I also find spray on dries quicker.

Ta

Pete

Hi lads, the best way to spary is with an air brush as said above. When your using a can only about 10% is actually paint, the rest being thinners and repelant. With an air brush you can mix the paint so it goes on 'dry'. in other words your using more thinners which helps the drying time. If your going to use cans, then a hairdryer is best but, still be careful as you can cloud the paint with too much heat(or even worse burn it).

I always use a Hair Dryer on my lexan shells between coats...

The same applies for Hard bodies - however you need to be carefull how hot you get the paint - as it is better to have a VERY low heat.

My two aussie cents !

Cheers

Darryn

Visit my Web Page !!

webpagelink.JPG

The best way to make the paint dry more quickly is to stare at it continuously and check if it is still wet every 1-2 minutes. You can step out for short periods of time to see if your grass is any taller.

bholio

LOL yep I found also that the staring part works. I also usually paint a seperate piece of waste lexan and put it under a notice saying" WET PAINT - TEST HERE""

Jakes

logo_member2.gif

Of all the things I Lost - I miss my Mind the most

Hi

If you really want the paint to stick properly to the polycarbonate body, try warming up the body with a hairdryer before painting. This allows the paint to etch into the plastic, as well as getting the paint to dry faster. Personally after painting I put the body on top of a convector heater for 10-15 minutes. That usually does the trick.

I've just smoked out some windows, and I must say that very light coats and hair dryers are the quickest way definately, it was touch dry in minutes!

Pete

for lexan bodies, I leave mine under a reading lamp with a 60watt bulb. I can finish a body in about 3 hours, flames and all with no problems with drying. I just leave the finished body overnight to dry. For runner bodies, I spray on two coats of polyurethane for extra toughness.

when using polycarbonate paints (like the Tamiya PC), there is no problem painting over a layer even if it is not fully dry. The paint must be just dry enough to pull out masks without pulling the paint along the edges with it.

Yep, I have painted over colours before they have dried properly with no problems. Made painting rear light clusters very quick.

Pete

quote:

One colour bodies take lone enough, so when you start doing the ones that take lots of colours or worse still the drivers, which use about 5 colours each. Spraying a coat then waiting hours can make the whole process takes weeks.

id=quote>id=quote>

What paints are you using??

Tamiya PS cans dry fast enough; 1 coat usually dries to touch in under 2 mins, approx 1/2 can's paint spread over whole touring car body. Usually by the time one has covered the whole shell, the 1st end dried enough to repaint again anyway.

Waterbased paints take a bit longer.

Best painting tip?? - do more than 1 shell at a time! Always do multiples, its so much faster. Whilst 1 dries, coat the other.

Just make sure you label your paintcans clearly - don't mistakenly overspray with the wrong colour... icon_smile_big.gif