Sign in to follow this  
ml1275

Monster Beetle Decals

Looking at some MB repro decals on ebay. Has anybody out there used these?

If so - Any good???????

Cheers

ML

There are probably some good ones available, however I bought some off ebay from 'ottaviano1' and they were very poor quality ..... I wouldn'd even use them on a basher :(

I can do these, with very good quality, same as my 959 repos (of which I have no complaints). How much did you guys get them off ebay? Let me know and I will see if it makes business sense.

Jay

Hi there

They current ones on ebay go for £8.00 + 2.50 postage. I have asked the seller and the backing is white.

Personally I would pay a bit more (say £15) for a good quality print on a clear backing (Like the TamiyaClub ones).

Might be worth a 'poll' on this

Cheers

ML

I'd be up for buying a set too if you were to make any.

I've bought 2 lots for my Monster Beetle recently- one crappy lot from the States, and one set (printed on white background) which were good quality, but printed on sticky-back paper!?!

G-out!

I bought some from BMW520-i on Ebay..

Haven't applied them yet, but first impression is the lettering is very fuzzy and unclear, and the colors are fuzzy too.. so I figure they are from a poor scan or something.

Also appears the paper it's printed on is not transparent, so I don't know how to apply them, I guess you'd have to cut out the letters which would take a very long time.

I wouldn't recommend them.

@ Ideal2k -- BMW 520i is a club member here on TC.

Ottaviano decals are indeed poorly printed - I bought a set and thew them directly in the trash. 

Jay -- I have a special request for decal reproduction; what process are you using?

Besides a good repro set of MB decals, I'd also like a set or two of the Toyota Prerunner decals for basher stadium shells.

-Steve

Well.. that still doesn't change the fact that it's virtually impossible to cut out the small lettering in some of the MB decals, since the paper is non transparant it renders the decals useless, and also the edges were fuzzy and colors fuzzy.  So all in all, the decals were a waste of money if you ask me.. so I'd really not recommend that anyone else get them.

Edit:

contacted BMW520-i about said stickers.  He was not forthcoming.  Left negative for him on ebay, stating quality of decals, fuzzy print and that they were printed on non-transparent paper. Got negative revengefeedback, written in capslock "SHOUTMODE"...  wouldn't recommend this person to anyone.

Feedback I received: DON'T GO HERE,BUY THE REAL THING THEN ,WAS TOLD ,AND DOSE SAY STICKER COPIES

Thanks, I will make note [;)]

I can only agree, most repro decals, manuals etc are of very poor (useless) quality as most are made by people who want just to make a fast buck (often using even the work of others who scanned them and contributed them for free[:@]), shame that ebays feedback system is so bad, so disappointed buyers fear of warning others with a neagtive feedback. To make quality decals alot of work is involved to vectorize the scans, also professional printing is expensive too and that reflects in the price (thats why Chris' decals cost significantly more then the ebay ones), in the end you get what you pay for... [:(]

Cheers

I got stung also by Ottaviano1 and unfortunately purchased more than one set.

If memory serves correct Chris has offered to have a go at making some Monster Beetle decals but needs some firm orders up front. I am sure if he could do them for around $10 pound we would have a long queue of people wanting them. I would order 2 sets immediately at that price.

The originals are very expensive at around $65US these days. I was reasonably lucky to pick up a body set which only had the P parts and hardware bag missing for $60US and had the missing parts NIB so sold a set of decals I already had.

icon_homepage.gif

If someone wants to pay me £200.00 in advance, I will produce 10 decal sheets of just about any model they like.

You are then free to use as many of them as they want and sell the surplus. I'm afraid this is the only way I'd produce decals for some of the models suggested, as at the moment it me taking all the risk, of having them produced and then getting stuck with them. This way someone else gets to take the risk, although if you are so confident they are in demand you'll have no worries at all ;)

BTW this topic is open again :)

cheers

Chris

Like I said in past threads, I can do them, but I need to do a run of a minimum of 25 to make them affordable. Affordable means in line with Chris' prices and the price of the 959 sets that I did a few months ago. The problem that I find, just being honest, is that everyone talks as if they will purchase one or two sets, but when it comes right down to it, I never hear from them again. Then I am left sitting on a huge investment of my own coin (which doesnt make the wife very happy). All that I want is to break even and help the club out (I have many other things that I can make money with). If the club can somewhat seriously show interest in +25 sets, I will do it.

The quality is great. They are not transparent or somewhat opaque. I worked with the print shop to specifically use vinyl, as there is no bleed through and it is great to go around corners (bends easy). The draw back is it is bit more expensive than the all out print type.

If anyone has any questions about quality, let me know. I can send you some pics of the 959 set or refer to a couple of people whom bought them. I have not a complaint thus far. Or just look here:

http://tamiyaclub.com/CS/forums/2/148558/ShowThread.aspx

Thanks!

Jay

Hey Jay!

I will, without a doubt, take 2 sets from you. My eBay feedback should help ease your mind.

Ottaviano1 is a TC member as well. TC name - RcRacer. i have dealt with him many times in the past with great experiences. though i have not had any decals of his, i'm sure he would like to know any concerns regarding them. he has updated his auctions to state the short comings of the decals, but that is why he sells them so cheap. i can understand everyones frustrations, but in defense of Artie (Ottaviano1) , he is a great fellow ebayer with good pricing on his NIP items. he ships items quickly and well packaged. i didn't want this topic to become an attack on him as an ebayer as he has always taken good care of my orders with no problems, and this decal concern should not deter anyone from bidding on his other items.

Nick

I agree that Artie is a great seller overall but the decals were a major dissappointmnet. I have traded with him a number of times and had no problems with anything else. Sorry I should have put this with my first comments.

Ottaviano1 is a TC member as well. TC name - RcRacer. i have dealt with him many times in the past with great experiences. though i have not had any decals of his, i'm sure he would like to know any concerns regarding them.

Ah ha! I hadn't made the connection -- thank you for pointing that out, Nick.

Truth be told, I never complained to Artie about the decals for a couple of reasons. I had ordered the decals 'off-eBay'( which he did give me a decent deal) and secondly, I received the decals while I was in Europe, so by time I got back to see them it was way past the point of complaint.

You are correct that he does a good job to explain the material quality of the decals, but in my personal opinion, they are not up to the job in any category; They don't conform to curves, they aren't correctly colored, and the resolution is very poor. I just can't imagine even trying to stick these on anything other than a complete basher.  But then at 10-12 bucks you could buy a couple of nice cans of paint.[8-)]

-Steve

I can do these, with very good quality, same as my 959 repos (of which I have no complaints). How much did you guys get them off ebay? Let me know and I will see if it makes business sense.

Jay

Jay, I sent you an email, put me up for one sheet. :-)

Lars

I am going to ask the print shop to quote doing them. I am planning letting the quantity determine the price, as I am afraid there is not enough interest. I will get back to you guys when I get some feedback on the price. If anyone has any questions, please let me know. Thanks!

Jay

I see on Ebay you can purchase new ones for about $65 US (9 sets last tiem I looked)

Hey Jay!  Any luck with this yet?

Sorry, I have not had time... been busy with the day job as we have 1:1 (12 ton) vehicle due the middle of next month. In the past two weeks, the only day I have had off was July 4..... put in 71 hours last week and this week is no looking much better.

I have not given up on it and will let everyone know what happens when it happens. Thanks!

Jay