Sign in to follow this  
Tamstar

What collectors stuff did you throw away before you started collecting?

Truly the saddest day I ever heard of is when MRC in New Jersey filled a dumpster with new Tamiya parts. Literally a ton of brand new stuff that the then new Tamiya America refused to accept as returns. For years, MRC was the distributor of Tamiya. Many of you are familiar with the bagged parts marked MRC. The STORY, as I heard it was that when Tamiya America opened up, MRC was not only cut off, but were not allowed any credit on the parts that were not in original Tamiya packages. I was always told that MRC either had problems getting replacement parts or decided to make much more profit by stripping kits and packaging the parts in their own bags. Please remember that this story is not set in stone. This part I can confirm.....MRC DID toss a ton of new parts out and many were plucked out by a friend of mine that worked there after hours. I bought a large amount from him for a very good price in about 1986 or 1987. Many Hilux frames & metal parts, SRB parts etc. All gold! All gone now. Jim......sniff....sob

We used to have an old model shop here in Witten that reopened now. This old shop used to have many vintage Tamiya parts. One day I asked the seller of the reopened shop what they did with it. He told me that it was all thrown away!

I never believed that and found now a seller on ebay.de who bought 3 garages full of vintage stuff from them. I saw 2 of his garages and these were all filled with vintage Kyosho/Graupner and Tamiya parts. That guy is called ivg-handel on ebay.

Not that I like this guy or want to promote his shop, I simply want to show you that you can't believe most hypes/rumours. He makes a living of this! Incredible is'nt it?

Well for me it was getting rid of a Rough Rider,Lunchbox,Monster Beetle,Kyosho Ultima and Optima Mid.

All over the space of a few years as well,sold one to fund the other and it just went on and on.

Somewhere there is a box that still has some Opitma Mid bits in as it was the last one I owned before I got back into RC.

I many years ago i got my hands on well used Fox and Grasshopper, both had electrical problems and not running, i got them off my nephew (he gave them to me) i was excited at the idea of restoring them, but didn;t know how, out of fashion in hobby shops by then, and in the days before Ebay. After sitting around for a year i decided to give them back (i dont know what he did with them)....Now i wish i didn't....the Fox, could had saved me alot of money in building up a Fox shelf-queen, and could of also had a runner too?....and parts from the grasshopper would come in handy now with my new Grasshopper, or Hornet.

So stick with ya stuff...cos it costs alot of money to replace it again, esp when someone gives you the stuff. Even tho now i got most of the R/C cars i want and wanted as a kid, i still wished i kept those 2 cars!

Mike30.

My old catalouges!!! Can't even remeber where they vent... Lots of Tamiya and Kyosho catalouges that would have been between 8-18 years old...

Yea and my Hornet, I bought a new one but it is not the same:-)

Ohh, this brings bad memories...

Throwing avay my old Hilux 4x4 Box and manual [:'(], selling a 58040 Lancia Rally[:'(], one Kyosho Hilux (?) (with the ballon tires that needed air from time to time)[:'(], one Graupner Renault Alpine (still have the manuals...) [:'(] and some early 80's Tamiya catalogs...[:'(]

...never again....

Lars

I remember tossing my Avante in the garbage because it was disassembled a little and I was in a bad mood.  I then proceeded to throw out the guide books, extra parts, batteries. etc.  etc..   Oh and trading my Falcon for a BMX bike..   Man, I was an idiot..

I threw out a Royal Ripper (not much of a car anyway, it was given to me from a friend). No parts to repair the darn thing anywhere. The only actual car I threw away.

I tossed all of my RC Car Action mags from the 80's and 90's but saved all my Mad magazines. I threw out the wrong ones obviously.

God knows what else I tossed. I did sell (which I equate to throwing away at this point) an Egress (run twice because it was too nice to run), Hornet, Blackfoot, Kyosho/Cox Progress, Mud Blaster, Boomerang, 3 Clod Busters, Honda S-MX Lowdown, Thundershot, and a Terra Scorcher. Now I feel like crying. [:(]

Has to be jumping a battered old second hand rough rider with 3 wheels

into the Thames during a drunken sunday race in the late 80s or early

90s. Its  probably still there,  and  leaving a sand

rover with a mate for over 10 years, needless to say now gone.

Didn't throw it away, (may as well of though) sold it far too cheap. 58036 Audi Quattro Rally. Picked it up for $100 NZD at a local swap meet, used it for about a year, then....... sold it for about $50 NZD. What was I thinking. Didn't know what would become of it in the future.

Dopeeeeeeee Del

I sold my fully hopped up Avante with NIB spare body for $200 nz way back in the 90's gutted as that car was mint! That works out to be about £70, that kid that bought it got a bargain!

When i was a kid i threw away 3 of my rc's. If i'd have known that they were collectables i'd have kept them.

Hornet - threw away after my cousin smashed it into a tree and snapped the chassis[:@]

Madcap - that went after many years of abuse, everything had stupid amounts of slop, the gears were well worn and it was generally knackered

Thunder Dragon - snapped the rear wishbone and thought i couldn't get a new one so that went

A few years ago i sold my Shuey Cougar to my mate thinking that he'd take care of it. He didn't[:(]

When I went to Uni I needed more beer money so sold all my cars to a kid down the road for about £50. Still kicking myself 13 or so years on as it included a Kyosho Tomahawk (I built it from nib), Lancia Rally and Monster beetle!! 

Probably why I've started to get back into it but cannot find a Tomahawk that I can afford!!  Actually considering selling all my cars again but won't be letting them all go for £50 this time!!!

Redseven

I guess my main problem wasn't to throw away parts that may be valuable today, but the abuse I've put on my models in the outset of my rc-career.

OK, trading my WW for a yacht model that I didn't run very long, that is a point that even annoys me doday. Especially because my WW was a direct ancestor to the modern WW2 since I've equipped it with Bruiser rims and wheels ... and it worked fine ... better that the original.

We learn from our mistakes ... at least we should ...

cheers

Martin

Let's see.... the worst would be all the old editions of the RC mags that I had from the late 80s - early 90s........ and the Tamiya RC catalogues that went with them...

Not quite thrown away, but I did sell a Porsche 959 and a Toyota Celica GrB.... both ready to run with Technigolds.... both with boxes... and with heaps of spares.... for AUS$150!!! Not as bad to others here, but definitely painful to me, was my old PB Mini Mustang with full bearings and upgrades, gold Hotshot wheels, AND A BODY (in good condition) with an ESC as well for AUS$60 to the guy across the road.... who denies all knowledge now.....

Live and learn I guess...

Alex

Gave away a Porsche 959. Great condition, never got driven much on

account of a faulty speed controller out the box. It had an unpainted

body, with a few minor scratches, came with the box, manual, stickers

and period Futaba radio gear. Everything  in good nick.

I finally figured out that the speed controller was still touching in

the neutral position (quick fix with the file). But by then I had

broken the rear lower wishbone. This was before I knew about eBay.

It sat around for a while, then my cousin asked about it. I felt that

it would be good for someone to enjoy it like I once did. My uncle had

machinery equipment as he had fabricated a gryocopter from scratch. So

thought he could easily make some custom parts. But alas, he stripped

it and made a boat, binning the rest.

I also threw out an Ayk Bobcat and my prized possesion, a Wild Willy.

These were stolen by a friends brother. Then returned spray painted and

damaged, once he realised we knew he had them and had called the

police. I was so upset that these were in the state they were I

preferred to remove them from my site. That WW was the one car I always

wanted. It had a lot of sentimental value, as I worked hard to save for

it. Also as my father was very busy running his own business, the

little time I spent with him was on his day off on Sunday to come

racing with me.