Sign in to follow this  
Micky P

Volvo FH12 Globetrotter

I have just got a Volvo FH12 Tractor Truck for christmas, and have nearly completed building it. Does anyone know the best way of spraying this type of 'Styrene' body? I was also considering purchasing an Electrical Unit set, but was unsure of the features that this part has. Does anyone have one of these trucks, and can anyone give me some advice as to how I can paint my body?

Thanks for any help you can give me.[:D]

For large areas of the same colour ( like this body ) just use Tamiya spray cans. For this body you need the TS series of paint. I think this truck is Yellow on the box and the colour for this would be..... I can't remember, but it is TS- something.

The best tip for painting is: be prepared to have a lot of patience!!.. To do a decent job will take at least a week, not just a few hours. You have to remember any time spent painting well will mean you enjoy the model for years, if you rush it and mess it up then you will have years of not enjoying it and thinking "I wish I'd done that properly in the first place!"

Always use Tamiya primer first and then spray in light coats until it's well covered. ALWAYS use Tamiya masking tape, don't use normal stuff from the hardware shop because the paint will creep under it. Tamiya stuff is expensive because it's good. The old saying works here "you get what you pay for".

The more effort you put into painting the more you will enjoy the model.

Good luck.

The 56501 Tractor Truck Electrical Unit Set includes the following functions:

headlights

turning lights (steering servo actuated)

brakelights

5 lights for the cab roof

backup beeper (when reversing)

It's quite an expensive way of getting these relatively few functions, and most can easily be made.

For brake lights, you can use the 53114 RC brake Light Set (at a fraction of the cost).

For headlights, 5mm white light diodes or the 50320 R/C Light Bulb Set.

Turning lights are a little harder, but Conrad Electronics (www.conrad.de) has a kit for fully electronic turning lights which I installed on my King Hauler with ease.

The backup beeper is actually only a simple piezo beeper, which costs about 1 Euro / USD in electronics shops. This are "polarity dependent" and most work in wide voltage windows (typically 3-12V), so they will automatically work when driving one direction only. You just have to wire it in parallel with the motor, and it will beep either when running forward of backwards. If beeping when driving forwards, just switch polarity.

Thank you very much for your help. I am fairly new to this website but already I know were to come if I need anymore help. I will add the picture of my finished truck to my showroom so you can have a browsewhen its all done. Thanks again.[;)]