Sign in to follow this  
Gruntfuggly

Allowed to die gracefully?

What are your thoughts on keeping 'runners' going with new parts? There are parts that could do with replacing on my Vanquish, but I don't want to use some hard to get hold of part just to keep it going (and likely getting broken again at some point).

Should runners just get shelved when there are too many broken parts?

If I use my precious runners then I do so carefully! I had a vanquish and used it a little and must say from my experience you would have to be trying to break it. I know some people like to use their vintage runners to the extremes of their ability but I feel this is wastefull. Why run a vintage car over crazy jumps, through swamps and into solid obects when you can use something new? I would happily use my more modern cars as cannon fodder with the knowledge that spare parts are just a phonecall away. Modern cars are more durable and are worth less too!

Really there is no reason to wreck old cars these day and there is certainly no reason for any old car to die unless it is to give parts to many other project. I bet loads of you will dissagree and insist that you just have to run that mint SS through a swamp! I say get a T-Maxx and do it!

I've come up against this problem. I have ended up with cars in my collection that I don't really want to use.

I will buy a modernish buggy to use that I don't feel is collectable. I know of a NIB Terra Conqueror for £125. This is still an old kit ( from december 1992 ) but I will use this as a runner.

It is much cheaper than running a genuine vintage kit because of the price of parts.

I actually never run my vintage cars, the only thing I ever ran was my HB with a near dead battery, wasn't much fun so I quited it. I am going to aquire one of the most collectable cars there is for a very reasonable price - sorry, it HAS to stay a little secret, though I have been bragging about it by accident a bit... [:I] I like this car so much I am definatly going to run it! With the GREATEST care though. There is no need to 'race' it down...

When I run one of my vintage cars, I do it with great care (actually as with all my RC cars). I also tend to put old tires on it and the bodies can be very tatty as well. They don't need to win a beauty-contest! [:o] [;)] [:X] When you run for example a SS, I say you carefully take the mirrors etc. off before it GETS taken off... [:(] We all know the terribly high prices. [V] I wil also do it on my future ***********... [;)]

quote:

I am going to aquire one of the most collectable cars there is for a very reasonable price - sorry, it HAS to stay a little secret, though I have been bragging about it by accident a bit...

id="quote">id="quote">

Congratulations on finally getting your Sonic Fighter Sjoerd! :)

It depends on how bad you want to run the car. there are rare parts and there are really rare parts. I say run it but run it with care. Most of my vintage cars only grace the shelf. Only a few of my cars are ready to run. My Hilux, Mountaineer, Jeep, Fast Attack, Rough Rider, Midnight Pumpkin and HPI F-1 are ready to go. When I do run them I run them with extreme care.

I have plenty of current cars I can thrash on. Vehicles today are so much better than the vintage cars. Comparing my Losi XX4 to my Boomerang or Avante is a joke. The Losi is so much smoother running. The allure of running a vintage car is to get a feel for what the technology had to offer at the time. after running a vintage car, you appreciate just how far R/C vehicles have evolved over the years.

Jim

I think old cars are there to be run, but not as you would run new cars, as shodog says 'run with care', if you are carefull then they shouldnt break. At the winter meet I thrashed my celica and brat (should have been a little more gentle I suppose) but they stand up to alot, I dont think there were much in the way of breakages that day and a lot of vintage cars were run... they are stronger than they seem.

I agree,

quote:At the winter meet I thrashed my celica and brat (should have been a little more gentle I suppose) but they stand up to alot, I dont think there were much in the way of breakages that day and a lot of vintage cars were run... they are stronger than they seem.
id="quote">id="quote">

i like to use my vintage runners, i think seeing a couple of SS runners at the winter meet made a lot of peoples day, i know i enjoyed running it. Likewise, i wont be doing any spectacular jumping with them but getting the SS wet is one thing that does it no harm, the only thing i broke at the meet was my Terra Crusher!!

Hopefully should have 6 vintage runners for the next meet!!

logo_member2.gif

Don't take life too serious, you'll never make it out alive!