Sign in to follow this  
netsmithUK

Calling all Apple Mac Users.

Please get your coats and leave now!

Just kidding - like I've said before I have more macs in my house than PCs but sometimes they drive me to despair (and before I get lectures about the mac/safari being the best, most compliant browser in the world ever - its not, its as bad as the rest with its own unique set of oddities) Some recent changes I have made to the site to speed up things for all seem to be cause unwanted effects on some Macs.

In looking for answers I've discovered something wierd which might just help - more on that later.

In the meantime I need all you mac users (subscribers) to do me a simple favour. Go to your showroom and go through the process of adding a model - apart from the last step. The thing I'm particularly interested in is the range and model menus at the top of the page. The way this should work is; you see the range menu, and select a range. Directly underneath that there is some read text, this should then change to another menu where you can select a model.

What I need from you is a simple post here of

• Your browser type and version number
  • Your operating system version
  • a statement to say if it worked as described above

For those that don't see the second menu please try this.

Type the following into a Terminal window on your mac (while safari is NOT running)

% defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1

The launch safari and you should see a new debug menu at the end.

I noticed today that although I typed in the exact same path copy and pasted from a document, all lower case, on the PC it gave a page as expected. On the mac it constantly came back "page not found" I could see no reason for this. (please bear in mind there was nothing fancy about this page, nothing in it other than basic valid, W3C certified html) On this test mac the above range/model test was not working - not surprising as it depended on this file it couldn't find

Anyway in the debug menu you have the option of setting a "User Agent" - by default its set to "Automatically Chosen" but you can select whatever you like from the options, Netscape, Mozilla, Explorer etc. For no particular reason I set it to Explorer and did the same test again. This time it worked perfectly. The menus worked first time and the page it couldn't find before it found. A big step forward but I just don't know why. Anticipating people complaining that they "didn't want to set it explorer" I changed it back. I cleared my cache rebooted and went to test the menu system again.

Guess what it worked first time, as did the page - found it without a hitch.

This is what I mean about driving me bonkers. Nothing has changed with my code since it was not working to this point where it now works on this test machine. All I've done, is changed a setting in the browser and then changed it back again.

Anyway - apologies for the long rambling post. Please post your findings here and let me know if this 'fix' works for you too or not.

Chris

Safari v1

OS 10.2.8

Didnt work

Firefox v1.5.0.4

OS 10.28

Did work

Will try the "fix" and let you know...

No change in Safari behaviour for me. One point of clarity required: i take it you mean clear the browser cache and reboot the browser, not the mac...

I did both, but that was more me trying to stop it working after it started to. So far since switching the user agent I've not been able to replicate the problem again.

As already mentioned in another thread:

- Your browser type and version number

(Safari 1.3.2 v312.5)

- Your operating system version

(Panther 10.3.9)

- a statement to say if it worked as described above

( It works for me. )

OS version 10.2.8

Safari version 1.0.3

Second dropdown menu doesn't appear for me either. Tried every browser agent and made no difference.

LOL 3 macs to one PC in my house too, these are results from my laptop. will try home machine this eve.

O.S. 10.4.5

Safari 2.0.3

Did'nt work

Terminal said 'no such job' after patch (that may be just me being dumb though)

Updating now but I may be some time.