bimmerman

MY BAJA BUG!!! - pictures taken in 1988

Went through an old shoebox and found these old pictures. Here are some pictures of my Sand Scorcher purchased NIB in 1988 and completed 2 weeks later. Pictures have started to yellow cos we didn't have Digital back then.

Untitled-10.jpg

Wonder why Tamiya designed the Scorcher with such a ridiculour camber angle. Made the car flip easily when cornering on tarmac. My car had "corrected" negative camber.

• Like 2

AWESOME LOOKING BAJA!!!

I really like the black center of the wheels!!!

Holy macarena!!!

Nice!!!

Still got ´em?

Cheers

Badboy

Excellent pics fella, they look(ed) great.

Scorchers have to be one of the best looking models ever [H]

Untitled-14.jpg

Thanks guys! Yeah, I've still got it. The others are not mine though. Mine's the blue one with the black wheel hubs. Sadly she don't look the same no more. I got a bit carried away and mounted some racing sponge tires and raced her like some hotrod back then. Due to the camber change I made she handled like she was on rails or somethin. The others would flip but mine stayed sunny side up. Then I mounted a technigold and the speed was just too much! Took a sharp corner and saw her flippin and cartwheeling into the air before crashing down on the tarmac. Scraped the paintjob real bad!

I repaired what I could but the scrapemarks are still there and the paint has cracked somewhat. I'll post some pictures later guys.....

Very nice and rare to see old photos of nicely painted SSs, most of them were painted back then in a rush to be driven asap.

Cheers

Superb - I love those old yellowing photos [:D]

That's a real tidy-looking bug, too.  I feel left-out that I

wasn't involved in RC when these cars were popular and available

new.  The look and finish is a cut above what's available

today.... I strongly hope the new 350 marks a return to the

style of good-looking replicas rather than 4wd plastic touring cars and

buggies that look like they came out of a sci-fi cartoon[:|]

Yeah, tell me about it man. The HPI, Traxxas, Associated evil axis is churning out cars with all go and no show these days. It's all about going faster than the other car. Sadly Tamiya seems to be headin that way too with its latest offerings. [:'(]

Man, do I get a warm feeling watching those pics!

Top post![:D]

Thx for sharing!

Grtz Dee.

Woah man, That is one of the nicest scorchers i've seen in a while, It's differnet but in a good way!

Man, do I get a warm feeling watching those pics!

Bladder control problem..?

Seriously, it's a nice bug, but it's not that nice [:o]

Well, she ain't lookin so good these days. I can't decide if I want to keep her the way she is or buy a new bodyshell and start over.

IMG_6484.jpg

IMG_6485.jpg

IMG_6486.jpg

The headlights and plastic parts have yellowed, the stinger tailpiece has broken off and will ya just take a look at those cracks! Guess I overdid it with the gloss back then. If i'd only spend a little more on Tamiya paint, none of these would have happened I guess.

IMG_6488.jpg

IMG_6489.jpg

IMG_6490.jpg

Had them coil springs at the rear. Made a huge improvement in handling over them torsion bars. I lowered the car just enough for a slight negative camber angle and this allowed me to attack corners with gusto! This Baja could drift even before drifting was invented. [:D]

MY ONE REGRET!!!

IMG_6492.jpg

I cut a hole at the side of the waterproof tub so that I could use a regular racing pack instead of them humpback packs! Man these waterproof tubs are irreplaceable these days!! They go for about $150 on ebay!!! Slap my face and call me Betty!!!

IMG_6491.jpg

wow!!! what an amazing bunch of vintage pics, and to still own the same car is great! i think too many people sold their old rc's and regreted it later on. too bad about the radio box, but i think it adds some character to a bug thats been with you for so many years! [:D]

i think you should keep it as it is. its so original, and still has the same paint job as all those years ago. plus you've got the added history with those great pictures.

whatever you decide to do, just dont sell it [;)]

The body seems to be in excellent shape, you will need alot of money to get a similar conidition one with undamaged rain bar, better just stip the one you have and re-paint it with quality colours (with the same scheme as its yours and brings back memories [:)] )

Cheers

I think you should keep it the way it is and don't worry about value.

In terms of (your own) RC-history it's priceless.

You can always buy another one and make it just like the one on the pics but it will never be the same, if you know what I mean.

That was a great era! Treasure the evidence!

Grtz Dee.

I'm with deemiller on this one don't touch it it's priceless how it is. Those old pics and then to see it still almost the same after so many years of joy gave a little smile! Made me think back to when i was a little fella on the side line with my hornet cheering for my old man racing his baja!

Thanks for sharing mate

Jim the wookie

Yeah, leave it as it is...! Looks great even with all the cracks. Originality is worth lots, both value and sentimentality. Fab scheme with the wheel centres painted - looks the nuts...!