bimmerman

MY BAJA BUG!!! - pictures taken in 1988

considering the age the overall condition is very nice.. looks like you were a careful driver.

if you decide to restore it i would keep your original design and paintjob.

the radioboxmod was very common thing. i have seen alot, just like yours on the bay.

at least you didnt drill holes in everthing to save some weight.[:)]

whatever you do , please keep us posted.

cheers birdy

Wow! Thanks for all the feedback and support guys!! I have decided to keep it just the way it is. The cracks and scrapes and the silly mods make it truely mine and represent the good times I had with this quirky little bug.

I've never seriously raced it but did break a few magnesium suspension arms and blow a Mabuchi 540 original. I made changes to the camber and front caster angle and for a while I thought she was invincible. Mine became more of a Tarmac Scorcher than sand scorcher. Other Baja Bugs would roll over and flip on tarmac but mine cornered with gusto! I even did drifts on wet roads because the lack of a differntial made it oh so easy. I don't think there was a term for drifting back then.

Handling was pure Porsche 911. You throttle into corners and watch the rear end squat and the front outer wheel would lift a little and at this point you apply full throttle and watch the car drift with full mid corner adjustability balancing steering and throttle input. The experience was just priceless! But I got carried away and managed to flip her one fateful day. I repaired the paintjob immdiately but stowed her away for 20 years until recently when I saw a Wild Willy II at a local Tamiya store, bought it and remembered that I was once into this stuff.

Man it's great to be back!!!

Nice memories and lovely car [H], as other said better leave it as it is, btw the SRB consist of alu and pot metal parts, magnesium would be too good to be true [:D]

Cheers

In the 1:1 car restoration world, your Scorcher would be said to have "patina". Patina is different from grot, which is much nastier and not sought after. Nobody ever says, Nice grot. But you've definitely got Nice Patina there. Shows its age, but wears it well.

You could dump a ton of money and time into making it better than it was, but then the memories would be buried under the new paint. I wouldn't change a thing.

Gota agree with everyone else here, leave the car as it is. LOVED looking at them old photos, some really nice alternative scheme there, your scheme and the red/black SS look beautiful. Thanks for sharing the photos matey, and glad youve decided to keep it as-is.

Bumping in a bit late :)

Nice old pictures, also intresting to see how paint scheme's and color's used changed over the years,

Do have a diffrent opinion then other members, i would say,

strip the body, and repaint it in the exact same colors as it was before the crash, maybe find a new exhaust pipe for it. To return it to his glory days , ehm.. before the crash ;)

With a bit of bodywork, the damage should be repaireble.

Would not change the mod's or the radio box, that does make it "yours".

Stefan

Oh, WOW!

These must be the nicest pictures of Sand Scorchers EVER!

What a lovely bunch of SWEET baja buggies. Congratz, bimmerman! :angry:

I would leave it the way it is. It looks too cool to rebuild. I worked in a hobby shop in So. Cal. around 1980, and built around 25 to 30 Sand Scorchers for customers, and I've always wondered whatever happened to them... Glad to see you still have your survivor. :)

On 13/8/2006 at 1:04 PM, bimmerman said:

Even had a Baja club back then! Oh yeah!!

Untitled-9.jpg

Untitled-7.jpg

Untitled-6.jpg

Untitled-5.jpg

It's already been a decade and these are still one of the most awesome Sand Scorcher bunch of pictures to ever grace this Club! Wow!

Awesome! The Sand scorcher really is a model that takes any colour scheme well. I especially like yours and the Dark red/black one.

Yeah I can just picture some flared trousers and a big ghetto blaster in the background.