Sign in to follow this  
Supershot

Tamiya RC1400SP batteries

Hello!

I'm thinking of buying some Tamiya RC1400SP batteries!What's their performance like?Are they reliable?What are your thoughts on these batteries as well as Tamiya batteries in general!

In general, I don't buy battery by Tamiya since I understand they don't make their own batteries but they buy from say Sanyo and repackage them. Therefore, tamiya batteries are generally more expensive. But if one must have everything by Tamiya than by all means.

They're made of the 1400 SCR Sanyo sell (afaik) - which was a brilliant cell in it's day (15 years ago) and is still a decent performer, voltage/punch wise.

BUT capacity is WAY short of what most current cells can supply. You can get GP 3300 stick packs for about £30, Sanyo 2000 sticks for about £20, and GP 2000 or so sticks for about £13!

I totally agree with above but one thing I will say about those Tamiya packs is that Tamiya must have had very stringent quality control because I've still got a couple of the 1400 Tamiya packs which must be at least 10 years old. They still perform well and give my daughter in excess of 10mins runtime in her Mad Bull. They must have been charged over 300 times by now easily. Very good packs! [8D][:D]

I'd still buy the Sanyo 2000 racing packs though if I was buying new.

sosidge:Where abouts can you get these GP2000 sticks for £13 from?

Cheers

Justin

Look on t'bay...

You can probably find them in a lot of model shops as well. I would avoid any cheap sticks that aren't GP or Sanyo cells though.

quote:I would avoid any cheap sticks that aren't GP or Sanyo cells though
id="quote">id="quote">How true, I got a couple of Nosram 2200 packs for my daughter as they were only £10 each and 'appeared' to be a good deal but sadly they have ZERO punch, it is like driving a car with a flat battery and runtime is quite a bit less than that from a 2000 Sanyo cell.