Sign in to follow this  
netsmithUK

Definitions...NIB/New Built/Runner etc

What do all these terms mean to you - looking through the showrooms it seems we have quite a wide range of definitions of these terms - what do you think they stand for. Just to start the ball rolling I think there are the following breaks...

NIB/New in Box - exactly as it says - original package, with everything there as the day it was sold.

New built - Built from entirely new parts (Should we distinguish between those built from new parts and those built straight out of the box)

If a new built is run - how many test drives are allowed before it becomes something else?

Runner - a regularly used model

Just a few thoughts...

I beleive NIB should be as described here already !

New Built is exactly that - either new built from a kit using entirely NEW parts - OR new built ENTIRELY from new parts bought seperately. Either way it is new built !!

If it has been Run - then I guess it is still new built - however should be described as a runner??

Restored : This is an area where most of the cars should appear if they do not incorporate all new parts. Restored is exactly that - cleaned,polished,fixed etc etc - you cant call a restored car a new built one.

There are a number of cars in the showroom, that are described as new built - but are obviously not......this is a tough call I know - however if we are trying to keep things clear and simple - perhaps this should be made more clear when you are posting new photos to the showroom?

Cheers

Darryn

"There are a number of cars in the showroom, that are described as new built - but are obviously not......this is a tough call I know "

I agree with Darryn here if you go look at my grasshopper. It is newbuit from an old and very dirty NIB kit. In fact the springs were rusted and still are. But it is still a new built.

id='Arial'>id=size6>id=orange>MIB or NIB? there are two abreviations that crop up a lot, both on E**y and in places like this. N=New thats pretty much self explanatry. M=Mint not so commom but also used, I=In (Doh!) and B could stand for either Box as in most cases but Ive also seen it refer to Bag when ppl are selling new in bag parts at auction.

there is no set standard for such meanings!

One sub category in the 'cars' section (as in Kyosho etc) I'd like to see would be 'Heavily Modified'. There's a few cars at the club that use donor parts to become something totally unrecognisable, the trouble is that they're usually classed as 'projects'

It'd be cool to see what people are doing to their 'treasures' without trawling through all the 'miscellaneous'- you know, a link that says "view other Heavily Modified" like it would for say, a sand scorcher.

One that immediately springs to mind would be Mooplea's sand rail;

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=1320&id=17

Just a thought logo_member2.gif

Edited by - TWINSET on 09 Sep 2002 03:35:44

Edited by - TWINSET on 09 Sep 2002 03:36:28

Wow, I wish eBay would define these terms. In fact what we can do is define the terms here and refer to them in auctions. Or ask a seller to confirm that their use of the term 'new built' is analogue to what's defined at TamiyaClub.com. Just an idea.

Because, from my experience a lot of folks still need help with the definition of the word 'new'.

Anyways, I would define them as follows:

NIB: Just like it came from the factory. Any items missing or packaging opened should be listed as such. Of course you can indicate the state of the kit, but it remains NIB, even though it's in poor shape.

MIB: this term is abused and should be dropped because it leaves room for interpretation (what is mint?)

New built: 100% new, original Tamiya parts, made specifically for this car where used. Never really run, maybe only once to test the functionality (obviously indoors and for a short amount of time). If hop-up parts or so where used, it should be indicated.

I think it may be interesting to indicate if:

a) the gears have been greased

B) the dampers have been filled with oil

c) there was ever _any_ test driving

There are several other issues. Sometimes it's hard to know what came with a kit. And sometimes there where differences, like the Hotshot bumper for example, or the Sand Scorcher bumper (black or grey). An other thing is that there are 'fake' parts out there. Someone slipped me a servo saver that I don't think is original (because it says 'made in korea' on the tree and the brand names on the bottom parts are missing). I almost put it in my NIB Hotshot kit which was missing the servo saver because the previous owner decided to use it...

... I'd better start putting some cars in my showroom instead of talking so much icon_smile_blush.gif

I think definitions are good to give a general idea, but in the end long detailed descriptions and nice pictures define conditions better. Just as an example if a car has just one small part from a used one, can we count it as new built? If not, this means the owner rather remove the part and leave it only 99% but then it would0 be new built? Anyway nice topic, but words and pictures cannot be replaced.

I agree with micky, I like the idea of a standard set of questions or rating that people can refer to so that we are all singing off the same hymn sheet.

And I agree with Theo in that this would be best used in conjunction with great photos and description.

The questions should be as far as possible referring to undisputable fact and have simple yes no replies, eg

Is it New in Box

Has it ever been driven

Are all the parts new

Are all the parts original

etc

etc

Which then begs the question, what 10 questions would you ask (Assume you are only allowed very simple asnswes (yes/no/etc)

Chris

Only problem I have with that is some people don't even have the time to put in a description, so having a bunch of questions or whatever might just put you off entirely.

I like the bare outlines of the categories, you can use your own discression somewhat.

Possibly though a category could be added, something like As New, or Like New, and also a Modified, or Racer type cat too would be good? or is that too many??

id='Verdana'>

Stu in Scotland

logo_member2.gif

I think we just need to push this forward a little, as I see that people are still classifying some of thier cars wrongly, particularly under NIB and New built then they obviously are not.

a standard set of definitons is a good starting part...

quote:
NIB/New in Box - exactly as it says - original package, with everything there as the day it was sold.

New built - Built from entirely new parts (Should we distinguish between those built from new parts and those built straight out of the box)

If a new built is run - how many test drives are allowed before it becomes something else?

Runner - a regularly used model

id=quote>id=quote>

or like i said I think some simple standard questions might be an idea.

what do you lot think?

logo_member2.gif

I think there needs to be a 'shelf queen' or similar category. I have 2 cars which have been run enough to not be 'new built', but are in nice enough condition to not be 'Projects', and they are used infrequently enough (or never) to not be called 'runner'. And I haven't 'Restored' them.

There's a hole between New Built and Runner.

I agree New Built to Runner does seem a bit of a drop - I'm open to suggestions.

I think 'shelf queen' is too vague as a New Built could be called a shelf queen too. What we are looking for are some obvious categories and definitions that everyone understands...

and they are ????

logo_member2.gif

Ive followed the thread and it makes mostly sense so far. On most of the categories I dont have a problem, but the runner is a tricky one. Why not add a "BASHER" category. Then Your "Sunday" runner goes to RUNNERS and the ones we play with every day can go to BASHERS???

Just a Thought!!

Jakes

logo_member2.gif

Of all the things I Lost - I miss my Mind the most

Not sure about that one Theo...

Just explain how you would define a 'perfect restore' if its all new bits then is it not a 'New Built'?

Maybe 'restored' as a category should just go - as it is more a process as opposed to an end result like the other. You could restore something to a runner, to NIB, to shelf queen etc etc etc.

This is all proving to be quite tricky.

logo_member2.gif

Just a few more Ideas from me - if of any help

1 NIB - Just what it is!!

2 New Build - change to Out of Box - NIB's that got build but is still absolute shelf queens.

3 Restored - My "question" here is FROM what to WHAT??

4 Runner - Perhaps split - Sundays best - Sunday/special only runners

- Backyard Bashers - Everyday runners

5 Project - Good as is but car "must" be reclassified after Project finishes ? can restored and project be integrated.

6 Recent find - For how long does a find stays recent?? also reclass after ???? time

7 Other - OK no probs

Another class prehaps - Parts build - for cars build out of collected parts not from a kit

Hmm .... just some ideas!!

Jakes

logo_member2.gif

Of all the things I Lost - I miss my Mind the most

There are some tremendous ideas for extra categories here - but do we really need to have so many ??

The four or so originall "definitions" posted cover everything - the rest can be covered by owners of the cars in their their descriptions?? Or is that to much to ask??

I am just playing the devils advocate here guys !! webpagelink.JPG

I hate to throw a spanner in the works but can't we just throw out the recent find as each car listed has a date when it is put on anyway, and is also listed in the showroom updates, where and when you bought it can always be included in the description.

At least then the list to choose from won't be to longgggggggggg.icon_smile.gif

As for the modified's, if you have added a esc when originally it has a 3 step doesn't that automatically make it a modified?. as with ballraces etc... maybe a home made/ home improved/home hopped or something to that effect would be good icon_smile_question.gif

Is there any way you could make it so when putting in descriptions u select between 2 different formats? eg the basic one and then one which has a list for u to fill in, or with dropdowns eg

diff -- lightweight ball

ballraced -- fully

esc - LRP

Hopp ups -- carbon chassis etc.. etc..

Michael- crunchie carrots