Sign in to follow this  
ShowRide

Monster Beetle body painting ideas

Hi everyone,

I need some ideas for easy but nice painting schemes for a Monster Beetle body.

In fact I have 2 complete original plastic bodies which I have to (re)paint and one lexan. One of the original bodies will probably be painted yellow and original decals will be applied.

But for the second original body and for the lexan shell (which I'll use on my runner) I need some original, nice but easy painting schemes.

So if you have ideas or pictures of nicely painted bugs... please share them with me.

thanks in advance,

ShowRide

red bugs like on the box work well, cos of the red chassis i gess

and the yellow paint jobs look real nice too, matches the cvas [:P]

because the chassis is so exposed, i think if you pic up on any colour used on the chassis, or that goes with any colour on the chassis, then the scheme should work well,

the black monster beetles look nice, and the decals work well with black,

or maybe you could go for somthing bold like pink [8D] i dont think ive seen a pink one lol

hows bout red with black spots, like a ladybird, just picking up on the "bug" theme [:P]

you're right red, yellow and black are probably the best colors. I'm definitively going for a yellow one for display purposes.

For the runners I'm not sure yet.

cheers,

ShowRide

I had a yellow Monster beetle and wasn't too fond of it. How about Blue and gold?

img34_25032004223232_3.jpg

I set my Sand Scorcher body on my MB chassis and it looked really cool

Jim

I've got a great idea for a Monster Beetle body, but I'm going to do it on mine, and I want it to be unique, so I'm not telling you what it is [;)]

Shodog, I like blue but not gold. Maybe I'll do the Sand Scorcher scheme but in blue and white.

Jozza, I would certainly not copy your idea without asking first. But if you share it with us it could give us some inspiration...

cheers,

ShowRide

Don't mind it being copied, but I wanna do it first.... [;)]

Oh okay then - I thought of doing something based on a police car - there were some old Beetles done as police cars, and I was thinking to do something similar as it would be unusual (also gives me an excuse to put flashing LED lights on it, I like lights!)

I had a hunt around and found a few pics of genuine ones, like this one, I would probably base it on that but make it a bit more "cartoony"... Or there was this one which I quite liked, and this one.

There's some other ones like it too, I just did a Google images search (I often do that when in search of inspiration) for "beetle volkswagen police" and it came up with a few.

Try also looking for stuff like "beetle volkswagen custom"

Some others I quite liked the look of:-

http://www.ajhobby.com/images/beetle%20blu...-frim%20700.jpg

http://www.ajhobby.com/images/beetle%20gre...-frim%20700.jpg

(rubbish shells but I quite like the colour schemes)

http://members.rogers.com/volksrus/images/Leespen01.jpg

http://www.oldspeed.com/images/davecarside.jpg

Hi Jozza,

that's a great paiting scheme you have, I personally like the "City of Saint John" police car (the black and white) the most. Thanks for sharing it with us.

I'm starting to like to idea of a flames painting scheme more and more so maybe I'll go for that.

cheers,

ShowRide

I liked the Saint John one the best too, but would probably use blue lights for it, not sure really. I'll just make it up as I go along [;)]

I think some bold flames would look nice. I've just done a few touring car shells with flames, downloaded the templates for them from www.rcxotic.com and then based the designs on those.

That looks good, I was wondering where I could get the crests from, and the Parma ones look pretty neat. I think I might go for a mix between the old St John's car and another one I've found which is a Beverley Hills one (the arrangement of the black and white on the Beverley Hills look a bit better, and it's got more lights too)

Having said that, those Parma decals have given me another idea; a big yellow monster cab [:D]

Think I'll have to just wait till I've stripped the current paint off the body and then make my mind up, I would do both, but have you seen the prices of Monster Beetle bodies [:0]

quote:Originally posted by jozza

Having said that, those Parma decals have given me another idea; a big yellow monster cab [:D]

id="quote">id="quote">

Strange that,was thinking the exact same thing myself earlier for mine!

The yellow cab Beetle has been done before. I'm almost sure that I already noticed one when I was going through the Beetles in the Tamiyaclub showroom.

Aha, back to my original idea then [:D]. The MB shell is at this moment sitting in a bucket of brake fluid, almost stripped now (it had 6 thick paintjobs before I adopted it), a little body repair this week and it should be ready for spraying at the weekend...

quote:Originally posted by jozza

Aha, back to my original idea then [:D]. The MB shell is at this moment sitting in a bucket of brake fluid, almost stripped now (it had 6 thick paintjobs before I adopted it), a little body repair this week and it should be ready for spraying at the weekend...

id="quote">id="quote">

I'm going to strip one next weekend. I consider myself lucky because it has only a single layer of paint. I'm going to use Humbrol Modelstrip for the job. Never used it before so I'm very curious to see if it will work well.

That taxi beetle looks tops. I'm not too sure now whether I'll do the police scheme on the Monster or on the Blitzer, but I will definitely be doing it on one or t'other...

Hmmm, Modelstrip - bought a tub of this a few weeks back, couldn't wait to try it, slapped it on the Monster Beetle shell, left for 15 hours or so, washed it off, and voila! - nothing had changed [:(]. I think it was because the paint was automotive paint, and the Modelstrip is designed for stripping the acrylic and enamels, I've since tried it on the shell after the brake fluid got rid of 5 thick layers of paint and it worked fine.