Sign in to follow this  
Old Busted Hotness

Finally Bugging out (or rather in)

Yes, the planets aligned and I'm getting a Sand Scorcher. MikeT has graciously agreed to sell me his, which means I'll have no sleep at all until it crosses the pond and is in my hands.

I'm going to have a lot of fun with this [:D]

You know I had hope for you.  first you dabbled with the scornet now your going full blown.  You will be hopelessly sucked into the SRB society. I see at least three or four SRB's in your future

Congrats

jim

Cheers guys.

Jim, I'm way beyond hope. This will be my fourth Baja Bug build, but the first with a pedigree. I intend to do it up properly.

On that note, has anyone tackled the daunting task of correcting the Blitzer Beetle's fenders? Should be a fairly straightforward job with a bit of styrene, a bit of sanding, a bit more sanding...

Jeez Stu, going all out eh? It's not so simple i'm afraid, the SS ones have a little "bead" running around like some detailing work, cheaper option, buy a wrecked shell from ePay and take its fenders and put them on the BB.

Mike

Hey Stu welcome to the Bug Club. PS your motor mount is in the mail tomorrow. I'm stripping my shell atm with Eazy Off. This paint was painted thickly and I'll be updating pics after every time I use the stuff and clean it. I have a spare gear box that I'm going to mod for a hot motor. I have a few 12's and 16's laying around that might fit in nicely. Gonna be a real off roader aka breaks everytime you run it lol.

Welcome to the club. It pricey, addictive, and at times frustrating, but also some of the most fun you'll have with this hobby. Congrats.

MikeT...No more SRB for you, huh?

I'm starting to wonder if I'm the only one who did a scorcher and managed to successfully get the nostalgia out of my system?

MikeT...No more SRB for you, huh?

Not at the moment, don't worry, i'll be after another in time :)

Stu, you did an amazing job on the arches!

Cheers guys, thanks for the kind words.

I've got quite the pile of parts now, just waiting on the postman!

I've got a pile of parts, i'm also waiting on postie too!

Just to inform the TC Guys, i had stripped the PINK anodising from my chassis, and OBH Said

" No more pink then :P "

So i'm **** sure he's painted the SS in Hot Pink!

Only in that red and white together make pink [H] This is before cleanup, clearcoat and details, so be gentle.

mvc003stz8.jpg

That's two coats of X-27 Clear Red over parts-store iron grey, with TS-26 Pure White. The nose is still in the post.

That beep-beep-beep sound you hear is me backing up to do it all over again. The TS-13 clear attacked the X-27 clear red and made it run off the sides, pooling up on the running boards. This is after the clear red had dried overnight (maybe not enough dry time?) so sod it, some Easy-Off, a lot of sanding and I'm back to square one, this time with the automotive paints I'm familiar with.

The real heartbreak is, it looked soooo good for about 2 minutes.

If you read on the paint page of a Tamiya catalogue, it says you can overpaint laquers (TS) with acrylics or enamels (X) but not the opposite, shame you didn't ask before here... [:(]

Cheers

too bad that happened to you.. next try take your time. let the paint dry in between layers. i made a thick layer with small runs on my project because i was impatient.

had to do it again.. this threw me way behind schedule.

a good paintjob can take week or even more.. im not trying to be a wise guy but i too learned the hard way.

moosey has a nice painting guide on his site.. he did a very impressive job on a mounty.

good luck with the oven cleaner , i found ts paints very stubbern to strip.

cheers ferdinand

p.s. fix it till its broke  [:D]

I like the finish of the Tamiya paints, but they're by far the most finicky I've worked with. What I don't understand is how something so noxious can take so long to dry. Automotive lacquers are dry by the time you put the top back on the can, and smell better.

I've got another coat of primer on now (after sanding for 3 hours), and contemplating the new scheme. My attitude towards red and white has cooled considerably.

how about a pic after sanding ... i hate sanding , just in case i didnt say it before.

cheers ferdinand

tamiya paints need 3 times the effort and time of others

they look good in the end, but only if you really do the best prep that you can, sand wait as much as possible between coats/layers

I gave up on tamiya clear, go with testors for a better end result. Testors won't bleed the lines.

Testors is easy to shoot, but it sure likes to yellow. And I'd like the white to stay white. I'll give it a shot of automotive clear and do the high gloss with Future, after the decals go on.

I like the finish of the Tamiya paints, but they're by far the most finicky I've worked with. What I don't understand is how something so noxious can take so long to dry. Automotive lacquers are dry by the time you put the top back on the can, and smell better.

As I wrote above the problem was not the drying but that you painted a laquer over an acrylic which Tamiya sais not too as it attacks it.

Testors is easy to shoot, but it sure

likes to yellow. And I'd like the white to stay white. I'll give it a

shot of automotive clear and do the high gloss with Future, after the

decals go on.

Exactly, testors clear yellows even in a place without direct sunlight [:(]. Better use for all layers paints of the same type, this way you won't have reactions and problems as before. If you insist mixing different types, test it for some days on a test piece. Tamiya paints need 2-4 thin layers as they run easier, but are worth the extra effort as they give the best finish.

Cheers

I'm having so much fun painting this body, I've decided to do it twice [;)] Here's the red automotive paint. I'll pick up some white on the way to work, and decide on a scheme in the slack time there.

mvc004sue2.jpg

Tamiya's white isn't very opaque. I'll hit it with some Dupli-Color (after a shot of primer) and we'll call it done. While this red is far plainer than before, at least it will stay put.

But I really like my wheel arches [:D]