Sign in to follow this  
Birdy

Blitzer body Baja conversion.. let me see what you did

With great interest i followed the threads of MikeT , Volksrod and others who modified the beetle body. i wanted to post my progress on the beetle shell and maybe get some new ideas from you..

mike already showed a way of having a flat hood on the beetle body, so did volksrod.

but

my idea was not cut the body since it would somewhat weaken the the

whole frontsection. instead i cut out four pieces of thin ABS which i

glued to the bonnet. since the hood is quite curvy it took some major

sanding.. there are still very tiny gaps that will need some filler to

get perfectly smooth.

the sunroof section is now finished. also done with a piece of white ABS.

also im thinking of a different shaped rear window e.g. Brezelbug. I dont know how its called in english

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/4509/hood1ba3.jpg

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/1884/hood3yz6.jpg

the front nose cone "blitzer one" is currently also undergoing some changes

pics will follow..

cheers birdy

the hood section is now almost ready for primer.. the nose cone was modified with abs inserts to cover the "cutout" section near the shocktowers.http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/1271/nose1qw1.jpg

now the the fenders will be next..and the rear window.

i think this will be the hardest part ..

ideas are welcome

cheers birdy

the hood is done ..nice and smooth.

now doing the rear window mod. http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/1606/hood4ml9.jpg

hope its going work out as good as the front section..

cheers Ferdinand

yes [:)] good point !

i think i will use the holes on the side to mount the body.. i need the clip for a genuine scorcher shelfer anyway. im going to build a sandwich type of chassis to make it stiffer as this is going to be a runner. not sure about the rear window yet..

maybe just a hoodscoop for the mighty high performance 540 motor [:D]..

If "Brezelbug" Means " Splittie "

IE:

9362056.jpg

as opposed to the SS Shell;

IE:

istockphoto_581039_old_beetle_rear_view_with_path.jpg

Then he * SHOULD * Be able to get a finder or two at the rear clip, but maybe i'm wrong in my figuring of what "brezelbug" means?

If i am, disregard this entiiiire post ;)

BTW, THANKS, although i did get the idea from Volksrod.

Also, for the front, i would fill the Blitzer nose cone lights with filler ( just put a huge wad in there, and then contour it to the shape of the nose with some wet 600s wet and dry paper )

Then extend the arches down at the front and curve them and make them meat the nose piece.

Like this wide%20eye%20ss.jpg

THIS IS THE SAND SCORCHER OF MrB OVER AT SCALE 4x4 RC. NOT MINE. BUT I BELIEVE THIS IS A GREAT WAY TO DO THIS MOD!

Mike.

hi mike, this is exactly what i was thinking of. splittie window.. thanks.

i like the retro look of that window..

cheers ferdinand

Mine wasn't a Baja, but I deseamed the roof, filled in the sunroof, door handle recesses, front license palte area (not so good) and filled the join between the main shell and the nose (and hacked the wings up a bit)

700VW011.jpg

700VW009.jpg

One thing that really helps get a nice smooth 'already like it' look is a couple of sanding blocks (abrasive foam)

All the curved bits that aren't stock on the shell were done with one - never unboxed the dremel once [:D]

700VW025.jpg

1st pic was taken at the begining of Aug.

2nd pic shows the hood/bonnet humps i've seen on a lot of Baja's.

i see some nice ideas.. [:D] by the way do you guys use automotive filler ?

the white putty stuff takes aweful long time to dry !!

here is a  pic of what i had in mind for the rear window , just a rough drawing though

what do you think ?

http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/2310/rearzj5.jpg

cheers ferdinand

i see some nice ideas.. [:D] by the way do you guys use automotive filler ?

the white putty stuff takes aweful long time to dry !!

I used Squadron white filler on mine, you ca scrape it down in 10 minutes, and sand it in 20 if you don't put it on too thick

Wear gloves though, it's a beeyotch to get off your hands

Hmm, maybe it's just me? How wide are everyones fingers? you only need 2 to unclip the shell?

I suppose I could shut my flapper until I get my Scorcher, huh? [:$] I plan to correct a Blitzer body by adding the material back onto the wings, making it back into a Scorcher. That bit should be easy compared to getting my sausage fingers in the window.

Never mind the baja diff's WHAT about the poor driver?? as with most Baja's there's NO screen so how's he supposed to see where he's going with all that dust/rubbish in his eye's....

Well here's my answer....

you are right about that. [:D] proper eye protection is a serious issue too..

but if i implement all those nice ideas in my project it will never get done..[:(]

but this looks like a must have to me..

cheers ferdinand

p.s. my arm hurts from hours of sanding the rear window section.... i hate sanding

its boring and time consuming.

That's excellent :) I was toying with the idea of a pair of shades for my driver, but I don't have a complete scorcher yet!

There's some brilliant photo's in this thread, it's making me very envious and impatient!

Can't wait to start creating :)

Pete

after endless sanding i applied primer to see if there are any gaps left..

as you can see there are [:'(][:S]

the rear looks if somewhat bent where the window was.

so i have to remove the primer, glue another plastic sheet on top. use automotive filler..and guess what, sand it down again.

have you ever been to a point at which you regret you started something like this.. i do now..

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/5345/filledlr3.jpg

sorry the pic is blurry as my cam isnt a good one..

cheers ferdinand

might call it sanding scorcher.. im fed up now will continue in a couple of days

Probably wise to give it a rest for a bit if you're feeling like that, then in a couple days, pick it up and admire the grand job you've done at the front and the sunroof and start again on the rear :)

It'll be cracking when you're done though :)

Pete

Ouch, i felt like stamping on my facelift body a few time too!

BTW- You can see the front bonnet dimples in that last pic too!

I suggest you don't use the putty for these works. The putty has two problems:

1 - is softer than plastic so when you sand your work probably you will remove more putty than plastic leaving holes and grooves.

2 - the putty dry always. So for how many time you wait it will reduce ever it's quantity and dimension. You will prime it, you will paint it and everythink is ok. After some month there will be grooves and holes under your paint.

I use cyanoacrilic glue to fill the grooves. It's faster and the dry glue is harder than plastic. It's easier to work. Believe me, don't use the putty.

Wow! mr B's wide eyed shell looks awsome, ita always bothered me that the scorcher/monster/blitzer shells are the narrow head lamp type, i am building a 1/1 baja and unless you use a very early bug then its illeagal to have the headlamps that close together in the UK. Might have to set to and mod my own rc baja shell in this way, very impressed.

It'll be cracking when you're done though ;)

Oh, please don't say cracking....

Here's the first stage of my wing-reprofiling effort.

mvc039sld8.jpg

and the second stage. Not perfect, but they'll do.

mvc040scp9.jpg

Wow! mr B's wide eyed shell looks awsome, ita always bothered me that the scorcher/monster/blitzer shells are the narrow head lamp type, i am building a 1/1 baja and unless you use a very early bug then its illeagal to have the headlamps that close together in the UK. Might have to set to and mod my own rc baja shell in this way, very impressed.

Most 1/1 Bajas anyway are driven only on races and have dozens of other things that would make them not possible for road admission, at least in most countries (missing windscreen, high exhaust on the rear, open motor etc)

Cheers