Sign in to follow this  
Supershot

Cleaning the commutator

Hello!

What is the best way to clean a motor's comm?Can you please give me general info on cleaning the comm as well as how many times I should do it?

Also is it dangerous to run the motor if the comm is very dirty?(I have a modified proton motor!)

THANX!

For a quick clean, I use a pencil eraser, but the only way to really clean a comm is with a lathe using a process known as truing. Your LHS should be able to do this for you if they're into electric racing.

- James

If you let your motor commutator get too dirty it will start pitting the comm. This is when the comm goes a weird shape "concave" and this takes huge amounts of power away from the motor. I usually cut the comm on my stock motors for racing every 6 runs or so, this keeps them in almost perfect shape. Also always change yor brushes after cutting the comm, otherwise again you will lose valuable power.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

James

:)

There is a product called a 'motor stick' which is basically an eraser like thing. As has been previously mentioned an eraser will also work well. Best thing is to have the comm trued up on a lathe though. The other points are also true. Replace the brushes after a trueing. Not a bad idea to replace them after a good cleaning either.

Since I haven't done much boat racing I hardly use my comm lathe these days with all the sealed can motors I run. (and no my lathe is not for sale!) [8D]

Any decent LHS like Metro or Hobby Place should be able to

arrange to lathe your comm for you for a small fee.