Sign in to follow this  
retromodeller

Hilux / Blazer rear Bumpers

These were pressed steel and chrome plated like the originals . I had a couple of them and they were very convincing . I think he had them especially made and at that time supply outstripped demand as he could'nt sell them for £5.00 each on the bay . I lost  his contact details due to a computer crash .  He also produced a ballraced  leak free  conversion for the 3 speed Hilux/Blazer gearbox.

Is this the tranmission you were speaking of?

Let me know if you can get a reply from him -Personally I'd love to have one of these conversions done on my Bruiser tranny.

-Steve

-Steve

Steve, I don't think anyone has been able to contact this guy.  I tried to contact him long ago to have this done to mine and never got a reply.

Jim

Steve/Jim,

If you are into masochism you might tear apart the tranny yourself and

try "treasure-keepers" on Ebay for necessary parts. I bought a full set

of Hi-Lux tranny gaskets (I would think they should also work for the

Bruiser) for approx. $30 w/shipping and a set of bearings for the

tranny for $26 w/shipping. They stated this wasn't all the bearings (as

a few are nearly impossible to remove without appropriate machine

tools) but the hard-to-find "flange bearings" are included. Their

communication and shipping for me on three different orders was nothing

short of excellent. One of the best people I've met on Ebay.

Found Kope's excellent PDF instructions again of a complete tranny tear-down (thanks Steve).

Here:  http://www.kope.com/bruiser/index.html Click "Tech", scroll down to "Transmission Service Manual, in pdf format! (2.9MB)", click again (need Acrobat Reader).

(I apologize retromodeller for hijacking the thread, I'm done[:)])

best,

IMG_2235.JPG

post-4-1158149520.jpg

Thats the guy !!!  I'll see if I can contact him but I had the same problem with him not replying to e-mails just before my computer crashed . He use to have some great Hilux bumpers and I wish I had bought another 2 or 3 off him . Blazerfrazer knew him so I might try and contact him through Fraser .

John

-Steve

Steve, I don't think anyone has been able to contact this guy.  I tried to contact him long ago to have this done to mine and never got a reply.

Jim

Yeah, I guess I'm a bit 'obsessive' about it -- I've probably emailed him more times than I'd like to admit [:$] Maybe it's time I start shopping for this locally.  Really, it's a pretty straight forward machining procedure, I just don't happen to know any machinists with access to that kind of equipment.  (I did talk to a machine shop owner here in Oaklnd, and he quoted me $90 just to turn his mill on.[:S] )

-Steve

Really, it's a pretty straight forward machining procedure, I just don't happen to know any machinists with access to that kind of equipment.  (I did talk to a machine shop owner here in Oaklnd, and he quoted me $90 just to turn his mill on.[:S] )

-Steve

Steve, my neighbor has a mill and he would be up do doing a little side work.  I know it would cheaper than 90 to do the milling.

Hmmm....

Jim, I'd be interested if your neighbor thinks he's up to it.

I just looked over the details again and I see there are a few key dimensions omitted, so some trial and error might be needed for those output shaft seals. (Look similar to 1:1 valve guide seals[^o)] ?)  Also, I'm curious as to which bearings he went with, and subsequently how much material was removed from the gears.  Lol - otherwise 'it's a pretty straight forward procedure.' [:|]

-Steve

( ( ( (  ( ( ( ((((((((((((((((  Shodog? ))))))))))))) ) ) )  )  )  ) ) ) )