DeeMiller

Building my Hummer (lots of pics, beware dailers!)

I would never be able to actually put a pack in it and make it move, I'd just turn off the lights power it up, and look at it. Amazing work.

I´ll have to admit it too.... I´M WATCHING!

You really inspire, showing all possible ways to go. The nice thing is that your using an "relatively" ordinary Tamiya kit, and inexpensive materials.
I sure will adopt technics for my cars, already bought some raw material to "keep handy".

And of course you are going to run it - carefully...It´s a tamiya RC car isn´t it?! - Think about how amazing it will look, even in the dark! I envy you!

Regards
Stig

Gents, thx for all the nice comments.[:D]

You may have noticed that progress is slow (due to the other world[A]) 

Right now I'm working on the seats and roll-bar for the interiour.

Still waiting for the latex to make molds of the driver...

More pics on friday.

Grtz Dee.

Wow congratulations on making such a great car Dee. It looks awesome. The little touches and all the details make this incredible. I'm seriously in awe of your talent.

Thx Doc![;)]

Ok, as promised: the next batch (yeah, yeah, it's been too long...I know...sorry).

PICT0233.jpg

The shell of the seats (alu).

PICT0234.jpg

2mm foam.

PICT0235.jpg

Assembled and I added some "recaro" decals.

PICT0236.jpg

Back view.

PICT0237.jpg

Front view with the roll bar (styrene).

I bended the bars over a candle.

PICT0238.jpg

Finally the liquid latex has arrived.

PICT0239.jpg

I have started with the molding of the driver (same for the arms).

I have enough heads so no need to copy them.

Next friday will be the next update as thing go slow at this time.

Also the body needs a great deal of attention to get it right.[:@]

I'm almost at a point that I just skip it and move on to the spraying...

Have a nice weekend gents![<:o)]

Grtz Dee.

Well, I was hoping like the rest of the followers of the post for some more updates. One day is a long time to wait let alone a week. I guess since you have so many posts, I am not easily finding the original post for RAISING the ride height 5 mm and also any other mods. I am FINALLY building my chassis to go under a FJ40 body like Wyoming did. I would like to rais the ride height if it is easy to go back and forth between the stock setting and the RAISED setting so that when I fit the body, I can choose what looks best. I am not in possesion of the body right now as I have it out for painting, but it is made for actually a 1/8 scale monster truck and not the TA02 chassis and that is why I am wanting any options to change the chassis.

Thanks for the forthcoming updates and I hope to finish my project in time for New Year's Eve.

Well, I was hoping like the rest of the followers of the post for some more updates. One day is a long time to wait let alone a week. I guess since you have so many posts, I am not easily finding the original post for RAISING the ride height 5 mm and also any other mods. I am FINALLY building my chassis to go under a FJ40 body like Wyoming did. I would like to rais the ride height if it is easy to go back and forth between the stock setting and the RAISED setting so that when I fit the body, I can choose what looks best. I am not in possesion of the body right now as I have it out for painting, but it is made for actually a 1/8 scale monster truck and not the TA02 chassis and that is why I am wanting any options to change the chassis.

Thanks for the forthcoming updates and I hope to finish my project in time for New Year's Eve.

I don't update when I add another layer of putty or latex, that's why.[;)]

It has to be done but it's not interesting.

Besides, "normal" life needs attention too, if you know what I mean...[:S]

You can raise the ride height by adding longer shocks or replace the part D16 (page 9 o/t manual) by a 1mm O-ring (and adjust spring setting).

Another way is to bolt on a longer shock-end (the piece on the bottom where the bolt gets through).

I think 5-6mm is maximum because of the dogbones (axles).

Grtz Dee. 

Guest joelvardy

Normal life....... What is that???   I thought the only world was here

Good thing you're keeping the interiour simple... You know, because of the smoked windows :P

I actually have this thread bookmarked on my desktop, so I don't lose it... Great work Dee - keep it up!

So this is what you've been upto while I've been away Dee! I'm simply astounded [:o] the work on this thing is just awesome!!! Top work and looking forward to seeing it done. Great WIP thread too.

I'm really glad you like it![:D]

What's "WIP"?

Grtz Dee.

PS I'm still on it although I have posted some other topics too...so don't worry.

What's "WIP"?

Work In progress.

Still following the thread and enjoy every update.

Dee, you saved me some time. I had just stopped prior to filling and fitting the shocks, so your reply came in good time. I just finished the chassis build. I have sprayed the wheels WHITE PS1 and have to let those dry for a month before I think they can accept the tires without "flaking and smearing" I dread the humidity here in Houston for that very reason, can't get paint to dry in a short time. I have to get to my showroom and post some photos of the WIP.[:D]

Dee, you saved me some time. I had just stopped prior to filling and fitting the shocks, so your reply came in good time. I just finished the chassis build. I have sprayed the wheels WHITE PS1 and have to let those dry for a month before I think they can accept the tires without "flaking and smearing" I dread the humidity here in Houston for that very reason, can't get paint to dry in a short time. I have to get to my showroom and post some photos of the WIP.[:D]

If you scrape off the paint on the inside of the wheels, you can glue just the inside.

Works the same as glueing them on both sides...

Grtz Dee.

.........I have sprayed the wheels..... and have to let those dry for a month before I think they can accept the tires without "flaking and smearing" I dread the humidity here in Houston for that very reason, can't get paint to dry in a short time............[:D]

Try putting your painted items in the boiler/hot water tank, that's what I do, things dry sooooo quick in there.

By the way DeeMillar, I've been watching this thread since day one, and I have to say.... WOW! it's absolutely fantastic, I'm working on a Hummer as well, though I won't be doing a wip thread, I shall just post here when completed. If you don't mind, I'd like to "borrow" some of your idea's???????

Its just like the soaps were all waiting to see what has happend since the last update

nice work Dee but if thats a simple intiriour i would hate to see a complicated one

Pete

By the way DeeMillar, I've been watching this thread since day one, and I have to say.... WOW! it's absolutely fantastic, I'm working on a Hummer as well, though I won't be doing a wip thread, I shall just post here when completed. If you don't mind, I'd like to "borrow" some of your idea's???????

Well sg_two, the ideas are there to be used, so go ahead!

I wouldn't recommend putting rims in hot water...a round wheel runs better than a dried one.[;)]

Grtz Dee.

Well guys, the paint has dried a bit, didn't soak it in water. I had a person tell me to heat the old toaster oven up to LOW, let it kick off,then wait until the thermometer says about 100 and then pop them in while it cools off. I don't think the wife would like that much and well I would be afraid then of WARPED wheels.

Anybody ever tried this trick to dry paint???? Pics coming soon.

Hi Crash Cramer,

simply wait. Or use an hairdryer. Anyway it will dry the external surface of the paint. Inner will dry with time. Paint needs time to dry. Put the wheels in a ventilated hot place, maybe a radiator in your home is a good place (if you live in NY), under the sun is also good (if you live in LA) and wait.

Max 

hi one thing i have never gotten my head around fully is ratios in my dark impact i am running a super stock rz 23 turn what would be the pest pinion and spur gear combination i have the 23 25 27 or 29 pinion hop up packs to choose from thanks.

I don't know if this is the area to post about the Dark Impact as I don't think the gears and gearing is the same as the TA01. BUT.....on a similar note, I used my radar gun yesterday to clock my chassis at 12 MPH with the 16 tooth pinion and BOX STOCK motor in it. I am afraid that will be TOOOOO FAST for the intended use of this truck.

I don't think it's the right area either... That's my 2 cents.. Does this post make item entry number 200?

Dee... 3 words... You The Man!!

Cheers chaps!