Sign in to follow this  
DJTheo

Tamiya Porsche 934 is coming back!!!

Only two questions Dee. Why do you collect Tamiya models ? Why do you like Tamiya models ?

When i hear your to your words, it´s only to own a "highly collectable", highly priced "original" thing. [+o(]

I love the cars in my collection, original or re-release. I´m a real fan of this company  and happy about every new and re-release.

And I like the Tamiya philosophy and look of their products.

Just my 2 cents

Cheers 

Only two questions Dee. Why do you collect Tamiya models ? Why do you like Tamiya models ?

When i hear your to your words, it´s only to own a "highly collectable", highly priced "original" car. [+o(]

I love the cars in my collection, original or re-release. I´m a real fan and happy about every new and re-release.

Just my 2 cents

Cheers 

No problem.

I don't know why I'm doing this but I'll give it a shot anyhow:

Q1: I like them out of nostalgica, I have a bond with them and now I can buy them to treasure them, see what they are like IRL instead of watching them in a catalogue in those days when I hadn't any money to buy them.

Q2: They stand out, they have something that can't be explained, it's called a virus, there's no cure, it gets to you, I guess...

Also, in general, I like to hunt for (rare) parts, negotiating about parts/cars, meeting people with the same interest, discuss issues on forums, having something that no-one else has, adding a few more days to my monthly income...

I'm sure you'll recognise some of them.

Maybe I'm in it for the money if that's were you are after...well, what's the last time I sold a complete car?

I can't remember.

LOL! [:D] The only thing I wanted to know is how you guys think about the re-released W-parts!

I can recall the joke Chris made with the re-re SS...I know a lot of people were not amused, go figure.

The only thing I don't understand is: why can't I have an opinion without that opinion being discussed?

Is it really that different? Or is it the way I present it?

It's just a personal thing and it seems I have to discuss that instead of getting response to my actual questions.

But I'll try to do it the best way I can.[;)]

I hope this clarifies it.[;)]

Dee.

I'm with you Dee.

Over the years I've seen parts reproduced I paid top Dollar for. Part of the joy of collecting vintage Tamiya is the fact that you have something special. Valuable yes, but mostly SPECIAL. Something not eveybody has. I know it's not fair that people with more money can buy things other can't but same goes for all things in life. The fact that now everybody can buy those "special" parts or cars ******** me off. That's also why I don't like re-re's at all. I know it sounds selfish but that is how collecting works (for most people).

For the same reason I don't like repro decals and repro exhausts and anything else repro. All for the same reason. badword, there are now more "original" blacks bumpers for sale then gray ones. The people that make the black dye must be having a good year [;)

I have a original 934 with all original parts and it's not nice the frame is now being reprocuded. Is it actually Dee? I never saw any confirmation in this thread...

Anyway, I bought two NIB 934 that came in yesterday. Gonna build one so still have something most people won't have [:P]

Another thing about reproductions; you ever noticed the re-re SS wheels have a different color? The new ones are from this cheap looking very white plastic. The old ones are a bit more cream color, not really very white and they also feel softer. So I still have something special (although hard to see).

I have a original 934 with all original parts and it's not nice the frame is now being reprocuded. Is it actually Dee? I never saw any confirmation in this thread...

Thx Pointy.

If there's no confirmation, it's just doesn't excist.

Never heard of the reproduced 934/935 frame, where did you read that?

Nice info about the SS-wheels, I noticed that too but thought it had something to do with age (yellowing).

The only way to tell is when they're still on the sprue, re-res have a number (580016/0984069), originals have text (something like "1/10 RC VW Buggy")

The original NIB tires are recognisable by the white molding powder, the re-res don't have (that much) powder.

Dee

Meanwhile.... back in 'On Topic Land' ...

The GT01 Tamtech 934 was supposed to be released 23/12/06 - i.e. yesterday. Other than the 3 kits I've heard of that Jason sold on here and 1 stupid one linked above for silly money, where are all the kits??

I have my money waiting, and Stella has not replied to my post about when he is getting some in. [:(]

[8] All I want for Christmas is my 9..3..4, my 9..3..4, my 9..3..4  [8]

Now that's the Christmas spirit!

(Now you can stop singing that song!)

I grabbed one of the 20 or so that Jason listed.  I am so happy![<:o)]

I eventually pick up a anniversary kit when one comes my way, but for now I think I'll be satisfied with the Tamtech.

Does anyone know if they are planning to do the Jager decal set? [H]

The original NIB tires are recognisable by the white molding powder, the re-res don't have (that much) powder.

Dee

Are you sure about that?

If that's the case, I have a pair of Imex tires here that apparently 'spontaneously powdered themselves:

th_IMG_6544.jpgth_IMG_6546.jpg

The white powder might just be a precipitate left behind as the volatiles leave the rubber.[8-|]

-Steve 

Are you sure about that?

If that's the case, I have a pair of Imex tires here that apparently 'spontaneously powdered themselves:

th_IMG_6544.jpgth_IMG_6546.jpg
 The white powder might just be a precipitate left behind as the volatiles leave the rubber.[8-|]

-Steve 

Yup, pretty positive on that as I have both versions.

The powder is used to prevent "stickyness" after they leave the mold.

I don't think the volatiles have anything to do with that as vulcanisation (heat) would force any volatiles leave the rubber before they get powdered.

I have no explanation for your tires though...wierd, never seen such thing before so it could well be, who knows?

Sorry for going off topic.

Dee.

Dee was reffering to Tamiya tires, Imex might still be using alot of the release powder, but Tamiya has reduced it, still nothing that can't be cheated easily...

Cheers 

I disagree.

Imex may use a lot of release powder, but these tires I pictured above were clean when I put them away.

I can't prove it, but I'm pretty sure that the powder develops with age.

As for the volatiles leaving the tires during the vucanization process -- Disagree here too.

How can you explain that terrific tire small that last for years after the tire is made?  Isn't that a volatile?

Surely someone can back me on this - tires turn white with age, right? [^o)]

I have no reasonable explanation for it (mainly because you say they were clean when you put them away).

I don't think the volatiles are responsible for that, maybe the humidity or other storage conditions, I really have no idea.

Here's a pic of the SS-wheels I was refering to.

SStires.jpg

The left is the original one, the right one is the re-re.

Indeed, as Theo said, it can easily be cheated by putting chalk powder on the re-res.

Dee.

Thought of something else: the powder was there all the time but when aging, moisture (or indeed volatiles) may evaporize so the actual powder becomes more and more visible in time.

Can't think of anything else that sounds reasonable.

Dee.

Right, kinda like cyano glue forms a precipitate on your styrene windows.

I put these tires in a sealed 'zip-loc' bag about 10 months ago and this is how they came out.  I can't explain it either, by I'd take a guess and say the sealed bag probably had something to do with it ? [:^)] 

-Steve 

I think you killed the tires as normal people would turn white too when they're out of fresh air.

The white stuff you mentioned with cyano glue is the natural grease from your hands on the plastic that reacts with the fumes of the CA.

A perfect way to picture fingerprints.

Dee.

Hi pete,

I had two..iv'e sold one but you can have the other for £80? if its any good to you....and there's no postage as im only down the road!!

Cheers simon email me at simonlanc@aol.com if your interested

Thanks Simon - Stella got back to me, and I am actually wanting 2 x kits and have a load of other bits in my basket at Stella ready for when he gets them (so I can combine shipping). If I get no joy through HK (got to love that £/$ rate!) very soon, I'm keen to take you up on the kind offer.

I tried to avoid this thread too long I remember as as a kid my neighbor friend had one of these it was his fathers it was too cool...now i cant even find one. oh well....

Just read on ebay one seller who lists the new TamTech-Gear 934 as "It is very rare item" with bin at 400$. Well, very rare item...hmmm...

Just read on ebay one seller who lists the new TamTech-Gear 934 as "It is very rare item" with bin at 400$. Well, very rare item...hmmm...

it is pretty crazy, but I was able to order mine from a japan company it was only 112 shipped LOL...I seen them on ebay for 200 all the way up to 400 the tamtech ones and yes they were sold fast......

I think people who didn't get hold of the anni 934 kit buy the TTG 934 instead (or ratner due to the high price of the anni 934 kit buy the cheaper TTG 934 instead).

Price will settle down in a few months so be patient.

It's a hype after all.

Clever marketing...not from Tamiya but from sellers at eBay.

Look at the price of the F350 Hi Lifts.

Dee.

I think people who didn't get hold of the anni 934 kit buy the TTG 934 instead (or ratner due to the high price of the anni 934 kit buy the cheaper TTG 934 instead).

Price will settle down in a few months so be patient.

It's a hype after all.

Clever marketing...not from Tamiya but from sellers at eBay.

Look at the price of the F350 Hi Lifts.

Dee.

Dee.

DEE,

you think so?  I think the high lifts are still the same price they were when released vs now.  there was some auctions asking for 1000 dollars, but those didnt sell i remember.  Well at least I got my two anniversary porsches coming in from RC champ...I emailed them and they told me 4 people put pre orders on them and didnt buy them when came in, but then two were sold in their store so they had two left after my first email so I told them i will take both......

there was some auctions asking for 1000 dollars, but those didnt sell i remember.  ......

Correct, that's my point.

They don't sell for that amount (anymore), the hype is over.

I've seen Hi-Lifts go for less than €350,-...(they were around €450,- to €500,-).

It may have been the case that people want the anni 934 kit or (severall) TTGs instead, rather than the Hi-Lift.

I think the same will happen to the TTG 934s as they are not "limited" (like the Hi-Lift).

When new models are released, "old" unlimited models usually drop in price.

You'll see.

Dee.

Even the limited kits, like the anniversary 934, drop their price when the first hype and availabilty wave is over, the first weeks the 49400 was in ebay around $1000 and now it averages around $600.

Cheers 

Even the limited kits, like the anniversary 934, drop their price when the first hype and availabilty wave is over, the first weeks the 49400 was in ebay around $1000 and now it averages around $600.

Cheers 

DEE AND THEO,

all I see what your saying theo about the 934, but wouldnt you say after some folks find out they cant get the 934 anymore they will pay later LOL...