Sign in to follow this  
-CTN-

OMG an other noob to the forums

Hello all.

I'm Christian and into Tamiya for about 15 Years now.

Because of the really awful hobbyshops and non existing clubscene where I live my knowledge of RCing isn't that great.

(Especially when it comes to ESCs, Gearing and Paintjobs - so be prepared for some questions)

The cars I'm currently working on are:

Lancia Rally (new version) Body/Paintjob

F103 Lotus

Top Force

Ford Focus (tl - what an awful chassis) Paintjob

My first question:

From which side do you paint the wing of the Top Force (my other buggys are a Manta Ray and a Bear Hawk) the racer wings are new to me.

Hi 'n' welcome, i now avoid painting wings.

Not long ago i painted my Dark Impact's wing, well chuffed with the result (painted on top btw).  I rolled the car and paint just flaked off, ****.

[fig1]

IMHO i would'nt paint, leave clear slip some nice decals on.

If your going to shelf your model and not use of course paint it (can you resist the temptation to run it, if it was a shelf queen though) [;)]

post-3-1159456620.jpg

Thank you for your reply but the Top Force will become a "shelf queen" as i don't run my cars too often.

From your pic i can see that you paintet the wing from the outside (top) am i right?

I want a glossy finish so i have to paint from the underside, right?

but from wich side do i paint the sideflaps? How do you guys mask it?

I painted my Top Force wing on the underside so most of it has a better glossy effect. The outer wings I painted on the outside, as there are decals covering over 50% of it,and the inside is glossy to match the main wing

I paint the wing-mainpart from the bottom (most time you´ll see the top

of the wing), while I paint the wing-sidepanels from the inside (when

you look at the car from the side, you´ll see the "nicer" side of the

side-panel (did I say "side" ;-) ?)

For a runner, I also would let it unpainted - the wing of a buggy is

one of the most stressed parts, so it wouldn´t be worth the colour.....

If you paint it carefully with good lexan paints it doesn't flake, my Dyna Storm wing has endless stress marks by now but paint is still all there (Tamiya PS, sides painted from outside. i.e. same side like the rest)

img16_02052004194858_1_75.jpg

Cheers

I painted my Top Force wing on the underside, and on the outside of the side panels, for the same reason above - the decals cover most of the visible painted area when the car is on the ground in this case.

If you go for the Tamiya PS metallic green, go slow with it and use lots of light coats. The paint will be very durable, and even the exposed painted bits on the sides of the wings will look great (sort of a satin finish).

- James

Thank you for all your replys and the advice with the paint.

The car will be boxart and more a display piece than a runner. (It's nearly impossible to get now)

I will paint the Wing from the underside and the sides from the inside - i have to get used to masking tape ;)

@ DJTheo now you made me want a Dyna Storm, too. 

Thank you for your reply but the Top Force will become a "shelf queen" as i don't run my cars too often.

From your pic i can see that you paintet the wing from the outside (top) am i right?

I want a glossy finish so i have to paint from the underside, right?

but from wich side do i paint the sideflaps? How do you guys mask it?

No, i sprayed mine from the top as you look at piccy.  I think i may have put too many black backing coats on the wing, this is why it cracked, (plus it took a right tumble on gravel).

I do agree if your shelving your top force and you want a gloss finish, spray/paint from underneath.

Mmmm, sideflaps i would leave clear select a suitable sized decal.

Christian - you should definitely try and get hold of a Dyna Storm if you can - they are bags of fun!

trinity2gj9.th.jpg

I just wanted to show you the result.

Unfortunatly i messed up the decals quite a lot ;)