djmcnz

Top Force (Evolution & Beyond) Build Chronicles

I've read that plastic arms often break. You can use a Servo Saver.

Did Tamiya produce original alloy knuckles (front and rear)? I bought original Tamiya alloy C-Hubs (OP226) but I didn't know that Tamiya produced alloy knuckles. Do you have any part numbers?

I've read that plastic arms often break. You can use a Servo Saver.

Did Tamiya produce original alloy knuckles (front and rear)? I bought original Tamiya alloy C-Hubs (OP226) but I didn't know that Tamiya produced alloy knuckles. Do you have any part numbers?

TA01 steering knuckles. TA01/02 rear knuckles. Not sure actually if Tamiya did make them. Someone like Antony (europro975) or Terry will know the answer to this. I've always bought the GPM ones and these work a treat. The plastic steering knuckles split in the kingpin and the hole for the ball screw tears off (even when using a servo saver). Alloy solves these 2 problems. After a hard run bearings do get warm and transfer the heat to the plastic knuckles making them soft and you get wobbly wheels, another thing alloy knuckles solves.

Alloy lower arms are a purely bling item. It will transfer all of the forces in a crash to the hinge pin/gearbox base. If you have an alloy front gearbox base (recommended) it moves the forces to the front of the tub and it breaks there. On a runner I wouldn't use alloy lower arm myself. I'd rather have a 'weak spot' in the plastic arm to tear away first so as to not damage anything else. I've never had one of the plastic DF01 arms tear out, they are pretty flexible plastic. One thing an alloy lower arm will do is prevent the arm from twisting which will change the caster angle as it does. More predictable to control.

Another thing with alloy is once it's bent, it doesn't bend back. Most times it will crack when you try.

great build! i am in the process of gathering parts to turn my dirt thrasher into a top force.

this thread just adds to the inspiration.

congrats on the great build. :D

Hi,

which damper oil is the standard for the Top Force Evo (included in the kit)?

Thanks.

Regards

Bjoern

which damper oil is the standard for the Top Force Evo (included in the kit)?

I'd imagine it's the standard yellow 400 oil, like they include with just about every kit.

- James

Totally gratuitous, shameless bump! :)

Another recent thread mentioned this one and I re-read it after a long time and thought - that deserves a self-bump!

Throw the ban-hammer at me if necessary, I didn't check the rules first... ;)

Edit: Ooh, moment of self-glory, lot's and lot's of people have checked this thread! :)

A couple of Top Force NIBs have shown up on the Bay lately, and I had an opportunity to purchase one for $215 + shipping. Not sure if I missed out on a good deal or not. I didn't want to pay more than $180 so I let it go. Seller re-listed again and it sold for over $230. Oh well. I need the money for a Bruiser anyway. :)

Totally gratuitous, shameless bump! ;)

Another recent thread mentioned this one and I re-read it after a long time and thought - that deserves a self-bump!

Throw the ban-hammer at me if necessary, I didn't check the rules first... -_-

Edit: Ooh, moment of self-glory, lot's and lot's of people have checked this thread! :wub:

Well Dave, have another bump from me - a great thread and one I only found after rebuilding my original Top Force. I'm happy with my subtle upgrades (lightweight prop shaft, plastic gear set, bearings all round and re-re Hi-Caps), but it's nice to see someone with the dedication and budget to do something extra special.Great inspiraional post

Oh my - I think I have to start hunting parts!. What an awesome awesome build! :drool:

Well Dave, have another bump from me - a great thread and one I only found after rebuilding my original Top Force. I'm happy with my subtle upgrades (lightweight prop shaft, plastic gear set, bearings all round and re-re Hi-Caps), but it's nice to see someone with the dedication and budget to do something extra special.Great inspiraional post

Oh my - I think I have to start hunting parts!. What an awesome awesome build! :drool:

Thanks for the nice words guys. Heck, I'm not sure if I could afford to do this now! I'm lucky enough to earn more than I did in 2006 (when I built this) but the component cost would be astronomical now I think... mind you, I thought they were pretty expensive at the time, it took me many, many months to compile it all together to start the build.

I'm in love with the 01/02 chassis, the simplicity of the plastic gearboxes in a shaft driven assembly that only took a few screws to connect the front and rear to the chassis was a delight. Don't get me wrong, my current runner is a 511 and it's fabulous but it's something I always need to think about. On the other hand once you harden an 01/02 chassis they are so low maintenance and so much fun that it's ridiculous.

Indeed, I'm doing a complete Hop-Up of a TA02SW chassis now, I had a massive amount of NIP Hop-Up's from years ago and I just grabbed a couple of chassis' and bodies (Taisan Porsche of course) to complete the haul. Once of the chassis' had many, many Hop-Up's already - I'm only a few short for a 100% era-correct Hop-Up chassis for that I think (need rear stabiliser and community feedback so I'll open a new thread soon).

Note on the Top Force - many of the GPM parts seem to be running out, if you want those (especially in silver) it's best to get them now I think.

This is a great build and can be applied to all of the DF01 buggys. I used this 'how-to' myself to assemble my Blazing Star. Fantastic buggy now and unbeaten on the track to date since the upgrades.

I've been searching for over 2 years now and not found a full set of alloy arms, only rears. GPM did make them, but not many. An alloy top gear cover would go well too. Yeah Racing make the rear diff cover in alloy, don't know about you but I've never broken one of the plastic ones before.

I've just done a pride/vanity re-read of this thread and saw this post went without acknowledgement. That's simply unacceptable because you are Mr. "TA". I've learnt more from you regarding this chassis series than from all other sources combined I reckon. That you referred to my thread for your 'Star is quite the accolade! -_- (BTW - my basher back in the day was a Blazing Star, loved it!)

Regarding the rear diff cover, yes I agree... that's a 'safe-as-houses' part, the alloy one is entirely unnecessary. Alloy top rear gear cover with an additional securing point would be ideal - save us 'hacking' the standard cover to keep the thing on!

The rear 'box of the 01/02 is the most troublesome area really; motor mount, shock tower attachment and top cover are all too weak once you go above a stock 540 (and let's not mention the 'coat hanger' that they call a prop shaft in many of the stock kits).

To bump up an old thread (and an exceptional OP effort): - now that the re-release is about to be re-released, any idea how many of these hop-ups are still available do you think? Very tempted to try to get my pre-ordered Top Force (when it arrives) hopped-up to Evo spec as a mini project. I will start researching the hop-ups you've mentioned in your extensive and brilliant first post, DMJCNZ.

• Like 1

Thanks for your kind words @ALEXKYRIAK, this was, and is still, one of my favourite cars. It was a great deal of fun (and $) compiling the parts over time and eventually completing it.

I didn't realise there was a re-re-release of the Top Force coming up but for sure Hop-Up parts are becoming scarce. Many are shared with the TA-02 and I was recently searching for those for my Anniversary Porsche and found them difficult to acquire. What is available will probably be expensive because Tamiya don't re-re most of the Hop-Ups at the same time. :(

My best advice is search now and grab what you can afford now, when kits ship Hop-Up stock will go down even faster. You might be okay with the GPM parts but the original Tamiya ones will be more difficult.

Good luck and post your progress! :)

So the new round of Top Forces arrived, this excellent thread clearly needs a bump....!

I am seriously considering trying this mod. Will let you know if / how I get on..... :)

5 hours ago, jomotion said:

Love this build! Where did you get the white Top Force Decals from?

White ones? The black ones with the white outlines are from the Top Force kit box.

Reminds me, I need to move those pics from Photobucket although the first page of this thread still shows up fine for me, pics included...

On the subject of alloy parts:

Do the GPM rear hub carriers have any built in toe like the stockers?  I picked up some Yeah carriers and they are 0 degree...

3 hours ago, Denver_Larry said:

On the subject of alloy parts:

Do the GPM rear hub carriers have any built in toe like the stockers?  I picked up some Yeah carriers and they are 0 degree...

I don't think any of the aftermarket hubs have toe in. @Tizer does some toe in options up to 3 degrees on shapeways

http://shpws.me/P73h

Let the build begin !

Not shown in the photo is the Top Force Evo 2017 rere  that all this will based upon or a few other parts that I’m still waiting on . 

IMG_1343.JPG

• Like 1