Sign in to follow this  
Old Busted Hotness

Brushless Mini Cooper! With a twist

I sold a customer a Mamba Max today, and he mentioned he was putting it in a Mini Cooper. My reaction was, wow, that's way too much motor for a Mini Cooper, but he decided to turn down the EPA on the throttle and roll with it.

Which got me thinking about what WOULD be a good brushless setup for a Mini Cooper? So during some slack time I strolled over to the helicopter section and picked up this little gem:

attachment2539adli3.jpg

It's an Align 430L 6-pole brushless heli motor, 3550KV, and it draws 10 amps at 7.2 volts. Perfect for a Mamba-25 speedo, which I have on hand. So in goes the motor, using an adapter plate, program the Mamba and take it for a spin.

Wonderful. Doesn't have the excessive wheelspin that a powerful brushed motor does (some, but not burnout-contest quality) and plenty of top end. The motor gets warm, but not as warm as some brushed motors I've had in this car. The Mamba isn't even breathing hard.

Hi,

I put a Brushless in my M-01 last year. See it my showroom.

I tryed two motors. The first is an "Electronic models Jupiter car 12S". It ran good but in 7.2V it is to much cogging. I try a Hacker C40 too but it works like a 27T brushed motor lol.

I keep the E/M motor but Imust install an brand new LiPo 11.1V battery to have more power and less cogging.

How much did that set you back, and is it any faster than brushed 15t motor,  longer run times ?

My goal wasn't all-out speed (I could have thrown a Mamba Max and 11,1 lipo at it for that), rather light weight, extended runtime and the sheer experimental value of it. I wanted to see how suitable a motor like this would be. Since I had the specs before I bought it, I knew it would turn 20,000 rpm on 7.2V. The only question was its starting power and throttle-up characteristics. But being an outrunner, and a heli motor, I knew it would have torque to spare.

Speed is comparable to a really good 27t stock motor, Trinity Monster Stock for example, but the handling and runtime are both improved.

I switched to a 17t pinion and the motor runs much cooler with very little loss of top speed.

Vroooom, I seem to recall the motor cost around $45. I got the Mamba for free [H]

Hi,

I'm interested in trying out the Align motors in my mini, as I'm in Taiwan and those motors are really cheap here. You mention you feel the speed is comparable to a good 27t stock motor. I don't know anything about stock motors so I'm wondering how a 27t stock motor would compare to say a sport tuned motor, or the popular superstock RZ (I think that's right) line of motors.

Thanks,

Rob

My goal wasn't all-out speed (I could have thrown a Mamba Max and 11,1 lipo at it for that), rather light weight, extended runtime and the sheer experimental value of it. I wanted to see how suitable a motor like this would be. Since I had the specs before I bought it, I knew it would turn 20,000 rpm on 7.2V. The only question was its starting power and throttle-up characteristics. But being an outrunner, and a heli motor, I knew it would have torque to spare.

Speed is comparable to a really good 27t stock motor, Trinity Monster Stock for example, but the handling and runtime are both improved.

I switched to a 17t pinion and the motor runs much cooler with very little loss of top speed.

Vroooom, I seem to recall the motor cost around $45. I got the Mamba for free [H]

How much faster is a brushless setup in a Mini compared to normal? :rolleyes:

I can't get my Lavender to soundly thrash my husband's stupid bog standard M03 with silvercan! :unsure: I've tried an Acto motor, black can Supersport, and currently got 20T pinion and Superstock Type T, along with new lightened bodyshell, carbon shafts, speed tuned gears, kingpins, plastic Minilights compared to his metal cosmics... It ought to be lighter and quicker/faster but I still can't shake the blimmin thing off!

Darn it;- I need to cheat! :D

How much faster is a brushless setup in a Mini compared to normal? :rolleyes:

I can't get my Lavender to soundly thrash my husband's stupid bog standard M03 with silvercan! :unsure: I've tried an Acto motor, black can Supersport, and currently got 20T pinion and Superstock Type T, along with new lightened bodyshell, carbon shafts, speed tuned gears, kingpins, plastic Minilights compared to his metal cosmics... It ought to be lighter and quicker/faster but I still can't shake the blimmin thing off!

Darn it;- I need to cheat! :D

You can really only make a M03 go so fast. The best thing to do is use your Genetic chassis :P

How much faster is a brushless setup in a Mini compared to normal?
Depends on the brushless motor you pick, they are available as equivalents from a 27 turn stock motor all the way to an 8 turn brushed motor. The main advantages of a brushless are no maintenance and better efficiency.

Equivalent?

No no noooo!

I need 'incredibly-much-faster-so-I-whip-the-pants-of-my-husband's-unnaturally-quick-standard-M03'... :P

Leaving speeding flames on the road behind it like the Back To The Future DeLorean, but preferably doesn't evaporate at 88mph :D

I guess my question is when people refer to a 27 t stock motor, are they always referring to a basic silver can? I believe there are 27 turn stock motors that have replaceable brushes. Are these motors the same speed as the basic silver can?

Rob

Depends on the brushless motor you pick, they are available as equivalents from a 27 turn stock motor all the way to an 8 turn brushed motor. The main advantages of a brushless are no maintenance and better efficiency.

Equivalent?

No no noooo!

I need 'incredibly-much-faster-so-I-whip-the-pants-of-my-husband's-unnaturally-quick-standard-M03'... :P

Leaving speeding flames on the road behind it like the Back To The Future DeLorean, but preferably doesn't evaporate at 88mph :D

That would be cool, send the cars a bit into the future when you have already won the race :P

I guess my question is when people refer to a 27 t stock motor, are they always referring to a basic silver can? I believe there are 27 turn stock motors that have replaceable brushes. Are these motors the same speed as the basic silver can?

No, a 27 turn stock motor is an open endbell motor designed for racing in stock class races, which is a more popular racing class than the unlimited modified motors. They are almost as fast as Tamiyas 23 turn motors and are highly tuned for racing with a wide range of motors designed for different tracks, some with high torque for low speed acceleration, with others designed for high speed tracks.

You need a Mamba Max 7700 then, equivalent to putting a 6 turn motor in it, although the mini will evaporate when it comes into contact with something solid :P

Something mid range would be more suitable though.