Sign in to follow this  
Tamiya_addict

M03 steering hop-ups

Hey all,

I'm building an M03 SWB and want to 'better' the steering, by that I mean a hi-torque servo saver and appropriate servo. Part # 50473 does not work on the M03. #51000 seems to work with touring cars, but again, not the M03.

What is a recommended hi-torque SS, including non-Tamiya, that has been verified by TC members?

Also, what servos, above a basic S3003 provide noticeably better control/precision? Any other successful M03 steering setups welcome.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike, you're better off leaving the original M03 servo saver on. There are very few others that have the correct dimensions to work properly. And to be honest it works fine anyway.

The Tamiya hi-torque s/s is complete rubbish. They break very, very easily... Dont use one..

As for servos, a lot of us at rc-mini.net use the Futaba S9550. A very good servo indeed.

Mike,

The Tamiya high torque servo saver is the best I have ever used because it simply provides solid steering feel. But if you crash all the time, high torque type is not your choice, go to KP (Kimbrough Products) ones.

Regarding your M-03, 50473 and 51000 are the same but only with different colors. Yes, they do not provide as much throw for M-03 and FF02. But to reinforce the stock servo saver, there are 2 options:

1.Use the largest reinforce ring from high torque servo savers.

2.Tie the servo saver around with a small nylon band.

The Futaba S9550 is a very good choice for steering and provides high speed and enough torque for M-03.

Regards

Joaquim

Thanks for the feedback.The Futuba S9550 is the low profile servo - interesting. But not really I guess. It's a quality servo and you pay for it. Okay moving on...

I am building my 58211 M03 Mini and tonight attached the front body posts. The 58211 manual says to use 3x15mm tapping screws for the front body mounts to chassis. However there were none in the kit, and the parts listing in the back of the manual shows only 3x10mm screws supplied. So I used 3x10mm screws, and I didn't get sufficient bight into the grey chassis material - that is the screws just kept turning. I'm not a gorilla who uses a impact hammer drill either - all screws are by hand and turned very slowly until the right joint torque is reached.

Have others experienced this?

I also noticed Tamiya screws in the M03 kit are Hex 9 free (silver versus yellow). Hex 9 (hexavalent chromium) is an anti-corrosive material and becomes toxic when in mist form, mixes with air (precipitates into one's lungs) - industry is moving away from it, and this is the first time I've seen Tamiya screws without it (their kingpins are still covered with Hex-9). So I guess this means yellow screws will become vintage and now valuable!! Or maybe it is just a cost cutting measure for the 58211 kit and industry doesn't care about our health. Yup, probably the latter.

Mike

Mike they are definitely 3 x 15 for sure. And I've built (at a rough guess) about 40-50 M03 kits and they've never been missing yet...

And usually they are the only ones in the kit that aren't yellow as it happens!