Sign in to follow this  
Koster

TXT-1 build questions

Hey guys,

I am new here and new to RC, but I have been reading some of the posts and there is a lot of good info here for a beginner. I have a few questions that I was wondering if anyone could answer. I need to be pointed in the right direction.

I am planning a TXT-1 build and would like to do things right the first time as far as electronics and hop ups. My wallet definitely has a limit, but nonetheless, I want to get good quality parts.

I am looking to build a truck just to have fun with, basically a basher. Something that has enough torque to use as a basic crawler but also enough speed to keep me entertained and not always wanting more. I have heard that the stock TXT’s speed is quite poor. Overall, I guess I am looking for a bit more speed than torque.

I will try and keep this simple:

1. Motors? I have read that the stock 540’s have descent torque, but not much speed. What is a good motor to upgrade to? Venom Fireballs? Titan 550’s? Magnetic Mayhems (if still available)?…etc. And what about turns – 17 turn, 19 turn, etc.
  2. ESC? Of course an ESC that can handle dual motors and one that has reverse, but which one? I have seen a bunch mentioned here but don’t remember the names.
  3. Servos? I have heard a lot of talk about the Hitech 645mg I believe it is? How about ¼ scale servos? Do I need one or two of these? And servo savers?
  4. Bearings? I know it is a good idea to go with metal shielded bearings from the get go, but how many do I need? I have seen sets of 27 for the TXT and also sets of 35.
  5. Battery? 6 or 7 cell? One or two batteries? A separate battery for the servos?
  6. Radio? Which ones are good or does it not really matter? How many channels?
  7. Charger? Any opinions?
  8. Anything I may have missed or suggestions for a better build? Tips, tricks, etc?
  9. And lastly, does anyone know of where I might be able to get a Pro-line ’47 Dodge Power Wagon body, 4 doors? I know they have been discontinued.

I think that about covers my basic questions. As I mentioned, I am new to this and honestly, trying to read up on it has me a bit confused. Again, I am not looking to spend a fortune, but just to buy descent quality stuff that I will be happy with.

I know it’s a lot, but if anyone is willing to answer I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Congratulations on the TXT-1 purchase [Y].

To do list as follows:

Motors:

Servos:

• help us out by telling us what country you are in as this makes a difference for prices & availability
  • yes, the Hitec 645 is a good inexpensive servo

Radio:

Battery:

• Run it stock with one battery first
  • Get the battery with the highest mah rating you can. ie: 4300 mah.  The bigger the number the longer the run time.
  • First stick with 6 fell packs, not all speed controllers can handle 7 cell packs
  • 2 battery packs adds a lot of weight to the truck
  • any charger will be sufficient check your Local Hobby Shop

Tips/Tricks/Build:

• Take your time
  • build it over a few evenings
  • follow the directions
  • read the instruction book several times before the build
  • check other txt-1's on the club here: http://www.tamiyaclub.com/userrides.asp?id=285
  • Avoid aluminum hop-ups at first as they add a lot of weight & don't add much for performance

After a while it could look like this:

post-9-1163751600.jpg

Ditto on pretty much everything Backtomyroots said. I'd add a few things:

1. Get a good servo-saver, the Kimbrough for gas cars/trucks is a good choice

2. The Hitec 5645MG digital servo is also a good choise, it has a more torque than the non-digital 645

3. Run a seperate 6V reciever pack, you'll get more torque out of the steering servo.

Mike

If you're on a limited budget with your TXT (like I am) the only things you really need to worry about are the motors and ESC to begin with. 17 turns is probably as high as you want to go but you will be pushing your price's up. I would go for getting Tamiy's BZ or RZ motor's, they're pretty cheap off ebay and at 23 turns represent a good torque/speed ratio. I've just put two RZ's in my TXT but i haven't had a chance to run it yet to test them. People here say BZ's are particularly good in the TXT. You will also need a decent ESC or two Y'd together off the same channel which is what I've done, its a slightly more complicated set up but I came to the conclusion it was probably the cheapest. 

Hi there!

if you want speed out of your txt-1, try this little option:

txt110_c.jpg

LOL [:)]

On a more serious note, the txt-1 is pretty slow with its stock 540's. Its therefore pretty dull to drive on pavement, but its very fun off road and over mud, puddles and rocks - even with the stock motors.

If your going for more speed, i wouldnt recommend using 4 wheel steering, as the truck will be easy to roll.

I'd also recommend stiffening the suspension if your planning for speed and not crawling over stuff, the torque twist of the txt-1 is crazy - it will lift a front wheel and tilt to one side under acceleration - due to the torque and the way its geared, but also due to the long suspension arm system.

If you can find one, get a novak super rooster esc. I've heared they are pretty nice bits of kit.

Tips -

Use liquid threadlock, and use it well. Make sure those grub screws are fully tightened, especially the pinion gears. The motors are not easy to get to once the chassis is assembled. Purchase a very long screw driver, it makes life easy when getting the motor plate out.

Nitro r/cs, an ebay seller, do a bearing set for the txt-1

If you like aluminium, (i do [;)]) New era make very nice alumiunium parts for the txt-1. 

Inet rc, whos a tamiya club member, also makes very nice ally parts for the txt-1. he'll be doing aluminium axle cases soon too [H]

Get good quality servo savers, or dont use a servo saver at all (but dont crash the truck [:P]) as the tamiya servo saver is rubbish [;)]

Glue the tyres to the rims! Inspite of the manual, if you dont, the truck will not go over anything, and all the power will be wasted with the rims spinning in the tyres - useless [H] 

Koster. This movie i made is of my TXT with stock motors to give you idea of how much speed you can expect out of the box. Personaly I think that the TXT is loads more fun with a 4 wheel steering set up, yes it tips easily at high speed but you just have to become nimble with those controls and shave off a bit of speed before turning. Its turning circle is laughable with only two wheel steering. Also I think you'll be suprised at how much fun slower speed rock crawling is with the TXT. check my vid out http://www.tamiyaclub.com/moviecomment.asp?id=1845&uid=14440 

Thanks for all the info guys, it helps alot.

Backtomyroots, I am in the USA.

Ok, so I am figuring on driving the TXT-1 with the stock motors to see what it is like and wether I like the torque/speed that it puts out. Mobias, I checked out the video of your TXT with the stock motors. Thanks. It dosen't look too bad, but I am sure I will be wanting more after a short while.

As far as mod motors, it seems as though some like the Venoms and others advise to stay away from them. That is a bit confusing. Also, the Tamiya RZ or TZ have been suggested. I guess when it comes time to, I will choose between these two brands. Again, is 17 turn or 19 turn better, or a higher turn?

This is the part that has me really condfused. Some people run two batteries and some run one. What's the difference? Also, mobias you had mentioned "You will also need a decent ESC or two Y'd together off the same channel which is what I've done, its a slightly more complicated set up but I came to the conclusion it was probably the cheapest." So I can either get one great ESC or two good ones and wire them together?

What is the best motor, esc, battery and servo setup? How many of each? How should it/they be wired? Being new at this, this is the most confusing part.

Thanks for the help. K

It has to be said the TXT-1 is quite a confusing beast to run. There are a lot of options to running it and they all have there pros and cons. It does depend on the size of your wallet to a very large extent. There are two things you will need when you buy the truck (out with the battery and radio) one is a set of bearings the other is an ESC. You needn't go so far as metal shielded bearings, standard bearings will do fine.

You really need to look at your budget when choosing an ESC.

If you want to go down the less complicated route of having one ESC then you really need to spend a decent amount of money on a big one that will easily handle whatever motors you choose at any pace you decide to run at. Some people here say you can buy budget single ESC's that will handle big motors in the TXT but having blown one up already I would say spend more money now and save money in the long run.

The twin ESC set up is cheaper though and not really that complicated at the end of the day. I've got two Mtronics RV-15's Y'd up off one channel. The RV-15's aren't that expensive and have a 15 turn motor limit (though I wouldn't use them with 15 turn motrs in the TXT, thats asking for trouble) Also by going down this route you don't have any wiring concerns to worry about, each ESC has a motor all to itself.

The TXT is great fun with 17 turn motors in it, those huge wheels churn up the ground and send soil flying everywhere. However there is a trade off with that high speed and slow paced crawling. If you go for slow paced crawling with 17 turn motors things will heat up very, very quickly. Thats why i reckon the Tamiya BZ's/RZ's will probably be a good compromise (they also look great too) I haven't run mine yet but here they are in the chassis, the heat sinks are an extra but look cool

post-9-1163814300.jpg

Wouldn't mind seeing a bit of a wiring sketch of this Y'd together bizzo......I take it that you need to run 2 batteries with that?

Yeah sorry i forgot to mention that above. If you run your TXT with a dual ESC set up you can either run it with a single battery Y'd to both ESC's or dual battery set up where you have two batteries each powering an ESC and motor. Personally i wouldn't advise the latter. The extra weight penalty of having two batteries is not worth it both in terms of extra power and extra wear and tear on your TXT, its certainly not going to help you if you do a jump put it that way.

So making a battery Y lead is by far the best option i think. Its dead easy here's how to make one. There are of course tons of options in terms of wiring your motors and batteries in parallel or series for extra power/torque/battery run time but I wouldn't worry about any of that to begin with, consider that for advanced TXT use once you get to grips with basic running. I was going to direct you to DR Doug T's excelent TXT page but it unfortunately seems to have gone now which is a shame as it was a mine of information (anyone have a copy of it?)

post-9-1163864580.jpg

Thanks Mobias.

As far as the Mtroniks RV-15's, I have only found one site, hobbypeople.com, who has them here in the US. I was wondering if you know if there are any comparable ESC's available at towerhobbies.com? How about the Novak XRS? I am going to be ordering some stuff from them and figured the more I can get from them the better as far as shipping and whatnot.

I think I will try two ESC's and one battery, that seems like the way to go. However, I can get one good ESC for around $120, like the Novak Super Rooster, or I can get two others for around $100. The price difference isn't much, but if two is better than one (one for each motor) I will do that.

Also, if I want to use the 4 wheel steering, how do I go about setting that up and what do I need for it?

Thanks, K

Thanks Mobias.

As far as the Mtroniks RV-15's, I have only found one site, hobbypeople.com, who has them here in the US. I was wondering if you know if there are any comparable ESC's available at towerhobbies.com? How about the Novak XRS? I am going to be ordering some stuff from them and figured the more I can get from them the better as far as shipping and whatnot.

I think I will try two ESC's and one battery, that seems like the way to go. However, I can get one good ESC for around $120, like the Novak Super Rooster, or I can get two others for around $100. The price difference isn't much, but if two is better than one (one for each motor) I will do that.

Also, if I want to use the 4 wheel steering, how do I go about setting that up and what do I need for it?

Thanks, K

Spend the extra cash & get the Novak Super Rooster. It'll be able to run both the stock motors AND two modified motors if you upgrade later.

The xrs is not very suitable for the txt-1.

Check here too:

http://tamiyaclub.com/CS/forums/thread/190241.aspx

Yup totally agree with Backtomyroots, if you can afford a Super Rooster then definitely get one, it will save you a lot of headaches in the long run.

You only need two things for a four wheel steering set up. One is a high torque servo, which needn't be too expensive, Futaba do pretty good cheap one's. The other is a servo Y harness to link the front and rear servos together off one channel. Contrary to what you may read elsewhere you don't need a reversing Y harness. Tamiya  have cleverly rigged it so the rear  servo is inverted  (this will make sense when you build your TXT)

The kit does come with servo savers, and to be honest I ran my TXT for a long time using them, they not as awful as they're made out but if you can stretch to getting high torque servo savers then get them.

I actually gave my TXT a small run this afternoon out on the driveway with the Tamiya RZ motors fitted and they're pretty dam fast, not that much slower than the 17 turn Venoms and easier on the battery, I would definitely recommend them. Didn't give them much of a torque test but they powered the truck over my legs, the BZ's apparently have more torque  but slightly less top speed.

A cheap but relatively powerful option could also be the Ezilla option, 2x 550 motors + it's own esc are very cheap. The motors are only about 10ps each (about $18/20? each), the esc is only 40ps (about $70?). I can recommend them as I have them in my Wild Dagger. Also it's a twin battery set-up.

ps = pounds sterling.

A cheap but relatively powerful option could also be the Ezilla option, 2x 550 motors + it's own esc are very cheap. The motors are only about 10ps each (about $18/20? each), the esc is only 40ps (about $70?). I can recommend them as I have them in my Wild Dagger. Also it's a twin battery set-up.

ps = pounds sterling.

How are they at for slower paced torque though? Because i was considering this option a while back but came to the conclusion that the whole set up is designed mainly for full throttle out and out speed.

Thanks for that wiring link backtomyroots, it clears things up a bit for me.

I am still trying to figure out what ESC is best:

Novak Super Rooster - I know this is a safe bet and comes highly recommended, but it's discontinued. However, available on Ebay

Novak Super Duty - A little expensive

Mtroniks RV-15 - Good if I want to run dual ESC's, but I think I will try to stay with one.

Any other recommendations?  How about a Novak Traxxas EVX?

How about the TEKIN REBEL 2? Heard any good things about this one? Good for dual motors? It's $80 on towerhobbies.com.

Thanks, K

Put a 'wanted' notice up here at TC. Someone may be willing to sell you a Super Rooster cheaper than you find them on ebay.

Koster:

First Choice is the Super Rooster

BUT

The Super Duty can be wired for both 1 or 2 battery packs.  Plus it can handle pretty much any motors you can throw at it.  So it is just as recommended !

Avoid EVX.

These are my opinions only.

Start building already - you are killing us here [;)] !