Sign in to follow this  
benidormboy

"hong kong" models and kits

anyone out there bought a model or kit from the "hong kong" dealers on ebay. the offers seem very reasonable, but i just wanted to try and get some feedback from any t.c members. most of them have 100% feedback, but i am still a little concerned. 

I have bought almost all my kits and parts from Hong Kong and haven't had any problems with delivery or taxes. I find UK prices to high even with postage from HK there still cheeper. Stick to common sence and read feedback. good luck

Had no problems what-so-ever (touch wood, I've just ordered a re-re Hornet from one of them) My advice is pay the extra fee to have it delivered quickly by airmail otherwise you could be waiting a very, very long time for it.  If you check the any negative feedback they may have had its usually from people who thought stuff would still arrive reasonably quickly if they chose the cheaper sending options and its taken three months for something to arrive by horse and cart. The Hong Kong dealers are particularly good for smaller bits a pieces like motors and the like, you get some great deals, and the postal costs, even for express airmail, are pretty low

thats the kind of replies i need to see. want to order 6 different models and was a "bothered" about the hong kong factor. also if my new track gets passed i will be needing lots more models. lots of money to pay out if seller is bad!.

Don't forget Stella Models, one of Tamiya Clubs longest standing sponsors, their ad is on the Home Page!!

anyone out there bought a model or kit from the "hong kong" dealers on ebay. the offers seem very reasonable, but i just wanted to try and get some feedback from any t.c members. most of them have 100% feedback, but i am still a little concerned. 

Hiya I would totally 110% say buy from Stella Models if your buying from HK www.stellamodels.net (also have an ebay store). Always great service and sensible actual delivery price. Speedpost is only usually a couple of dollars more than regular (well worth it). A lot of the HK sellers on ebay make up their low prices from delivery surcharge but not stella. A big kit like a Blackfoot extreme or super clod actually only costs $40-$50 by EMS speed post ie £20-£25. I have seen HK ebay dealers try to charge double that for shipping.

I ordered my sand viper from stella on tuesday and had it delivered to my door on friday morning. Thats quicker than some UK dealers and total cost inc speed post was £60.

Avoid BigJohnOcean like the plague on ebay, he has the cheapest prices but the dodgyist seller I have ever come accross.

I have also bought regularly from HK - solely from Stella models though.  Personally I cannot praise them highly enough. 

I recently bought 3 kits and a number of parts from Stella and had no problems with import duty (So far - touch wood - I have not had any problems with customs - Avoid buying from the US though - Customs seem much more selective on US imports though). Delivery from Stella was also very quick as I received it all in one huge package easily within a week. 

However, I would still recommend you shop around. I have found on some occassions that Time Tunnel Models and Models in Motion (Both based in UK) have been as cheap when considering postage costs. 

Good luck.

Yep. 12 kits, 2 controllers, and a heap of bits and pieces from Stella so far, not a single problem, prices are fantastic, communication is brilliant, shipping is ultra fast.

Big thumbs up from me. I always check what Stella has in stock before looking elsewhere.

I've also bought 1 kit from Dinball on ebay, that was good too. Quick shipping, but prices not quite as good as Stella.

thanks for the advice on this 1, will be looking at stella models and a few others today. saw big-john-ocean on ebay with an odd looking model. said it was a tamiya, but looked more like a toy, avoid him i think.

Ordered my Hi Lift from Dragon shop and it got here in 7 days. (My Xmas pressie to myself)

Just received the TXT-1 I ordered from Stella last week.(My sons Xma pressie)

Also used Dinball before without problem.

Shipping is sometimes quicker than ordering from the UK.

And saved a load of cash every time.

Cheers

Paul

been looking into this "hong kong" dealers a little closer, and i reckon you can save between 20%-30% on most models. checked out 6 of what seem to be the most popular models on t.c. thats the dark impact to a lunchbox. feedback ratings on ebay, dragonshop 99.6% & bigjohnocean 96.5%. on reflection i think i will stick with stellamodels or 1 of the others and pay the extra.

still factor import duties into the price incase you do get stung. i ordered a knight hauler from a Hong Kong seller and it cost me £90 duties.

by the time you added it all up same price as uk.

dont get me wrong you can and i have saved £1000's buying from the likes of stella but duties are i think about 17.5 % added onto the total cost inc shipping so it adds up to quit a bit.

i have been useing Stella since way back when he had only 5-10 feedback so a lot of years and i reckon i have bought about £7000 + maybe double that and only got stung half a dozen times.so it helps if you have the extra cash incase it happens then you wont be left short.

also stella ships EMS and the longest i have had to wait is about 6 days but the norm is 3 to 4 excellent service and a nice bunch of people.

also checkout Timetunnel  there prices are good on a lot of kits lately,  the price diffrence is not as high as when i first started colleting.and there no rush free p&p normally takes about 2 days to deliver.i got all the re-release kits from them on pre order just a few weeks after the HK sellers had them.

i also recomend Dinballs but they can be a tad slow on delivery.

Hong kong cowboy was also good to me, had a few kits from him and never paid import duties

stay away from bigjohnocean the feed back says it all

blimey thats got to be the longest post i have ever done :) and Stella Rocks

Darren

Stella, JR-RC, HongKong Cowboy, Dragonshop hk, xxseligslandxx (whatever it is lol ) have all been great so far. No import duties and gd service and shipping from them all, Stella and JR-RC the most used but dragonshop often has some very cheap kits.

Avoid like the plague bigjohnocean and also hingkeemodelco - His english is dire and I had to claim my money back via paypal. The only negative feedback I have ever left. 

Hope this helps and good luck with ure order.

Best Regards Ryck 

just one point although most seem to have success im having trouble with hongkong cowboy and am now having to claim money through papal i will update if he offers my money back easily heres hopin.

Dinball and JR-RC are two sellers I've used a lot with no troubles.

Stella, JR-RC, HongKong Cowboy, Dragonshop hk, xxselegend (whatever it is lol ) have all been great so far. No import duties and gd service and shipping from them all, Stella and JR-RC the most used but dragonshop often has some very cheap kits.

Avoid like the plague bigjohnocean and also hingkeemodelco - His english is dire and I had to claim my money back via paypal. The only negative feedback I have ever left. 

Hope this helps and good luck with ure order.

Best Regards Ryck 

Avoid the one in bold above.  Check his ebay f/b it is terrible of late.  I have had to do a PayPal clawback from him for non-delivery, got it today in fact. 

Have used all the others and they are first class.  Jason (JR-RC) might be surprised to see that he has moved [:D] He is based in Tokyo not HK.

ordered 2 models from dragonshop today, but 1st i emailed them with my concerns about some other hong-kong suppliers. i explained that i was a member of T.C. and that there were over 18,000 members. they assured me that there would be no problems with orders or long delays. they did not want to "upset" a possible 18,000 customers. if all goes well i will do the same with stella, jr-rc and hong kong cowboy. hope this helps.

ordered 2 models from dragonshop today, but 1st i emailed them with my concerns about some other hong-kong suppliers. i explained that i was a member of T.C. and that there were over 18,000 members. they assured me that there would be no problems with orders or long delays. they did not want to "upset" a possible 18,000 customers. if all goes well i will do the same with stella, jr-rc and hong kong cowboy. hope this helps.

The power of the club eh!  I guess reputable sellers won't mind giving assurances, they have nothing to fear and many have a good reputation with many TC members already.

JR-RC and Stella are great sellers, they keep you informed and send packages (very well wrapped packages at that) quickly, they don't overcharge for shipping and do top deals (my F350 high lift and 4ch radio gear combo from Stella including shipping was cheaper than just buying the kit in Australia).

I have bought a fair amount of stuff (RC cars and helis) from Far Eastern sellers and so far not had any problems with any deals.

Cheers

Dave

ordered kyosho suzuki bike, bike electrics, bike hop-ups and tamiya mini cooper racing sunday night and they arrived.................

last night!

thats 72 hours ish!

thank you STELLA, will be using again when wife lets me!

i  must say that reading through this post, and on other forums, the hong kong sellers seem to come up trumps. the price and speed seem to be excellent, except for 1 of them. i suppose i can say the name in spanish without any comeback. (grande/juan/oceano) i have used dragonshop,  and if all goes well i will try stellamodels next. reputations can be damaged on posts like this, lets hope that someone will get his act together. blakeatron, 72 hours(ish) from the other side of the world, who delivered your parcel SANTA. 

benidormboy i know sounds like rubbish, but its true! i was as shocked as a very shocked thing!

i have just looked and realised that time tunnel models & fusionhobbies are both uk based. the 1st thing is that they are "home based" & they are also sponsors of our site. i might not use them everytime, but i will deal with them if only for the 2 reasons stated above. ( jobs for the boys and all that )

It is often the case that you get one parcel that clearly is sent at just the right time by the seller to hit whatever the freight equivilant of all green lights lol.

I had a parcel from walawala with my pajero that was ordered on Thursday and here on monday, Before royal mail lol.

Best Regards Ryck  

I have ordered e-bay items from Dinball and toypowerseller from the far east, service has been excellent.

As a TC member, is it better to buy from Stella from Ebay or direct from their website online store?

I presume best thing to do is drop them a line saying something along the lines that I'm a TC Subscriber and how much would kit plus shipping be to the UK? Do we get any discount if we ask?

[:D

(I know that Dinball & JR-RC do great combined shipping deals for me when I ask nicely [A] )