Sign in to follow this  
benidormboy

"hong kong" models and kits

Actually it makes no difference being a TC member as we don't get a discount at Stella.

As a subscriber you get a 10% discount on spares at Time Tunnel by ordering parts though the TC parts shop, and a 10% discount on loads of stuff at Modelsport, you have to send them your member name and number when you place your order to get it. Ordinary members (non subscribers) just get a 5% discount.

i did exactly as you said suzy and mentioned that i was a t.c. member. alright i did not get any discount but it seemed to get their attention. the question i asked about my "concerns" was answered within minutes,(could have been just good timing i suppose) bad P-R is the last thing you want when you are in buisness, i hope the professionalism shown by this company (dragonshop) will pay dividends for them. could not help but notice our friend,s (bjo) rating is down a little again.

Not quite a HK seller but... 

My TRF501X arrived from RC Champ today... perfectly packaged and delivered from Japan to New Zealand in less than 5 days.

Top shelf!

These guys really are good, price, communication, delivery, packaging are all A1, thanks RC Champ! (http://www.rc-champ.co.jp/)

hi dj, just been on the rc-champ site. when you get the lingo changed you know these boys are into r/c big style. everything about them is good, the same as you said. think this company will be 1 to watch/use in the future. p.s. long live queenstown, adrenaline junkies heaven.

Aha. I have founf the buton below for foreign customers. You can download an excel file where you can order the items you need!!

Maybe I'll try to order and see how this works out.

The thing about ordering from abroad is that realistically; there should be no problem.

Morally, it's left up to you. We fight to beat prices from abroad, but we cannot go lower than the Hobby co. lets us or we lose money (obviously)

Sometimes; they get it right, for instance; the new Tamiya FXX body and wheels cost the same over here as they do in the highstreets of HK.

The new Porsche which was very limited; should have all sold for the same price worldwide.

But all the time the Hobby Co. gets it wrong; I even order things from the far east. And I work selling Tamiya...

Chris.

The same situation happens in the UK at the moment with 1:1 cars. Dealers cannot compete with internet prices, some car suppliers buy foreign models or imports and sell them at massive discounts. But as dealers are struggling due lack of sales service costs are going up to try and recoup lost funds meaning non franchised garages are getting the service work due to cheaper labour rates.

Its a downwards spiral that I think will end car dealers eventually. Just remember it may save you a few pounds/dollars but unless your LHS sells on e-bay they might not make enough money to survive.

Support your local hobby store [:D

The same situation happens in the UK at the moment with 1:1 cars. Dealers cannot compete with internet prices, some car suppliers buy foreign models or imports and sell them at massive discounts. But as dealers are struggling due lack of sales service costs are going up to try and recoup lost funds meaning non franchised garages are getting the service work due to cheaper labour rates.

Its a downwards spiral that I think will end car dealers eventually. Just remember it may save you a few pounds/dollars but unless your LHS sells on e-bay they might not make enough money to survive.

Support your local hobby store [:D

A very fine sentiment, but what would you do if the importer/ distributor in your country does not support your local hobby store?  Go without in a show of solidarity?  I don't think so.  See the post from Chris.

Chris,

True. It is for me cheaper to buy spare parts via the internet then my LHS...

For example:

Dark Impact price here in Holland: EUR 169,-

Dark Impact price in Japan: EUR 67,- + Shipping ± EUR 20,- = EUR 87,- total. This is still 50% of the Holland price!! Come on, in Holland they can buyand ship  in large numbers willst I can pay 50% for only ONE model???? Problem is that we have two layers of distributors between them. I bet that if these models where cheaper more people would enjoy the hobby...

It is a hobby so with these price differences..... I choose to buy overseas.

Like djmcnz....I've used Dinball and JC-RC with no trouble at all....always receive everything as stated.

~Sal

Thought I'd throw my two penth in, Ordered loads of spares now off Dinball both via EBay and there website and the last one was done on Christmas Eve and arrived 5 days later in the UK. That deserves a pat on the back, and for info I've never mentioned I'm a member of TC.

I've been buying from regular sources in Hong Kong for 5 years or so and I'm glad a few people have mentioned Big John's Ocean on EBay. I've never used this seller but something, bar the grammar!, stook out as a little fishy (pardon the pun). Shipping has always been a bone of contention with me between sellers but hey I only enter into a deal with first checking all the costs but I could never understand his charges to the UK. If you looked at his listings in other parts of the world they were totally different. i.e. you could 'Buy It Now' on a US or AUS website for less and still get it shipped to the UK for less but his listing in the UK was bumped up!?!

Finally a secret I would also like to share. When searching on EBay and using worldwide it only brings limited results back. If you actually go to foreign EBay sites and put the same search in it brings back incredible results. I was searching for ages for new Kyosho RS500 shells every week or so. I tried EBay Germany and a fantastic chap was selling 2 shells and a rare set of Kalber decals - I got them very cheap!!

You probably need to change your character encoding in your browser as the site is entirely in Japanese.

Go to the View menu, then Character Encoding and choose one of the Japanese ones (if you are using IE7 it is under Page, then Encoding). You may need to try a couple until you get one that works.

I use HK shops almost exclusively (locals aren't much good) and I've never had a problem. (yet)....

ive just ordered again from stella - an aeromax, mfu and other little bits - came in at about 3/4 ish the price of uk sellers - including postage!

and i will def be buying my trailor and associated bits off them when funds, and wife, will let me!

and i will def be buying my trailor and associated bits off them when funds, and wife, will let me!

Ouch... that's sad, but sounds verry like my situation [:(

Well you got to love stellamodels. I ordered stuff at the end of last week, shipped friday and out for delivery today so effectively 1 business day shipping taking into account of the UK New Years Bank holiday. 1 Business Day from the other side of the world. Plus they had all the disruption of the earthquake. # Edit stuff arrived at 11am GMT so under 24 business hours to ship with the benefit of the weekend and bank holiday.

I am yet to find more than a coupple of UK stores that post this quick (Time Tunnel Models for 1). Infact my local model shop almost next door to me can't get tamiya parts that quick. Not even close to it. Shipping from HK seems to be the quickest global international shipping imo, Infact shipping from the US takes a fair bit longer and add to that customs always seem to take a peek.

Jasons Store has a nice Toyota Hilux I have my eye on atm. Infact the shipped price is less than the original price all those years ago. Not bad for a superb vintage bit of kit.

well, im awaiting a small package from RCMart, couple rx's , bits and bobs, thought it should have been here by now. just checked the tracking number, it got here last week, but 'pending customs inspection' [:(]  you win some you lose some..

uk having a limit of £18 is a bit of a joke