Sign in to follow this  
Hibernaculum

The most wanted kits/cars in the world?

G'day,

I'm sure this has been discussed many times before.  But these lists change all the time, and seeing as this forum is a tad quiet at the moment (even the ol' Christmas thread idea fell a bit flat [:P]) I thought I'd throw this out there...

1. Name the 5 vintage models you want the most.

2. Name the 5 vintage models you think are the "most wanted" by collectors worldwide. (It would interesting to see how people's perceptions differ).

So for me, at the end of 2006....

My most wanted:

1. Hotshot

2. Porsche 959

3. Fox

4. Rough Rider

5. Grasshopper

(All need to be NIB, and these are mostly to do the insane, bankruptsy-inducing thing by completing a "set" of each one)

World's most wanted (just my humble opinion, as an avid watcher/collector!)

1. Toyota Hilux 4x4 Pickup

2. Blazing Blazer

3. Sand Scorcher

4. Toyota Hilux 4x4 Pickup Bruiser

5. Ford F150 Ranger XLT

Reasoning...

- As we end 2006, it's still hard to imagine any kit being more desireable for most collectors than the original Hilux. They come up very rarely, and their collectability seems largely unaffected by the new 3 speed Ford Hi-Lift release - perhaps due to their more realistic appearance, or sheer King-of-the-vintage status.

- The Blazing Blazer rides the coat-tails of the HiLux very closely, I just think if they were the same price, more people would want the Hi-Lux. Though there are some hard core Blazer fans out there.

- The ubiquitous Sand Scorcher is my #3, and given the constant interest, discussion, reputation and new collectors joining the market for this bug, it's collectability only seems to go up. I've seen the price increase almost AU$1000 (US$750) in about 18months. If I had written this list every year, you'd probably have seen it climb one or two spots in these rankings.

- The Bruiser 's prices have dipped I believe, in the wake of the new Hi-Lift 3 speed. I've seen them sit and not sell, or sell a little cheaper than I had expected. Still up there though.

- The Ford F150 Ranger is probably #5 overall, and #2 out of the SRB kits, as they are possibly the hardest of the 4 SRBs to come by right now. This also makes their value hard to define.

All just my own perceptions from the last 12 months.

Lastly, some will cite things like the Black Porsche 934 kit, but I've left that out here as I figured "most wanted" was sort of a combination of asking price and popularity (not just asking price). I think even though it's ultra rare, the black 934 is a bit obscure and for the completists. For the same money I think most people would choose one of the ones I listed. Though black 934s come up so rarely, I could be wrong! But I would place it somewhere in positions 6, 7 or 8, where it begins to get close and crowded up against the likes of the Mountaineer, Rough Rider and (albeit somewhat overvalued) Avante.

For the record, I think the Super Champ is the most undervalued kit of them all.

So, anyone else going to have a go?

cheers,

H.

My most five kits wanted wouldn't need to be NIB

1. Sand Rover

2. Blazing Blazer

3. Ford Ranger

4. Mini Cooper Monte Carlo

5. Black 58001 Porsche 

What i think are the five most wanted kits are

1. Bruiser

2. Sand Scorcher

3. Hilux

4. Blazing Blazer

5. Hotshot

Sho, Hotshot number 5? Really? [*-)]

My most wanted: 1: Frog, 2: Super Shot, 3: Bruiser, 4: Fox, 5: VW Beetle

What I think the most wanted kits are: 1: Sand Scorcher, 2: Bruiser, 3: Hi-Lux, 4: Rough Rider, 5: Monster Beetle

Now which kits are the most valuable, that's a different story. I don't think enough people would prefer the F150 over the Rough Rider and Monster Beetle to make the list.

By chassis: 1: SRB, 2: 3-speed, 3: ORV (Monster Beetle/Blackfoot/Frog), 4: Wild Willy 1/2, 5: 959/Celica 4WD.

Very close between the ORV and WW chassis.

I do agree, the Super Champ is surprisingly overlooked by collectors for some reason - it's like the poor cousin of the SRB family.

- James

My most wanted:

1. Hilux

2. Bruiser

3. Sand Scorcher

4. Super Champ

5. Blazer

World most wanted

1. Sand Scorcher

2. Bruiser

3. Hilux

4. Porsche 934

5. Avante

My Most wanted:

1. Porsche 959
  2. Sand Scorcher
  3. Blazing Blazer
  4. Sand Rover
  5. Mk1 Golf

For some reason, I've always liked the look of the Porsche 956 too... 

I think you guys have pretty much covered what the rest of the world wants...

My most wanted:

1. Sand Scorcher
2. Rough Rider
3. Super Champ
4. Black Foot
5. Monster Beetle

I´ve never been a three speed freak so...

My most wanted;

1:Blazing Blazer (to restore)

2:Blitzer Beetle (NIB)

3:Monster Beetle (to hop-up/restore)

4:Can-am Lola (to restore/race)

5:Ford Hi-Lift (NIB) - I have really run out of ideas

Number 4 and 5 were really stretches for me.

My 5 most wanted would be

1) lunchbox re-issue NIB

2) hornet re-issue NIB

3) Blitzer Beetle runner

4) Bullhead NIB

5) Bear Hawk runner

and i think the 5 most wanted kits are

1) Sand scorcher NIB

2) clod buster (chevy badged) NIB

3) Top Force EVO

4) rough rider NIB

5) Monster beetle NIB

Pete

Well  Pete at least you have a realistic list. lets face it our most wanted are just that, wants. meaning we probally won't get them unless all the planets are aligned!  that being said, here goes my list:

most wanted(NIB)

1. blazing blazer- to me has to be one of the best looking body/chassis combos ever!

2. super champ- this is a totally underated car! more technolgy here than the other srb's

3. rough rider

4. ford ranger xlt

5. sand scorcher

worlds most wanted(nib)

1. sand scorcher

2. hilux

3. avante

4. bruiser

5. monster beetle

Sho, Hotshot number 5? Really? [*-)]

Maybe I am confusing desirability with value but don't those two go hand in hand?

hmmmmm this list keeps changing over the years, but heres the now list

1 SS NIB (the only NIB I would ever own)

2 Porsche 934 turbo (Origional) New built 

3 Porsche 959 New built

4 Bruiser runner

5 Porsche Taisan New built

Looks like I'm getting a bit Porschey in my old age, I hope its common among V-Dub heads [:D]

Worlds most wanted

1 hard to say really but judging by these forums its a Sand Scorcher Re-Issue at No 1 [;)]

Hmmm.. that a nice thread.

Do the need to be Tamiya...... K****'s a good option..

We try not to use profanity here.[:o]

I'll try to keep it as pure as possible !

Most wanted:

1. Can am lola (NIB)

2. Landjump (NIB)

3. Renault 5. (NIB)

4. Hilux (NIB)

4. Brabham F1

Worlds most wanted

1. Hilux

2. Bruiser

3. Eggres

4. Landjump

5. Sand Scorcher

Hmmm.. that a nice thread.

Do the need to be Tamiya...... Kyosho's a good option..

You can include other brands too if you like. Or you could add a 3rd list of "Most wanted non-Tamiyas" [:)]

I guess my lists were all Tamiyas because, even though there are some others I would dearly like in my collection (and some I already have), the core group of Tamiya cars I adored as a kid are still my #1 goal.

cheers,

H. 

Well now that the replies have dried up and this thread has slipped into the netherworld of forum page 2 & beyond, I decided to work out the averages of all the votes made. [:P]

In the perceived "World's Most Wanted" category, the list averages out to:

1. Sand Scorcher

2. HiLux

3. Bruiser

4. Blazer

5 = Avante

5 = Rough Rider

5 = Clod Buster

In the "My personal most wanted" category, it becomes.... 

1 = Sand Scorcher

1 = Blazer

2. Porsche 959

3 = Super Champ

3 = Bruiser

3 = Rough Rider

cheers,

H.

One thing i have noticed is most of the kits on the list seem to be metal based kits not the tamiya plastic chassis

maybe tamiya should look at this ?

Pete

Here's my most wanted list.  I'd want them NIB, but wouldn't care if they were origianl or re-issue:

1.  Sand scorcher
2.  Porsche 959
3.  Ford Ranger XLT
4.  Avante
5.  Wild One
6.  HotShot
The Frog and/or Subaru Brat may have made the list prior to the announcement of their re-release.

My guess at the "world's" most wanted:
1. Bruiser
2. Sand Scorcher
3. Blazing Blazer
4. Avante
5. Ranger XLT

I won’t attempt to guess the worlds but mine would have to be

1.Mountaineer Nib

2.Fast Attack Vehicle Nib

3.F350 (with the mfu when it is out) Nib

4.M26 Pershing DMD Full option Nib

5.Pajero MTW Nib 

All too be built and run gently :P 

Aha. A thread I can answer. Albeit not easily.

1) Sand Scorcher (58016). Who doesn't want one of these. I did when it first came out and I do now. It's a Dub thing :)

2) Brat (58038). I absolutely adore the look of these. The "monster" version is nowhere near as nice.

3) Stadium Blitzer/Thunder (58106/181). Yes I know the Beetle is more popular, but there is something about this that I love more than the Bug. Probably my most likely purchase (as the two above are way out of this poor urchins league).

4) R34 Pennzoil (58239). In my online racing career, all my cars have, at one time, been Pennzoil. I love the scheme. And I want a road chassis too so this fits the criteria.

5) Leopard 2A6 Full Option. Hey, if I am dreaming here (and at this price I most assuredly am), then I want a tank. And there are none better than a Leopard 2.

*sigh*

As for the ones people want, judging from current eBay prices it's the Porsche rere. Or one of the 3-speed chappies.

VB 

Celica GRB

Hilux

Cheeta

Darn thats four already...

TRF 501x

That is what I nead!

If it's not Tamiyas exclusively the rarest kit I know of  is the Imai Elephant Tank. It had a retail price of $400 when released. (somewhere between late 60s and early 70s) There are some examples converted to full option with Tamiya King Tiger Electronics. The last NIB sold in a blind auction for $6600.