Sign in to follow this  
clarkey

Ferrari F40 1/24 Scale Build pics (56k may be slow)

Hi im posting these pics of my progress so far in response to ukzz4iroc's interest in the kit. This is the first static i have built in quite a while so please dont be to harsh but lots of constructive critisism welcome :). The kit is 1/24 so details are a lot harder to paint the engine is barley bigger than a tammiya paint pot laid on its side so you can imagine what painting the suspension struts and springs was like [:S]. Note the engine is not finished and there are still many little details to do just wanted to show some pics.

DSC01958.jpg

This photo shows the engine viewed from the side notice the red ferrari badge god bless dry brushing!

DSC01959.jpg

Side view, wasnt easy to paint the pully wheel inside the belt.

DSC01960.jpg

From above love the detailing of the exaust system

DSC01964.jpg

These are the wheels and although hard to see the centers are painted as are the inner rims wich involved much cursing :)

DSC01965.jpg 

And lastly the front suspension ready to be fitted will update when i get some more done

Very nice; looking excellent so far. I've been tempted to buy that kit myself.

I look forward to seeing the kit progress as you add more photos.

cheers for the links there some lovely kits you have built there yep it is slowly coming together though progress will stop for a while when my 1/12 caterham arrives as i will be building that first.

Excelent! Im in the middle of a 1/20 tamiya F1 myself. Your Ferrari power plant looks top shelf.

Question, what is dry brushing?

Question, what is dry brushing?

dry brushing is when you use a minimal amount of paint on the brush to give detail and a worn look to the part your painting.  Generally you dip your brush in the paint then try to get as much paint off of it with a paper towel.  Once there is hardly anything on it, you brush it around the crevaces of the part. 

Here is a warhammer piece I did up for my son.  I painted it up nicely then used a buff color to dry brush it and give it a worn look.

getuserimage.asp?t=n&id=img34_30062006054357_4.jpg

cheers for the kind comments nice work sho dog wish i was as good as that and top desription of try brushing i used it for the badge along with a wash for the engine components wich is hard to see in the pics

@Clarkey: nice work there matey![Y]

Nice clean work!

Be carefull with glossy paint on a 1/24 scale car, better use semi gloss for better (scale) reflection (except body work).

Just a suggestion, looks great so far!

Love the rims!

@Shodog: nice work there matey![Y]

A pity the shadow takes away most of the effect, would love to see more pics of that piece!

What scale is that? It has great details!

My favourite colors are matt black with a silver/alu drybrush...don't know why.

I love it when members post stuff like this![H]

Dee.

hi cheers dee nice to get some feedback from you as u have a great tallent for modeling ill bear that in mind with the paints its done in the colours mostly rocomended by tamiya so far ill post some more pics early next week of where its up to now cheers

A basic lesson in modelling:

A real life object catches more light because it's bigger (duh).

So you need more light into the model to let it look real.

There are a few tricks to accomplish that:

-Don't photograph in bright sunlight, too much shadow on the object (clouds help to spread the light more even).

-A wash with a darker color emphesize the shadows (=adding more "depth").

-A drybrush job highlights the details (=adding more "light").

It's all about effect and adding more details helps, even faking them.

There are several ways to do that.

I'm not saying my way is the best but it is a way.

With my latest project I also discovered I have to work on it to improve the effect and finish.

It's not perfect but you got to start somewhere...

Anyway, keep up the good work!

Dee.