clarkey

What cars do you all drive?

I think there's a separate thread for what car does your wife drive? :P

...says the guy with the MX5 :lol:

Once a co-worker with some big pickup truck called my MX-5 a "girl's car." I told him, "You've got power steering, an automatic, antilock brakes, and stability control. That thing does everything but wipe your (rear end) for you, and I hear they're working on that. I have manual steering, no electronic driving aids whatsoever, and I'm eye-level with your tow hooks. Try driving my car at 70 mph on the Interstate in heavy traffic, and then tell me which one takes more (you know whats) to drive. Oh wait, you don't know how to drive a stick, do you?" He shut up about it after that... ;)

• Like 4

Once a co-worker with some big pickup truck called my MX-5 a "girl's car." I told him, "You've got power steering, an automatic, antilock brakes, and stability control. That thing does everything but wipe your (rear end) for you, and I hear they're working on that. I have manual steering, no electronic driving aids whatsoever, and I'm eye-level with your tow hooks. Try driving my car at 70 mph on the Interstate in heavy traffic, and then tell me which one takes more (you know whats) to drive. Oh wait, you don't know how to drive a stick, do you?" He shut up about it after that... ;)

Bit like my old SW20 MR2, always got the hairdresser's car jibes.

RWD manual (obviously)

No power steering

No traction control

No air bags

No Sat Nav (I can read a map)

It had electric windows, mirrors & pop up lights though :)

DSC00179.jpg

• Like 5

I have one pop-up headlight and one sometimes-stays-up headlight. Have to do something about that eventually...

RE: excuses for owning a womans car. I bought my missus a 93 SiR DelSol about 9 years ago (we no longer own it). Her job is on the other side of a mountain range, about 40 minutes from home. One side is long and slightly winding, the other is steep and twisty. She would come home most days going up steep and twisty side and tell me how X person in Y car would try to give her a run up the ranges and she would just drop it down a couple of cogs and show them the money.

I've peddled it a few times, I chucked some ITR (integra type R) shocks and swaybars in it, and some stiffer/lower springs, it handles quite well for what it is. Oh and it's the transtop, so 41kg heavier than the manual roof version. And can agree on the girls car comments, and to make matters worse she was a beauty therapist, at a salon (hairdressers car lol).

Her she is a one of many track days, showing the boys whats up. ;)

006-1.jpg

• Like 3

Currently I drive a 2006 La/Ro LR3 that I love and plan to keep and pass on to my son for his first car, if I can manage it. I had a Discovery before this that lasted forever until I gave it to my mom and then cousin who drove it into the roof of a parking garage and treated it like garbage.

BUT I'll always have a special place in my heart for my '91 Mitsubishi Montero. It's why I painted a Pajero body champagne and mounted it on a WR-02 chassis (still unfinished, but still nice nostalgia piece for me)...

That's my ex-gf in the driver's seat during one of our many off-road drives on the rocky north shore of Long Island, NY. The truck was very light compared to my La/Ro's and floated well on sand. The 4WD had to be manually engaged and low gear selected, as well as getting out of the truck and manually locking/unlocking the front hubs! Then, to disengage you had to select 2WD gearing and roll the thing backwards until the 4WD disengaged. It was very hands-on, but it made it special too. The thing had a tiltometer in the dash to show your angle relative to flat with indications of roll-over danger limits. It had ZERO airbags though, and eventually the engine just gave out completely... but I've been tempted to find a used one on eBay and fix it up as a project.

22806526614_0d6b3f2349_o.jpg

My fun car is a 1974 BMW 2002. M20 swap is running and nearly finished. Should be close to 270whp relatively easy next fall on juice.

43E5CA90-AD36-40A0-8800-DB274210EA7B_zps

• Like 2

RE: excuses for owning a womans car. I bought my missus a 93 SiR DelSol about 9 years ago (we no longer own it). Her job is on the other side of a mountain range, about 40 minutes from home. One side is long and slightly winding, the other is steep and twisty. She would come home most days going up steep and twisty side and tell me how X person in Y car would try to give her a run up the ranges and she would just drop it down a couple of cogs and show them the money.

I've peddled it a few times, I chucked some ITR (integra type R) shocks and swaybars in it, and some stiffer/lower springs, it handles quite well for what it is. Oh and it's the transtop, so 41kg heavier than the manual roof version. And can agree on the girls car comments, and to make matters worse she was a beauty therapist, at a salon (hairdressers car lol).

006-1.jpg

My wife bought a white 95 Del Sol Si the same day I bought my Miata. We made jokes about the "his and hers" sports cars. She kept hers two years; I've kept mine seven. The Del Sol was a fun little car, but she wanted something bigger and more substantial.

I would have too, your wife had the 127hp version (same power as your MX-5) in a car 150kg+ heavier than yours. Plus hers probably had driver aids in a 95. Ours had the 170hp engine, and only power steer, nothing else (well apart from the lsd option).

Speaking of ladies cars, I still have my soccer mum station wagon. My mates still think it's for getting bread, milk, and eggs from the supermarket :lol:

Removed A/c, p/s, ABS, SRS, 250hp and 980kg

Sorry to add a wrong wheel drive daily,but,here's my old girl up at Aviemore,Scotland.

1269078_10153291924135387_858829275_o.jp

Defo going with project car once she's finished as the roads are awesome!

10504841_10154386090390387_6015452081850

• Like 3

Didn't need another car but Ive always had a soft spot for these and it was cheap/local

2mht1yt.jpg

Saw this on overclockers. Nice Merc

This is my A4 Avant 170TDI - has had DPF, EGR and EGR cooler removed and mapped. RS4 rear roll bar, Eibach 50/40 springs, 3SDM 0.01 Staggered 19x9.5 Rear 19x8.5 front wheels.

18643173918_174aee09ea_b.jpg

12049110_10153289630943772_1379087170876

And bought this off my father not so long ago. Lots of fun. Plan is to keep it knocking about until eldest daughter is old enough to drive.

22357612158_9954052ed4_c.jpg

• Like 1

006-1.jpg

Good to see you have a fun car Neil, or at least the wife does!! ;) This is my fun weekend car B)

IMG_3355_zpsfjt0upnp.jpg

• Like 2

Nice VK, good to see one in a colour other than blue ;) I used to have the SL with black 202 carby & 4 speed in the 90's before I went JDM. Always liked the aggressive front end of the VK though especially with the letterbox grille & spoiler !

Nice VK Andy! My mate from school had one, but it was a replica in blue, I much prefer yours! ;)

This is my other toy (posted earlier in thread) owned it 13 years now, need to move it on, I don't have time to take it to the track anymore.

thegoon001.jpg

images%208_zpszczkv8mj.jpg

thegoon003.jpg

• Like 2

Nice VK, good to see one in a colour other than blue ;) I used to have the SL with black 202 carby & 4 speed in the 90's before I went JDM. Always liked the aggressive front end of the VK though especially with the letterbox grille & spoiler !

Thanks Novastar, I have done the JDM thing as well but have come back to what I know best....old Commodores. This vk was originally an 202 but is now running a 304 inj and runs sweet

• Like 1

Nice VK Andy! My mate from school had one, but it was a replica in blue, I much prefer yours! ;)

This is my other toy (posted earlier in thread) owned it 13 years now, need to move it on, I don't have time to take it to the track anymore.

thegoon001.jpg

images%208_zpszczkv8mj.jpg

thegoon003.jpg

Thanks Neil, yeah the blue meanies are super popular with the replica builds! Your Honda looks fantastic, how does it perform on the track? What will you replace it with?

It goes quite well, holds its own against lighter cars and cuts it with the bigger boys too, but I'm getting old and want a muscle /street car to cruise in. Always had my heart set on a 67-8 c10 chev swb but will see, they are hard/expensive to get over here.

Edit: one of these, in any repairable state

images%2012_zpsl52tcpln.jpg

• Like 2

My wife supprized me the other day when she mention a 67 C10 :blink: she knows I want as a Club cruiser with a nice little V8 tucked under the bonnet :D

• Like 1

This is the Daily drive -_- Mazda CX 5 Grand touring, very happy with it :)

mazda-cx-5-10.jpg

I have to give my bike an honorable mention too :P Yamaha FZ8N

2014-Yamaha-FZ8-specs.jpg

Picked up my new car last week. Was getting fed up of the terrible fuel economy of my diesel Astra J (26MPG around town due to lots of cold starts and short journeys)plus its was just far too heavy for around town (1711KG unladen)

So I went for this, a 2014 Corsa VXR Nurburgring Edition. Totally different car to drive than a standard Corsa VXR. Comes with Bilstein B12 Dampers and Bilstein Progressive springs, Brembo brakes, Drexler Limited Slip Front Diff, Lightweight Forged Alloys, AFL Gyroscopic Headlights, Bluetooth, DAB Radio and Auto Lights. Even with the power its still miles better on fuel around town than my old diesel Astra was, with 30.8MPG and only 1223KG in weight.

So here is "Rex" ......

large.burg_452.JPG.d84d68855661ddf76524f

large.566aeff1cda92_burg4522.JPG.f8e575d

Thanks

James

:)

• Like 3

I'm not a Vauxhall fan and really dislike Corsas but the VXR Nurburgring edition is one i would really like to own. You've got the best colour too, very nice!

Thanks :) ...... yes I wasn't keen on a green car but in the flesh its a nice colour, its a pearlescent colour too so really pops in sunlight with a nice wax on it.

Most impressive thing is the limited slip diff, its just fantastic. Accelerate through a corner on country roads and the front just gets tighter and tighter instead of understeering.

You know it can handle pretty good when it can lap the top gear test track in partly snowy conditions in a 1:31.0 ........ faster than a VX220 Turbo (dry) and a BMW M3 E46 (dry)

James

:)

This is my daily driver. A ford BA xr8(same as the one in the pic), 5.4L v8, 5speed. goes o.k. but its heavy... and not to good on fuel :/

9YkQsNd.jpg

My other car(one of my other cars any) is a 79 FJ40 I've been fixing up... it has 327 Chevy V8 but it's been a pain in the a#$e to get registered because of the modifications.

NwPHvU1.jpg

• Like 2

I have to give my bike an honorable mention too :P Yamaha FZ8N

2014-Yamaha-FZ8-specs.jpg

Think we need a dedicated bike thread