clarkey

What cars do you all drive?

Some very nice cars on here, and Mulsanne I see you're one of the many Pistonheaders who attacks LeMans, I'd love to give that a go one year.

Thought I'd post up what I'm driving around in at the mo, it's a 2.0l Focus. The steering on it is brilliant, feels really connected to the road which is what you want. In the dry it sticks to the road like glue and has got a very decent amount of poke. In the wet, however, as it's on some not-so-brilliant rubber it never feels quite as planted. I did a trackday in it a Combe (in the dry), we took the rear seats and carpets out, fitted some better brake fluid and pads and it was brilliant! Really nimble, could keep up with some much more expensive machinery quite happily.

Focus11-1.jpg

Dad's got an Alpina B10 V8 - based on the 540i but with about 350bhp and lots of other subtle mechanical and cosmetic changes. We've been over to Germany in it a few times and managed to max it and we were pretty shocked seeing as the quoted top speed is 175mph!

B10Flash2.jpg

19-2.jpg

(Bang on 190 from driver's view)

Hi Petrolhead,

That Focus looks mint, get some proper tyres on it and it'll be perfect for b-roads. I actually found this forum after Herebemonsters answered a query I put on the Pistonheads Scale Models Forum. I would imagine there are a few of us on here.

Le Mans is awesome, I spend my life planning my next trip and every time it is better than I expect. If you have the slightest interest in cars or motorsport it's the perfect long weekend away.

On a different note, loving the Caprice with hydraulics ealier in the thread.

Le Mans is awesome, I spend my life planning my next trip and every time it is better than I expect. If you have the slightest interest in cars or motorsport it's the perfect long weekend away.

Is it quite as perfect as a long weekend at the Nordschleife, though? If you haven't done that, do it. We've been 3 times now and there's literally nothing else like it.

I would say that both Le Mans and the 'ring appeal to same sorts of folk, but i haven't been to the 'ring yet. The reason why Le Mans has such a festival atmosphere is that it is all concentrated and distilled down into one weekend in June. For many people, it is the focal point of there hobby/interests and their social calendar combined. You should see the effort some people go to with their camping arrangements, it's genuinly staggering.

I am supposed to be going to the Nordschleife this year, but I said that last year too. It depends if my mate pulls his finger out and organises it. I've been wanting to go for years but I have to say, the shine has been taken off a little by the increasing number of horror stories of when it all goes wrong, and the insurance implications. It's not got to the point where it would stop me going though. Going ona private track day would appeal more but there is a corresponding cost increase with that option.

Here's my new toy :D

DSCF2647.jpg

st1701.jpg

st1702.jpg

A Focus ST170 3 door, in imperial blue.

Like Petrolhead said, Foci corner like a sports car. I've had a 1.4 focus for the last 2 years and thought that cornered well enough. The ST170 feels like a big go cart and is an absolute dream on country roads.

The 2 litre engine has VVT and a 2 stage inlet manifold. Ford also changed the pistons, cams, flywheel and various other things.

It doesn't give the car "hot hatch" performance, but it still goes like a rather substantial turd off a rather clean shovel.

Like Petrolhead said, Foci corner like a sports car. I've had a 1.4 focus for the last 2 years and thought that cornered well enough. The ST170 feels like a big go cart and is an absolute dream on country roads.

The 2 litre engine has VVT and a 2 stage inlet manifold. Ford also changed the pistons, cams, flywheel and various other things.

It doesn't give the car "hot hatch" performance, but it still goes like a rather substantial turd off a rather clean shovel.

Nice car Ed - exhaust doing your head in yet?? :D

DSCF2647.jpg

st1701.jpg

st1702.jpg

I had one myself. I eventually found it lacking in performance to match the handling. I have a new ST2 to give me the performance boost :D

Cheers Skip :D

I'm a bit of a WRC fan so I'm still loving the rally style pops and burbles at the moment :D

The ST2 is a great car Tipsy, and I'll probably be looking for a asbo orange mk 2.5 in a few years time when the bargain prices come along - as long as fuel isn't 2 a litre by then :)

I like the ST170. I very nearly bought one a few years ago myself. I was looking for an estate version as they are pretty rare.

I like the ST170. I very nearly bought one a few years ago myself. I was looking for an estate version as they are pretty rare.

Yea, the estate was a rare car and pretty good looking too :D

I had quite a good dalliance shall we say with an ST170 down some country roads recently. Had him round a long sweeping right, had to go pretty flat out to get past it though... :D

I have today traded my Focus ST170 in the Blue with 17000 miles ( only got 4500 trade in for it ) in for a ST3 fully loaded and i pic it up on saterday :D :D :)

Plus the insuranc is cheaper the the old ST170 Bonus:)

post-3835-1236026267.jpg

post-3835-1236026256.jpg

I have today traded my Focus ST170 in the Blue with 17000( only got 4500 trade in for it ) in for a ST3 fully loaded and i pic it up on saterday :D :D :)

post-3835-1236026267.jpg

post-3835-1236026256.jpg

Fine choice, clearly a man of impeccable taste!

wow, i feel like i drive ****. you guys drive some awesome cars!!!

my parents stuck me with a Montero (LOL) (US version with the auto tranny) and i dont even have my own car yet. its gonna be hard to find something cheap, with a manual tranny, 4WD thats good for snow, and good versatility for hauling bicycles and such on the inside or in the bed. any suggestions on what to look for?

Your parents gave you a 4wd?? Blimey. Most I got from my parents was a new clutch when the car I bought off them needed one about a month later! Don't look a gift horse in the mouth - take it off roading and you'll have a whale of a time. Auto boxes can be useful for running on loose surfaces, and if you can select a gear or it has low ratio, you're laughing.

Nothin' wrong with a Montero... really! Very much enjoy driving mine. Cruises nicely up the highway in comfort and very capable offroad. The V6 engine will scream if you force it to, very high redline. Don't think I'd like an auto transmission anything though.

Not new is it? Because you do know the RS is out soon...?

With the RS focus (something like 26k new )coming soon it would work out over twice the price than what i payed for the ST3.

My ST3 is 18 months old and i saved about 8-9k on a new ST.

Nothin' wrong with a Montero... really! Very much enjoy driving mine. Cruises nicely up the highway in comfort and very capable offroad. The V6 engine will scream if you force it to, very high redline. Don't think I'd like an auto transmission anything though.

the only thing i really like about it is that its VERY good off road and in the snow. just not very fun to drive. mine also have an alternator problem. i dont get decent lights (through out the vehicle) if the engine hasnt gotten past 2K RPMs. not good when its cold and on icy roads.

A Disco series 1 3.9l V8. Love it cause of the auto box and off roading ability. She's standard but might do a couple off mods in the distant future.

post-23688-1237196510.jpg

i just got my own car!!!! its a 1986 Nissan SE pickup with the V-6. gets about 21MPG. 5-speed, no A/C. its silver and red. red interior, its a bit too red inside. lol. got the off-road package. bought it with 83,000mi on it! ill upload a pick when i got one.