Sign in to follow this  
Hibernaculum

A message for do-gooders on eBay: shut up!

G'day,

Have you ever been in a shop, and found a bargain?

Let's say it was an antique/junk shop, and you happened upon a decent condition, used Sand Scorcher for say, $50.

And let's say you took said Sand Scorcher up to the counter, in order to buy it, inwardly thinking to yourself "Whoopee!".

But just before you handed over your $50 to the shop owner, someone else in the shop - a person with no interest in buying the Sand Scorcher - came up and interrupted the transaction with "Excuse me, Mr Shopowner, but do you realise that this item you're selling is actually worth a lot more than you are charging? You should be getting at least $250 for it!"

Now that would be really annoying, wouldn't it.

Really very annoying, to the point where you would tell the other person to shut up, or else you'd shove their little cotton socks down their throat.

Well it's time to tell do-gooders on eBay to shut up, just the same.

Sometimes on eBay, you come across bargains - items that are mis-named, incorrectly described, and so forth.

If someone neglects to research what they are selling, and posts an auction that says "Here is some sort of old VW beetle toy new in the box, I found it in Grandma's attic. It's called the Sand Groper or something. Who cares, the wife said it's got to go. Good luck bidding!", then the lucky bidders out there who find it are well within their right to win a stonking great bargain - if they can.

But if some other shmuck comes along and spoils the party with "Dear Mr eBay seller, I don't know if you realise this, but I am a Tamiya expert, and what you are selling is a Tamiya Sand Scorcher and guess what! It's worth $239529437598234598298512345723458324658362478543253425!!!!!!!".

Then I'm sorry but that person is pure evil, and may look like Ned Flanders.

The point:

Please do not spoil eBay bargains. eBay is a marketplace and, though it may seem horribly unfair, sometimes crazy bargains do happen. Sometimes crazy-lucky things happen in life in general - like netting a 3-pointer backwards over your head, or falling in love....and these events do not need to be "corrected".

I've had bargains on eBay. But I've also been royally ripped off in the past. In the end, you get a bit of both. But we bargain hunters will never get to experience the good half if stupid little 2-bit bargain spoiling nitwits, who think they are "setting the balance right", keep interfering and writing to sellers with their oh-so-knowledgeable twaddle. So to those people: just shut up!

cheers,

H.

If you are worried about someone else finding out about the mislisted auction you have your eye on, make the seller a cash offer. Sure you might pass up getting a "Sand Smoker toy rc" for 99 cents but you are still doing well if you get the seller to end early for 40 dollars.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all, just suggesting that sometimes bargains are not worth the worry and you have to act fast. Even mislisted bargains do usually get found, better to snag it cheap before a bid war gets started between the two knowledgeable people who found that rare and mislisted item.

H,

I quite agree with your comments, ALL these people need stringing up! But look a little harder on the bay and these very annoying people won't scupper your plans.  On a recent visit to the bay I found a Schumacher bosscat rolling chassis. 'discribed as a 4wd car with cool three spoke wheels worth twice in spares'. great bargain for £15.00 buy it now. when the item arrived said spare parts made up a rolling optima mid custom chassis!

So the bargains are still to be had  just keep looking.

Dready

Hibernaculum I Applaud you[Y]

Your exactly right. It's horses for courses sometimes you get a bargain and sometimes you end up selling something you know is worth more but eventually falls foul of the price you want. Thats Auctions - they're only as good as who's online or interested at the time of the Auction!! The great thing about EBay is the bargains and unfortunatley there are plenty of scoundrels out there to spoil it one way or another even though these Experts think they are doing the seller a good turn - The seller always has responsibilty on listing the item and that goes with the research, reserve, etc., etc.

It's funny you mention the spelling mistake though I bought a Scalextric RS Cosworth Set Mint in Box for 0.99p some years ago as the guy listed it as Scaletrix SR Coworths - He could tell my excitement in on the Paypal receipt and couldn't understand why one posted incomplete a week or so earlier fetched over £100. When I pointed it out he did see the funny side as he didn't want it anyway as it was in the attic like the Scorcher collecting dust.

What happened in the end - Did you buy or did the price rocket?

If you are worried about someone else finding out about the mislisted auction you have your eye on, make the seller a cash offer. Sure you might pass up getting a "Sand Smoker toy rc" for 99 cents but you are still doing well if you get the seller to end early for 40 dollars.

I completely agree rhenbelz, and I do that as well. The only problem is - the do-gooders often write to the sellers even quicker than I do. This has happened to me on numerous occasions because when you live on the other side of the world to Europe and the USA, it usually takes about 24 hours for sellers to write back. And that's more than enough time for some nitwit to get to the seller first, and write them a complete volume about the history of the item they are selling.

What's worse is that the seller often posts the resulting information on the auction page - which in turn becomes more text that is searchable via the eBay search. So once the secret's out, it's all over.

Cheers for the replies. [Y] I wasn't talking about a specific item really, just in general, as it seems to happen all the time. It even annoys me when it wasn't a bargain I wanted to win, as I can imagine how other people feel. You really have to wonder what kind of "service" some people think they are performing, when they make such a career out of spoiling bargains.

cheers,

H. 

Thing though is that independently of how much we post about it here, it won't change them, but am sure Hib just posted it to vent some anger.

Cheers 

H,

I completely understand your point and I agree... clearly those people do not want it themselves, otherwise they would bid in silence.

I guess it all comes down to "good old" envy again.

"if I can't have it, no-one can"

Sad people they are.....

Martin

These people who send a quick message telling somebody what they have... they`re the same people who would stop to give you a push when you car breaks down, or give up their seat on a bus for a little old lady. They`d run a business fairly and honestly, and not rip you off or try and hard sell you something you don`t need.

So yes, these people are evil. String them up as you all say. Let`s not have any honest or helpful people in the world. Lets only have slimy people who`ll rip anyone off and expect everything to fall into their fat little hands. Let`s only have the buyers who send messages saying "hi will you end the auction now for £LOW BALL OFFER" constantly. While we`re here, let`s not have any honest sellers either.

Ebay is not just a shop, it is a community. Butting into a face to face transaction is the height of bad manners I agree, but I think sending a note to somebody to tell them what they have listed should be respected and not frowned upon.

There are bargains on ebay but it`s not the best place to look for them. I`d say to anybody who wants that bargain snad scorcha for $50 ... get off your *** and go out looking for it around the flea markets, auctions, junk sales, second hand shops. Get up early in the morning and work for the bargains. It`s way more rewarding too.

Last year I picked up two Rough Riders and a Super Champ for about $50, and a whole load of other bargains, none on ebay. Ebay was were i spent the serious money to get me a new built RC10, that`s what it`s good for.

But I guess it comes down to the kind of world you want to live in.  

So if I would have stand next to you on the flea market when you picked up those bargains and I would have told the seller just before you bought them their value you would have highly appreciated me??[^o)]

I think not.....

I like to score a good deal, but I do business fair and will give a guy with car trouble a push.

I believe I am an honest guy and try to help people where I can so these things are not related in my opinion.

for example I sold some stuff last week and gave a price incl. shipping. At the postoffice the shipping was double what I calculated...I made a mistake...so the buyer was lucky, cause a deal is a deal, a mans word is his word. But if I can score a snad scrochet cheap...I will.

Martin

heh No, Interrputing a face to face transaction is plain rude, (as I said!)

If I see a bargain on ebay I`ll buy it, I don`t go around telling people what they have when they don`t know unless they ask in the listing if anybody knows what it is.

I was just trying to make the point that I don`t think it`s good form to call somebody evil for being generous enough to tell somebody when they`ve mis spelt their listing or have something valuable. I don`t do it myself, but I respect those who do, and I do appreciate it when somebody provides me with some information about something I am selling which I don`t know all about. I think it`s part of the community spirit of ebay and hobbies such as collecting RC generally.

I can understand the frustration, but like I say you`ve got to get yourself in the right place at the right time to catch the real bargains and ebay isn`t the best place to do it.

And one of the reasons why eBay isn't the best place to find bargains is precisely because of the people I originally wrote this thread about. [:)]

And as you'd admit, it would be just as annoying for you if those good samaritans were out and about, chatting to the sellers at your market.

They don't need to be interrupting your transactions as they happen. A closer analogy is that they might be wandering around the market ahead of you, informing people of what they are selling before you've had a chance to see it yourself. Which would prevent you from ever finding bargains like a Super Champ and Rough Rider for one tenth their potential value (well done there!).

But this doesn't happen so much at your market, so everything's peachy on that front. Also, I don't think eBay is any more or less a "community" than your average market. It's just bigger, and if anything, even less personal. th_flanders.jpg

Secondly, I think you're taking the "evil" references a bit too seriously. I started those, but I used the word in the context of Ned Flanders. (That would be Ned Flanders from The Simpsons.) 

And lastly, I do agree with you about finding bargains first hand, and how it's a more rewarding experience. After about 15 years of hunting for Tamiya bargains in everything from newspapers, to antique stores, to fishing tackle shops, to markets, to garages owned by Goggomobil collectors, I can vouch for the fact that nothing beats finding treasures first hand. On average, I "get off my ***" to physically go looking for treasures about once every fortnight.

Though these days, as local items become far more scarce, finding any treasures at all is enough to keep me happy. Which is why I also look on eBay, as a means to wander through the global marketplace.

cheers,

H.

I am going to have to stand next to axemandavva  on this one- a quick example, would be something that happened a couple years ago: a young lady was selling some extremely nice vintage Tamiyas; all absolutely mint, shelf queens, of which one happened to be a Blazing Blazer. She basically said that these were her Grandfathers toys, who took great joy in putting them together, and even more in looking at them each day. Unfortunately, she was selling these cars and trucks, due to her Grandfathers ailing condition, and they were really strapped for cash.

The listings were messed up to say the least. I think she had the word Tamiya in the title, but that was about it. So, me being the evil idiot, who can not keep his stupid mouth shut,  emailed her, and explained to her what she had, what it was, and that if she took better pictures, she would probably get a ton of money for it. She took my advice, and of course, the newly revised Blazing Blazer took in a ton of dough. I was not the only one who emailed her, as she went out of her way to thank all of the helpful people on ebay.

I guess I can see people getting mad at others for "spoiling" good bargains for others, but I know that I certainly appreciate it when somebody helps me out with some unknown piece of equipment that I am trying to sell.

To get mad at things such as this, kinda makes me think that people are taking this hobby wayyyyyy too seriously, but then again, who am I, and who cares, heh heh.

WG

If a homeless man was sitting on the kerb, with a Blazer and a sign that read "Selling my remote control truck for food - 50 bucks", I doubt there's a single Tamiya collector who'd take off with the car for $50, knowing it was really worth $500.

Likewise your example - if a seller states exceptional circumstances such as those, that's a completely different matter. But I tend to assume that all Tamiya collectors are fair and decent in those exceptional situations, and I haven't had the impression that anyone would behave otherwise? We've only been talking about regular, vanilla auctions.

Because if there are no exceptional circumstances, then everything is just another trade.

Every seller wants a good price, and every buyer wants a bargain. All parties approach the trade on even footing (preferably), and with one of these two simple goals in mind. And little has changed for thousands of years.

As for getting mad and therefore taking the hobby too seriously, well you're right of course. They're only little toy cars. [:P] Actually, I must admit that every once in a while that very thought hits me, and I almost feel like selling all of mine. I mean, why worry? Why spend time and money trying to find them, or collect them. Why photograph them, play with them, modify them, restore them and analyse them. In fact, why have a website about them. And why post on that website, in a thread about trying to find more of them....etc.

When you look down on it all, it's madness already, WG. [:)]  And we're all a party to it, just by being here. 

But I totally agree, there's no need to get really mad about missed bargains, at the very least. (Except that nobody was really mad....)

Such as it was, a (poor) attempt at something like a humourous rant (with a point), that took all of 10 mins. I didn't expect to have to defend it at all actually. Next time I'll use more smilies. [:P]

cheers,

H. 

See I`d probably take the blazer of the little old lady for 50 bucks! (i probably wouldn`t try to haggle her down though)

But i`d not feel angry if Woober Goober had tipped her off :)

Indeed. There was a Rough Rider, with gear, on the UK version for £12 start, with no reserve.

The auction was ended today, without warning (nor including the ability to end it early in the text). Grrrr. Some hobbies are strictly for the obscenely wealthy.

I

And while we are on the subject of ebay, please will people stop bidding wars when there are days and days left before it ends!!! 

I agree ! Nothing worse than an auction that has reached the max bidding thresghold within the first 2 days. . . . . .  .I always like to wait till the last day or two but sometimes by then the price has been "pushed" too high. 

And while we are on the subject of ebay, please will people stop bidding wars when there are days and days left before it ends!!! 

Mate, what does it matter? If people want to bid, you're not going to stop them, and they're not going to listen to you just because YOU don't want something bid up. eBay is a public place, people can (and will) do whatever they wish.

Alex

Common sense tells you that if people watched until the end instead of having pointless bidding wars, people might get stuff abit cheaper!

If an auction is sitting at £X with 3 days to go, for what reason do you need to bump it up to £Y for rather than watch it till near the end and THEN put a bid in?

Place the £Y bid early and all it will do is cause the £X bidder to then make it £Z price.

Everyone looses out... 

Common sense tells you that if people watched until the end instead of having pointless bidding wars, people might get stuff abit cheaper!

If an auction is sitting at £X with 3 days to go, for what reason do you need to bump it up to £Y for rather than watch it till near the end and THEN put a bid in?

Place the £Y bid early and all it will do is cause the £X bidder to then make it £Z price.

Everyone looses out... 

Also thought so before but often it works in the opposite way as people are scared away early and price doesn't rise close to the end, I have a feeling some clever bidders even use this to scare bidders away and get in the end for a bargain price. Anyway, in the end, as incredible_serious said, this is all theoretical talk, we cant change how others bid or contact sellers and maybe this is even better this way.

Cheers 

I sell things with no reserve. If nobody wants to make a fair bid on something valuable I`ll pull the auction, so that is one reason to bid early. (In reality I`ve only done this once in 400 items and that wasn`t on an RC thing)

Also when buying something, I find it is a good tactic to bid something up sooner. You state your intentions and scare off all those hunting a steal, and also some of the undecided bidders whom you might otherwise be competing with at the auction close.

hi folks.

umm just to throw in a spanner, has nobody considered the fact that ebay has 100's if not 1000's of ppl working for them and that, just they might have some employees working the sites to improve the seller fees values to them.

This kinda thing doesnt just happen on tamiya or rc related sales, but on all types of sales.

Hib is right of course, no one likes a snitch, we all want bargains, BUT, i suggest u will find ebay employees being paid to research and increase bids, in items that mislisted etc .

call me paranoid, call me a spanner....lol[:D]

just a view.

Mr. Ce

"fact that ebay has 100's if not 1000's of ppl working for them and that,

just they might have some employees working the sites to improve the

seller fees values to them"

Where is the fact in this statement? 

"call me paranoid"

You're paranoid.