Sign in to follow this  
EZ_78

F350 propellershaft problems

Hi Guys,

Questing for you. When building my F350 I noticed that the propellershafts are under strain. They seem to come free only when the suspension lowers. Í built it with soft suspension set-up. I now have removed the springs from the dampers (Chassis seemed a little lower after that). That seems to work a little.

So in my opinion the propellershafts are a bit to long in shortest position. Has anyone else noticed this or did I do something wrong during building? I went through the manual again but couldn't find anything.

The wheelbase should be expanded a little (2mm) I guess. That is what happens when you press the truck down as it was under load.

You guys have any ideas about what I should do?

It sould'nt be tight at all!! Sounds like something's a bit wrong there.

This sounds DAFT but i did it in haste!Check your axles are the right way as this'll make the prop very tight.

Steve.

If you are trying to say that as in up side down. Then they are correct just like the manual. Thanx anyway.

hmmm? no problems with mine either, would even take a suspesion lift without locking i think, does sound like somethings amiss, is the stubb sticking too far through the uj and hitting the yolk?

No that's not it. It just looks like the centre shaft piece (the parts that slides into the joints) is just a bit too long. Hope you understand what I mean. I don't know the right wordt to express my self clearly.

Ahh good - kind of.

My highlift has the same "problem" [:)]

Its very small, i'd say around half a millimetre movement of the suspension stops the "binding" - but its there.

And i think its due to the Soft suspension setting. I'm only running 2 leafs per corner - this means the axles are slightly closer to the chassis than they should be when the suspension is not under load (ie when the truck is off the ground).

Closer axles means the distance between the axle and the centre gearbox is slightly shorter - thus causing the propeller joins to bind.

Either that, or we both have dodgey propeller shafts - or dodgey building skills [;)

Fit an extra leaf and the problem should be solved.  

Got this mail from Steve (Biscuit):

Message left at you member details page...

Hi, some reason I can not send you a reply on the forum, it keeps asking me to sign in but I am, never mind my propshaft is also tight you have to push the diff forward to get the flat to line up with the grub screw, maybe the other guys had not notice this. Biscutt

I guess it's normal for the High-Lift.

I set the car up with soft suspension and removed the springs from the dampers. It's nice an soft now and has some articulation (is that spelled right?) on the axles.

Thank you all for the info.

Got this mail from Steve (Biscuit):

Message left at you member details page...

Hi, some reason I can not send you a reply on the forum, it keeps asking me to sign in but I am, never mind my propshaft is also tight you have to push the diff forward to get the flat to line up with the grub screw, maybe the other guys had not notice this. Biscutt

Yes!!  I have got back in, seem to have 2 user names, did you change the carstor blocks? this helps, or file the flats on the output shafts longer. I am running the standard set up with 3 springs, but when you look at it the top spring is not doing anything, so its only using 2 springs if you know what I mean, its just acting as a spacer, seen some other guys put the top spring underneath so its actully working as a spring but this will stiffen it up some what.

Biscuit or biscut,

Steve.

Hi Steve,

It's a lot better since I removed the springs from the dampers. think I'll let go like this for now.