Sign in to follow this  
robster959

Traxxas superten?

Hey all,

I got this car years ago.  After asking about it in a local shop (Taiwan) I was told it was a Traxxas copy of a Kyosho superten.  It's indeed the same size, and from some of the pictures I've seen looks very similar to some Kyosho supertens.  I can't find any info on it from Traxxas.  It came with Traxxas radio gear, Traxxas engine, and when I ordered a part for it, it came in a Traxxas package.  Has anyone seen or heard of this car before?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks alot,

Rob

post-22-1168082460.jpg

I am going to have to vote no. Traxxas isn't one to do copies (Duratrax is). You mentioned Traxxas had no info on it, their Legacy line (I think) shows all their past models and if it's not in there then it's not too likely to be Traxxas.

Unless it's a Duratrax I'm going to have to say it's a Kyosho that someone put Traxxas electronics in (but feel free to shoot me down anyone). Keep looking for identification marks and lettering on parts of it.

Another idea, where did you get it? There are generic manufacturers out there too, copying a Kyosho Superten is just like them. In that case you wouldn't likely find any identifying marks on it at all.

Hi,

It was bought new, RTR here in Taiwan.  As I said, when I ordered a front suspension mount, it came in a Traxxas Package.  When I go to the Traxxas site, they only list about 3 or 4 legacy models, but there are far more than that.  I also thought it might be an Asian market only thing they did or something.  Traxxas manufactures their stuff here.

Rob

Sorry if I came across as hasty, just wanted to rule out any obvious stuff first. I am not a big Traxxas guy.

I had a chat with my friend, a Traxxas nut. He said it was probably a Nitro Street Sport from my vague description, and that it was the only other nitro touring car he could remember Traxxas making.

Hey, no man, I didn't mean anything by my response - I wasn't suggesting you were being hasty.  I guess the "as I said before" might have sounded that way, but I was just putting in some more details as to why I'm pretty sure it's a traxxas.

My apoligies for coming across as being snappy or anything.

Thanks for looking into it.  I think I checked out the nitro street sport in the legacy secion on traxxas.com, it didn't have much in common.  I think it was the street, maybe not.

Thanks again,

Rob

Hi,

It was bought new, RTR here in Taiwan.  As I said, when I ordered a front suspension mount, it came in a Traxxas Package.  When I go to the Traxxas site, they only list about 3 or 4 legacy models, but there are far more than that.  I also thought it might be an Asian market only thing they did or something.  Traxxas manufactures their stuff here.

Rob

I'd say it's not Traxxas at all, but  if you bought a part for it that came in a Traxxas package, that confuses me.  What was the part# and where did you get it?  How did you know to buy that part if you don't know what the vehicle is?

Traxxas did make an onroad version of their 1/6 scale Monster Buggy, but that had a 23cc Zenoah gasoline engine & looks very different (and bigger) than your car. 

A guy who owns a shop here (Taiwan) recognized it right away when I brought it in.  He told me it was a Traxxas copy of a superten.  He even has an unused one in his cabinet.  I don't have the package anymore, so no #.  He also made a phone call to find out if the 2-speed trans was still available for it, but no luck.

Rob

Alot of that car is traxxas. The driveshafts, fuel tank, shocks, hubs, linkages and some other parts are all definately traxxas but the design is more like that of a kyosho. Did you contact Traxxas about the model?

Hi,

Thanks for the info.  I don't think I've actually contacted them, but I remember not being able to find out anything about it on their website in their history or legacy section.

Rob

Guys,

I was in a shop today and I found the car, NIB. It's called a Traxxas TRX-4. The box has a picture of it wearing a Ferrari f40 shell and silver dish wheels. I did a search on the net and came up with nothing. The car is rtr in the box, except for the clear shell, which in this case is hatchback civic!!

Rob

Guys,

I was in a shop today and I found the car, NIB. It's called a Traxxas TRX-4. The box has a picture of it wearing a Ferrari f40 shell and silver dish wheels. I did a search on the net and came up with nothing. The car is rtr in the box, except for the clear shell, which in this case is hatchback civic!!

Rob

I'd say you might want to contact Traxxas about it.

The other possibility is that it is a Traxxas 4-Tec (googling Traxxas "TRX 4" yields a lot of results that point in that direction).