netsmithUK

The Tamiyaclub Community Model - A Very Special Racing Buggy.

I'll set up a page all about it when I know what its final fate is.

Tyres - I'd already spotted that [;)]

Paint work. I'm all up for a custom job, but it could make or break the model. I also want the tamiyaclub branding on the model itself to be as subtle as possible. I fear that if its too "in your face" then Tamiya might reject the idea seeing it us trying to advertise ourselves in their main showroom, as opposed to it being a gesture of thanks from us to them (so anyone that wants to suggest a paint scheme, please bear that in mind)

BTW, for all those disappointed at no competition, there are enough spare parts left over to put together a real good, SRB Resto Pack or Project starter, so at about the same time we hand the model over to Tamiya we'll give away this as a prize on the club.

Chris

Tyres - I'd already spotted that [;)]

I kinda figured you would have, Had to say it just in case though! 

I also want the tamiyaclub branding on the model itself to be as subtle as possible. I fear that if its too "in your face" then Tamiya might reject the idea seeing it us trying to advertise ourselves in their main showroom,

Even if it were just a small sponsor style sticker of the club name or logo on one of the windows just to have the name somewhere on it, I can understand what you are saying though about it being too "out there"

BTW, for all those disappointed at no competition, there are enough spare parts left over to put together a real good, SRB Resto Pack or Project starter, so at about the same time we hand the model over to Tamiya we'll give away this as a prize on the club.

I Personally would hate to see this go to just one person and get locked away in their house never to see the light of day. Tamiya HQ is the perfect place i feel as the VSRB is there for everyone to see and all the hardwork put into it not get put to waste.....Just my two cents!

From a Tamiya collectors point of view I can't think of anything better than to know a model I had contributed to was sitting in Tamiya HQs very own showroom, but I appreciate others may have other ideas and it was not the original plan to which they contributed, which is why I am offering any parts back to those that have contributed but don't feel this is a fitting end for the model. No problem and no hard feelings - just email me and let me know.

This car is unbelievable. It's so nice, shiny, and I agree, it'll be really nice in the tamiya HQ

tom4 

Paint work. I'm all up for a custom job, but it could make or break the model. I also want the tamiyaclub branding on the model itself to be as subtle as possible. I fear that if its too "in your face" then Tamiya might reject the idea seeing it us trying to advertise ourselves in their main showroom, as opposed to it being a gesture of thanks from us to them (so anyone that wants to suggest a paint scheme, please bear that in mind)

Mite I suggest taking a more subtle approach, and painting it in boxart colours, but make a Tamiyaclub logo number plate to fit to it instead of the original.

Mite I suggest taking a more subtle approach, and painting it in boxart colours, but make a Tamiyaclub logo number plate to fit to it instead of the original.

i would second that or have the body sprayed in chrome & gold allclad paint to the box art style (pref by someone like shodog or toymaker)

and have the tamiyaclub logo on the number/leisense plate instead of the bit that says califiornia

Pete 

Im all for NON box art colors,Tamiya all ready has two Blue and White Sand schorchers on display.One is at the HQ and the other is at the First circut.Maybe the Yellow and Red paint,or you could have a contest about the paint.

Just an idea because covering up the great chassis with a box art body is boring,even if the body is sitting next to it on display nobody would look at it,they would all be checking out the chassis.

Most of the stuff on display at the Tamiya HQ is not Tamiya stuff.So getting away from Box art is more the Tamiya style

Just my 2 cents as having seen what Tamiya displays.

Woah, that is unbelievable, best SRB I've EVER seen! Love your idea to give it to Mr. T too, hope it all works out.

Bestest luck.

Bestest [8-)]

LOL!

Errm, i'd say go for NONE-BOXART!

As a way to get TC on it, how about a sunstrip on the window? Baja Style!

No TC logo...

I´ll go for Bigwheels_inc´s idea of TC logo at the place where it says "California" on the plates!!!
I say no boxart...
How about make a wallpaper for all us to download to our computers?

Badboy

That'll make a nice runner, looks like it needs to get a bit muddy [;)]

I think that sending it home to Tamiya HQ is a great idea - it would be even better if there was a chance for it to be exhibited in some way at model shows worldwide so people could see it for real. I agree with what you say about giving it away in a compo, I don't think there would be any way you could do that without a lot of emotional reaction to whoever won it, regardless of whether or not it ended up for sale somewhere.

I've been watching the progress on and off for the past couple of years, and it's great to see that it's nearing completion.

Hate to be the voice of dissent, but it almost seems like Chris is having to push this thing on Tamiya HQ.........It almost seems as if  the potential recipients of such a magnificent machine may never appreciate it. How about TamiyaUSA HQ........after all, Pleiku68 spent oodles on that gold plating, so why not let him present it over here? Could we take a vote??

If I've given the impression that in anyway Tamiya are being 'funny' about it or dragging their heals then that is completely wrong. The last bit of feedback I got from them was "Thanks for the photos - WOW!"

We are dealing with a large company and I'm trying to get to the man at the top and then have him place something in his companies headquarters showroom where it will be seen by anyone visiting their company. There is going to be a process involved in that just the same as there would with any company. No offence to anyone, but settling for Tamiya USA would feel a little like 'second best'

Pleiku68 was the first to agree to meeting me in Japan for the hand over.

The wheels are in motion and this sort of thing takes to long to arrange to put it to the vote I'm afraid, which is why I've given those that contributed and disagree the option of having their parts returned (or like for like, as some of them have been plated now)

Cheers

Chris

I have been traveling the past few months and this is the first time I have seen the Car since shipping it back to Chis a few months ago.

The pictures came out beautiful and enhances the look of my plating.

I used every part that Chris sent..Some required lots of refurbishing..but to keep with the theme of the community car it was worth the time and effort. The tranny case took four days in the vib finisher and lots of file work..lol..I added some of the more difficult to find parts from my own stash..I wanted it to whole and it is...

Heres what I know about the parts...

Shodog donated the rear cage and front bumper, Twinset supplied the chassis, Rad donated the awsome wheels..

I have done probably 12 fully restored cars through the refinishing process but this one I spent many hours restoring..I wanted it to be perfect.

Hope it meets all the expectations and finds a nice home in Mr. Tamiya show room...

Chris, I enjoyed the project..lots of fun...

I will be doing an exact replica of this car and a Rough Rider some time this year for my own collection but I will not display them in my show room to distract from the Original....REgards Jerry

My $0.02

Wicked job, well done to all that contributed!

Don't go box art, something Tamiya Club colour specific

Do add a TC logo and web addr.  If Mr. Tamiya won't accept and display it with this then unfortunately he's not the appropriate caretaker

Nobody should ever own this, hand it over with a perpetual lease certificate then they can't sell it

Good to see it finally came togther! I just never expected it to be this nice [Y]

I think the "build" has been going for over 3 years now? I like the idea of it being at Tamiya HQ, a tribute to Tamiya and to the people who made it possible (well deserved).

I too think the TC logo should be on it, no opinion on where exactly.

Martin

I too think the TC logo should be on it, no opinion on where exactly.

How about a scale size "Windshield Banner" ? across either the top of the front windshield or the top of the back windshield ? 

I Still say Go with the chrome and gold paint scheme to match the chassis in "box art style" with no decals

if you can get someone to spray the body with Alclad it would match the chassis and show all the hard work people have put into this car

Pete

How about a scale size "Windshield Banner" ? across either the top of the front windshield or the top of the back windshield ? 

SHAME ON YOU  [:|] There is no rear windshield on a pukka Scorcher [:D]

SHAME ON YOU  [:|] There is no rear windshield on a pukka Scorcher [:D]

Um, oops - it ain't a truck so I wouldn't know [;)].

It'salways a great joy to seeyour outstanding work Jerry!

Forget Xibit and WestCoastCustoms - it's all Jerry & east cost customs! Pimp My Rc Car!

The origins of this project were before my TC time, but right now, I am

wowed!! This is really some Scorcher!! About a body, this might sound

crazy, but how about using a Blizter Beetle Chrome Edition body, with

TC-specific appoints? Just a thought...

The origins of this project were before my TC time, but right now, I am

wowed!! This is really some Scorcher!! About a body, this might sound

crazy, but how about using a Blizter Beetle Chrome Edition body, with

TC-specific appoints? Just a thought...

The man has a point....you could spray candy colours over it to give chrome colours (i'm prettysure it works), Maybe even a chrome box art scheme (Blue and white....Or at least blue and chrome in this case!) It would definately stand out if it works.

Just a thought

Matt 

I think we should go with something classy, clean and simple and unique to the club. Not a million miles away from the box art, but enough to make it stand out. Maybe base it on one of the real baja buggies that was around at the time.

I've got a feeling if we put any sort of 'plastic' chrome anywhere near the chassis its going to stick out like a cheap sore thumb.

The chassis I think represents the pride and value we give to these old models, I think the body should represent our actual modelling and painting talents and pay a respectful nod to the original Tamiya design team.

cheers

Chris

Hey Chris, is that still the ratty old gearbox I sent? Looks fantastic!!!!!!!! either way. Pleiku is a master of the art indeed .

Now this is an 'if I get time thing' (moving house right now) when every body gets a pretty concrete idea about paint job (which may be some time LOL) I'm happy to apply it to my virtual scorcher so you can get an idea of how it'll look, should be pretty easy if boxart type masking lines are used as I've already got them set which can be any colour with any decals.

I hava another idea for the body. How about using a lexan beetle body

and painting it Scorcher boxart, except make it transparent! That way,

you can see the awesome workmanship underneath, but still have the

classic scorcher look.