Sign in to follow this  
tamiya_mike

My Monster Beetle's problem

I just picked up a MB for a steal, and it looks great...it has some damage but nothing that is not fixable.

The issue that I am having is (1) It doesn't seem to be very fast...grass nearly stopped it in its tracks!  Also, the gearbox seems to be quite loud...especially in reverse.  I thought that perhaps it could be the motor, so I swapped it out and still the same.  There is a small white plastic "plug" on one the left side of the box (looking at it fromthe rear).  If I press hard on this plug, the noise/chatter almost goes away.  This "plug" also spins while the motor is running.

Anyone else had this issue?  I am aware of gearbox issues in these...and I know that these babies are supposed to fly, or so I thought.  Any help would be appreciated.

Hi,

Having just looked at my MB and manual, it looks to me as the art your refering to is the part #B1, a small plastic cap that sits over the "counter gear" in the gear box. There should be one on both sides!!! It may pay you to download the manual page (page #11) It could be that one of the gears has stripped, hence the chattering noise.

Russ

I think Russ is right, sounds like one of the gears have stripped.

The counter gear on the monster beetle can strip along the teeth that mesh with the diff gear - this would cause the issues you have described. And a possible cause for this is a missing B1 cap. its less common for the gear to strip where it meshes with the pinion - but if it has its easier to see when you have the motor off.

the caps hold in place the metal shaft that the counter gear rotates on. A missing or damaged cap would cause the counter gear to go out of allignment - rubbing on the diff gear and stripping its teeth.  

If the gearbox is noisy under no load (run the car off the ground) then there is a problem with either the plastic counter gear or plastic diff gear. Also, if the noise keeps up while the car is moving, its the same gears that are probably damaged.

It could also be a build error causing the problem - check both

bearings are in place (and in good condition) on the counter gear shaft.

If you are getting a "crunching" sound when pulling away, or when the gearbox is under heavy load - its the metal diff gears that are at fault.

Also, check nothing has gotten into the gearbox, or that nothing is caught up around the drive shafts and rear wheels.  

The chassis is very easy to work on, so dont worry about taking the rear end apart to find the problem. let us know how it goes [:)]

It should drive over grass with no problems. The MB is also pretty fast even with a silver can motor! 

First download the manual and rebuild the gearbox. The white plastic parts, gearbox side plates if they are bent, and the metal diff gears are easy to replace as they are the same as the rerelease Frog ones. You can also use the Frog gears if you use the 52 tooth spur gear if you can't get hold of Monster Beetle gears.

It can struggle on grass due to the wheels spinning in the tyres. Either glue the tyres to the wheels or (what I use) fit a rubber band inside the grooves in the wheels, so the tyres sit on the rubber bands which stops the slipping. 

or (what I use) fit a rubber band inside the grooves in the wheels, so the tyres sit on the rubber bands which stops the slipping. 

Genius!, thanks for that. 

OK...I just took the gear box apart, and behold! The counter gear is shredded. Thank You all who helped me out on this one. It is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Glad you sorted it mate, have you got the counter gear needed? If not, shoot me a PM as i have a used spare one i could post to you. It's a bit "dirty" but all teeth are present which is an improvement on what you have!! lol