Sign in to follow this  
Corpse Thrower

Walkera helicopter....any good?

I know this isn't Tamiya related, but it is RC related, so mods you can move this to the right section if you choose.

After mastering my little 2 channel heli (basically going up and down and spinning it round) I'm ready for a bigger challenge.

I was thinking of the Walkera 60 7 channel heli. Has anyone had experience with these? I know it will be hard to fly, but I want something challenging.....and cheap....which these helis seem to be. I don't want to spend big bucks on it, its just for a bit of fun. Any other helis to look at in this very cheap and nasty price range?

Thoughts?

I got one of those flying boat things off ebay which is made by Walkera and I would say the quality is not brilliant. It seems to work OK (I keep crashing it because I'm rubbish at flying it) but I would guess you get what you pay for...

I've got a four channel helicopter aswell which I can't fly...

In fact I've got a spare four channel helicopter (an Eco Piccolo) if you fancy it - no radio gear though... 

I have been involved with nitro helis for quite a few years now, I bought one of these last year as my first electric heli and I can recomend it. http://www.jperkinsdistribution.co.uk/deta...s%20-%20Twister I'm not sure what your budget is if you give me a clue I might be able to give you a bit more advice. The general rule with helicopters is the bigger they are the more stable the flight characteristics and the easier they are to fly, more so with the smaller ones as a slight increase in size represents a bigger % increase in relation to their size. However when learning YOU WILL CRASH this is part of the process. Have you got a flight sim? if not get one first, they are great fun and the right ones are great learning/training tools this will help you decide if you want to take the hobby further.

I can recommend you the Walkera 4, it's cheap and very robust as it's fixed pitch. Had more fun out of it then my larger CP heli, a Graupner Micro Star 400, very similar to the one you show. With the Micro Star 400, a hard landing is $20, and a fairly hard crash will be $50, apart from all the work it takes to fix it every time. But with the Walkera 4 a hard landing is usually no damage, a big crash likely not even $10! Get a lot of spares just in case and start practise! Also fit a few decent servo's, even the cheap transparent blue ones on eBay are good. It will set you back $10 for 2, but you will get a much better controlable machine... [:)]

I must say the Micro Star can also be fun, but if I look back, I probably would never had bought it as it so far cost me an arm and a leg without enjoying a great deal of flying...