Sign in to follow this  
jakethesnake

Pinion gears?

I've just recently started running my tt01 chassis car which I built earlier in the year.

It's ballraced, alu prop and has Orion Havok 21T motor with 20T ESC. It seems fairly fast to me with the kit gearing. If I change to a 20 or 21 tooth pinion will this improve the acceleration ?.

I'm guessing a smaller spur gear will increase the top speed ?.

I need to add the 50746 CVA mini shocks to it as the standard friction dampers are pretty bouncy!!.

You need to be careful with your gearing... At the moment how hot does your motor get towards the end of a run? If you can keep your finger on it for more than 5 seconds with out shouting "Oh **** that's hot!" then try going for a pinion 1 or 2 teeth bigger. If the motor is still not getting really hot go up another step.

Bigger pinion will mean a higher top speed but lower acceleration. Smaller spur means the same.

Bear in mind that if the motor gets too hot you may damage it or at worst melt the chassis.

This decision also depends on where you drive. There is no point in having a huge top speed if none of the straights are long enough to allow you to get there. As a general rule of thumb, I aim to hit top speed about 1/2 to 3/4 way down the main straight. This way the car is not suffering from low acceleration on the track and will do the best lap times.

Ok, next time I run the car I'll check to see how hot the motor gets.

It's a 21x2 Orion Havok motor and I have the tt01 heatsink on it.

The car is fully ballraced and I'm running it around a fairly large flat tarmac car park. I feel I could use more top speed so I'll try a 20T pinion first.

Thanks [;)]