Sign in to follow this  
AmericanSpeed

On-road Chassis Differences - TA vs TB vs . . .

I am thinking about an on-road car next, but am lost in the the TA vs TB vs TL, etc.  I searched for an FAQ site on the topic, wondering if anyone has a handy dandy comparison chart or the like.

Was thinking BMW Mini, but am not a fan of FWD, now maybe an Impreza or Focus WRC.

Thanks all.

I think you will find that if your club racing the mini is a no no as most run saloons like the Stratus etc. 4wheel drive.

My personal likes are belt drive for wood (slippy) tracks and shaft drive for carpet (grippy) tracks; though others use both for wood and carpet.

If your staying with Tamiya and go for belt drive, my advice would be Tamiya TA05 or if shaft drive and its a question of cost then TB02, but preferably a TB EVO4 or 5, more tunable in my opinion. 

Hope this helps you in your choice, though other members will also give conflicting advice; after all its a question of personal choice and pocket.

Good racing anyway what ever your choice

There is not a definite logic to the Tamiya chassisi codes.

Roughly...

T* - is a touring car chassis of some sort

TA - Original series of touring cars. higher numbers are more recent developments

TB - Series of shaft drive touring cars, with the shaft down the centre.

TB Evo - pure racing shaft drive cars.

TL - The TL01 was Tamiya's "new" beginner chassis in about 1999.

TT - The TT01 is Tamiyas current beginner chassis.

TRF*** - racing developed chassis, some limited edition.

M - Mini chassis.

D* - Off-road chassis

CC - Cross country chassis

etc etc etc.

The main question is for what is this chassis going to be used for, You mention an impreza/focus wrc car.

Does this mean street style tarmac rallying in which Case I would recormend a cheaper plastic tub based kit. An ideal example that I use is the TB01 for which I have my spare chassis for sale currently at £50 with a lancer VI rally shell.

Should You want to be more compedative at a club level then other more racing orientated cars e.g. the TA05 will be needed - However be aware as these cars and more setup sensetive as well as being far more open and unsuited to street/rally running.

If you could tell us for what the car is to be used for then we will be in a better position to advise you on possible purchases.

Best regards Ryck